Jstuts

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-28170] Move function in editor

In the past couple of days I have found that the 'move' and 'rotate' functions only rarely work properly. I don't know the lingo, folks, so please bear with me. The colored gizmo with the three colored arrows that I used to be able to drag on no longer function most of the time. I know that when I used to hover around the arrows I would find a sweet spot that would make the arrow a paler color, then I could do the drag and the object would move. Now I don't get that happening at all and I cannot move objects most of the time. Same with rotate. This seems like a big deal! What good is editor if I can no longer use it to move objects! All hands on deck, team! Please?

Sorry to hear this is happening :( We haven't experienced this yet, but could you maybe send us a video of this happening, so we have more of a idea, when this is happening? Also do you have a controller plugged to your computer, because that sometimes messes with the controls of the game.

@Jstuts @Adam Snellgrove I'm guessing this is happening in relation to ships? I've encountered this countless times and talked about it on the forums several times (even in PM conversations with Adam IIRC), so it's surprising that you haven't experienced this yet. 

This bug can occur in many different scenarios. One way to replicate it is to place a ship composition somewhere in the editor (ship need to be moderately complex, with many misc items etc... you can use this for testing: https://play.ylands.com/asset/1249), make sure the construction mode is turned off, test the game in the editor, return back into the editor and try to edit the ship. Once you have managed to find the hitbox of the ship component and activate the construction mode again, you will see what Jstuts is talking about. 

Here's a video showing what happens after you follow the steps above. The ship becomes almost ethereal, hitboxes are impossible to find, can't use move tools.. etc: 

I should also mention that there is a "workaround"

First, make sure to always have construction mode turned on at all times when handling ships in the editor. 

Second, if you end up in the situation above, try to activate construction mode, copy the ship, delete the old one, and paste the copy. Double check that construction mode is on.

Edited by zarwil
  • Like 2

Good vid. I also noticed when using the move function it does not seem to center the entities chosen the way it used to. when you used to click on the arrows without actually moving the blocks it would move the blocks to align properly with the ground or the water....now it seems to leave gaps in places. The only way I have been able to work around this for ships especially is to build the ships on the ground at zero axis for x,y, and z in editor.  Not certain why the Y axis default is no longer zero. It makes blocks on the ground appear to be hovering with slight shadows underneath if you just start placing blocks without properly centering the build first. This causes a lot of confusion if the composition is saved as a blueprint if it is not centered correctly. Mainly because if you try to add blocks to the built blueprint later in the game, none of the blocks will snap correctly.....forcing people to freeplace.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this topic. Yes, my problems have been experienced in a ship. The ship was in construction mode and had been placed on the ground. I will try the suggestion to copy the ship, and to paste the copy. I'll get back with you on this. I appreciate deeply the replies and the discussion you all gave!

Thank you again all. Yes, I did the workaround you (spiritchaser28 and zarwil) suggested and it worked fine!

• Like 1