Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #156 - New Assets in Update 1.5

Hey there Ylanders!

As with every update, 1.5 is bringing a lot of cool stuff, including revamped Exploration and custom bitmaps. But another great addition to the game will be the heap of assets, that are coming to Ylands. 

The theme of our assets in 1.5 are Native American cultures and we have a slew of cool new items, that you'll be able to add to your games.

First off we have added some very neat weapons to the Native American tribes in Ylands, be it the feathered crossbow, bow or rifle and the Shaman will get a unique set of clothes. We have also added a new Chieftain headdress, which will be also craftable in Exploration. Another craftable addition are the new stone tablets depicting different creatures of myth and legend and a new totem block representing the Wendigo. The Wendigo is also getting his own statue, which you'll be able to craft in Exploration and will be a good way to warn adventurers off of a certain dangerous area ?

image (111).png

But that's not all! We have also added a new Sunplate armour set to represent pre-Columbian cultures in Central America with their own choice of cool weapons to choose from. This will also include some new stone furniture to go with the aesthetic. 

image (110).png

And finally, a new monster is joining the mix: The Totem Golem! A fearsome adversary that communes with nature and fiercely defends the natives from harm.

image (113).png

And the best thing about these additions is, that now our designers have them available and will be adding them to Random Encounters for update 1.6 so look out for these in the future ?

And that's all for today, so until next time, stay classy Ylanders ?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

While you’re here

And I'm always here ?️

16 minutes ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Is the new 120 times map size on track for 1.5?

Yes, there should be 100 - 120 maps available to travel to. And when you explore all of them, just delete a few of them and new ones will appear ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

And I'm always here ?️

Yes, there should be 100 - 120 maps available to travel to. And when you explore all of them, just delete a few of them and new ones will appear ?

Some say you answer the phone in the bathroom at 4 AM ?. You just missed my other message that’s why I said it ?

That sounds great, hope you can get it done in time for a great Christmas for everyone :)

Just now, RedEagle_P1. said:

Some say you answer the phone in the bathroom at 4 AM ?

Might be true ?

1 minute ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

That sounds great, hope you can get it done in time for a great Christmas for everyone :)

Ï think we can, but a lot of work is still needed and I think 1.6 will be excellent ? 

59 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Might be true ?

Ï think we can, but a lot of work is still needed and I think 1.6 will be excellent ? 

So you don’t know if this will come out in 1.5?

2 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Something thing to think about it .

14 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Yes it will ? But even more features and stuff will be added to 1.6 is my point ? With 1.5 we'll be putting out this feature and it will be a kind of experiment to see, if it works well and what you guys would change on it and then according to feedback, we'll perfect it in 1.6 (and 1.7 if anything major props up).

• Like 1

@Adam Snellgrove First time posting here in a while... I have a comment regarding blueprints in 1.6. From what I understand we won't be able to change explore maps in the editor anymore, due to the issue of placing stuff like creator cubes in your world. This is a big issue for me since it means you can no longer create blueprints out of intricate creations made in the editor. (The current workaround is to load an explore world in the editor, place a creation, load back explore world and capture creation with camera).

It's time you added the ability to export blueprints directly from the editor. It's been a frequently requested and sorely missed feature since blueprints were first introduced. You can't cheat with blueprints in the way mentioned above, since blueprints need to be constructed with materials found in the game. Building in explore has always been clumsy, so allowing people to create blueprints directly in the editor gives a reason for the average explore player to use the editor as well.

I'm glad you're finally starting to improve explore. Allowing people to visit "your island" is a great sustainable reason for people to keep playing, by improving their home to impress visitors. I think you've got something there!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, zarwil said:

@Adam Snellgrove First time posting here in a while... I have a comment regarding blueprints in 1.6. From what I understand we won't be able to change explore maps in the editor anymore, due to the issue of placing stuff like creator cubes in your world. This is a big issue for me since it means you can no longer create blueprints out of intricate creations made in the editor. (The current workaround is to load an explore world in the editor, place a creation, load back explore world and capture creation with camera).

It's time you added the ability to export blueprints directly from the editor. It's been a frequently requested and sorely missed feature since blueprints were first introduced. You can't cheat with blueprints in the way mentioned above, since blueprints need to be constructed with materials found in the game. Building in explore has always been clumsy, so allowing people to create blueprints directly in the editor gives a reason for the average explore player to use the editor as well.

I'm glad you're finally starting to improve explore. Allowing people to visit "your island" is a great sustainable reason for people to keep playing, by improving their home to impress visitors. I think you've got something there!

I think it's to easy to create a boat or a house in the editor compar to creat it by "hand" in the survival mode, and some people can exploit the fact that you can add bloc inside another bloc and create "abomination" like a 3fps boat or a house that is realy hard to create by hand, I think blueprints need to be focus on exploration and compositions for the editor, no cross creation. 

Just now, Bob Salvador said:

I think it's to easy to create a boat or a house in the editor compar to creat it by "hand" in the survival mode, and some people can exploit the fact that you can add bloc inside another bloc and create "abomination" like a 3fps boat or a house that is realy hard to create by hand, I think blueprints need to be focus on exploration and compositions for the editor, no cross creation. 

Ships don't get laggy due to the amount of normal building blocks, they get laggy due to misc items. All the "normal" blocks get welded together and thus are seen as one entity in the game, so even if you have 1000s of blocks it won't lag. Even if this was seen as a problem, the devs can easily put a limit on number of blocks allowed in a composition. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with @zarwil. I know the only way currently to use the blueprint camera is to own exploration DLC, however it would be easier to save the blueprint from the editor. Currently to make a blueprint from a composition it involves too many steps of opening exploration to use your blueprint camera after you have imported the composition from editor....thats a lot of opening and closing editor and explore just to make a blueprint. It's time consuming and a bit of a hassle. I'm not saying do away with the camera, but just make it an option for people that own exploration to make the blueprint directly from editor. If they don't own exploration then it shouldn't be an option. Seems like an easy enough fix.

• Like 1

Also @zarwil I know if they don't give that option soon, you will still be able to open old style explore maps to make the blueprints.....but I think your way is better.

• Like 1