Deadeye_Rob

Exploration 1.5 - Collective Suggestions

Question

Hi guys,

@Aleš Ulm @Adam Snellgrove

So far I’m really impressed with 1.5 and it’s safe to say that My attention to Ylands feels rejuvenated! Following on from this weeks Dev Diary update I have collected a long list of things that could be improved with the game. These suggestions are the culmination of approximately 2000hrs worth of play time on my part and range from large to small-scale changes and additions. I hope you like them and if anyone of them specifically jumps out as a good idea, please comment!

Quality of Life Improvements

• Spotlights are great for illuminating specific objects with a shaft of coloured light. However the bulb/lense of the spotlight will always shine a yellow tone regardless of the colour. Can the colour of the lense match the spot of light? This would be great for traffic light based formats. On that note can we have white as a colour too? -Suggestion partially Implemented!
  • Tree Bark & Oak bark are classified as different categories, which sometimes causes inventory clutter. Could we remove it so that they can be stacked?
  • Tool boxes should be able to accept knives, chisels, screwdrivers etc-Suggestion Implemented!
  • A secondary function of pens could be to change the name of an item when equipped. Sacks could be labelled as ‘Grain Sack’ and doors could be renamed to ‘Robs house’ for example.
  • Decorating houses with freeplaced items is at the core of exploration culture. It also clutters a players ability to interact with objects. A tool that could ‘Weld’ items to remove the ability to pick them up would be very welcome.

Energy & Power

• We have small Steam Generators, lets have some larger ones that run for longer. Steam could be a cheaper alternative to ylandium to power base grids.
  • Higher tier upgrades to workstations could incorporate powered crafting stations that could craft faster or process materials with a higher yield. An energy powered lumbermil that produces more planks than a saw for example.
  • Power packs are fantastic for storing energy, stationary batteries would be the next logical step. Furthermore, power packs could definitely have a greater use.
  • Energy weapons. Following on from the last point, energy weapons are a logical evolution and also controversial due to the theme. Power packs would be the ammo.
  • Minecraft has Pistons, Starmade has rails. Maybe Ylands could have something inbetween for mobile blocks?
  • Renewable energy generation. We have wind turbines. We could also have watermills and maybe even solar?

Barrier Generator

• Its already been highlighted, but barriers could have mechanisms to allow players to share building space. The original owner could decide on certain permissions such as terraforming and construction.
  • Mechanisms could be made to reduce or increase barrier influence

Vehicle Improvements

• With ships playing a critical role in 1.5, lets introduce some more diversity. I would like to see more ship components including oriental/Arabic designs from the renaissance.
  • Same suggestion applies to car components.

Alchemy, Food & Potions

• I would love to see more potion recipes. Invisibility, health regeneration, water walking etc
  • Poisons would be very useful, when applied to swords and arrows would deliver effects like reduced movement, blindness, health drain.
  • Introduce a late-game ability to cultivate and grow Magic Blossoms. (Note, reduction in value when selling to NPCs to prevent excessive profit)
  • Beer brewing by subjecting wheat to fermentation in barrels. Would produce initial positive effects followed by drawbacks from excessive consumption. This would also introduce the potential for players to create taverns and points of social interest.
  • Food-specific workstation variants. Mechanised sausage machine, fish smoker, pizza oven. Crafting at a reduced time and produces higher-teir foods with positive effects.

NPCs & Creatures

• More sea life capable of producing a useful resource for exploitation. Sharkskin leather, whale oil fuel etc. Whales in particular would have an exceptionally high health but would drop a huge quantity of food and oil. They would be passive in nature until provoked.
  • With enough gold accumulated through mining or trade, a player can purchase an NPC merchant. The merchant can be stocked with goods to sell or instructed to buy specific items. An NPC merchant will allow visiting players to trade indirectly with the host player.

Misc Improvements

• Make as many uncraftable assets craftable. (Gold Coins, Blank Sign variants etc)
  • Introduce editable blank books to write extended notes.
  • Introduce Paper/leather scrolls. Scrolls can be sealed with resin and can only be opened by the intended recipient. Resin can also be used to authenticate letters.

Thats about it guys! Please take a look through them and let me know what you like. Some of these can be easily done through adjustments and tweaks whilst others would require a shift in development. I hope this offers some fresh ideas and that you guys at Ylands Development will get a kick out of some. 

cheers guys!

Rob

Edited by Deadeye_Rob
Updated to reflect current implemented features.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

All good suggestions! (I doubt they will do the beer suggestion though. Lots of kids play the game)  My own suggestions are I would still like to see craftable books and paintings.  I do like the idea of more diversity in energy. there's only 2 types of ylandium engines and 4 types of coal engines. A few more models would be awesome. Also yes more ship types and car bodies. Ship types especially since a lot of people plan on living on their ships now in exploration. I also think since we can make a raft, how about a canoe? It could go a little faster than the raft. The toolbox suggestion is already in the works according to Adam, but I thought after they invented it....how about a lunchbox? Store all your food there.  Another thing I would like to see is more types of traps. Right now all we got is wooden and iron spikes. How about a snare? Bring back the beartrap, maybe landmines for griefers, swinging logs with spikes hanging from trees, etc. I also think a little more diversity for animals...especially domesticated cows and chickens. (dogs and cats can maybe come later?) 

Edited by spiritchaser28

45 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

The toolbox suggestion is already in the works according to Adam.

That's good to hear! As it so happens, during my adventures today I realized that Spotlights now in fact show the colour they're set to. So that's now been achieved!

I would like another tool if its not in there already that i jsut cant find... a wall smooother...like a vertical shovel? i like building my house and stuff on top and then build a basement to hide all my junk..or sometimes and underground smithy and pretend to be a dwarf..lol

• Upvote 1