Deadeye_Rob

KNOWN ISSUE Low FPS when using Ships

Question

Hi there!

So I've been playing around with a ship who's design is quite detailed, but it has next to no free-placed objects on board.

When playing Exploration on my own offline/locally hosted maps I have no issues whatsoever. Upon sailing to a map hosted by someone else -Including the Official ones- however, I experience game-crippling drops in frame rates. I believe this occurs due to the mass of my ship 'bobbing' in the waves. I experience no issues when in construction mode or when the anchor is engaged which leads me to believe that there is a lot of resources being drained to sustain the free movement of the ship as it's rocked by the waves.

I suspect this could be the servers desperately trying to synchronize the free movement of the ship as it moves unanchored in the waves as I have tried lowering the graphic settings as low as possible in spite of my rig being pretty powerful.

Could this be looked in to? Maybe there could be a workaround regarding block-welding or a reduction in the amount of resources spent on making a ship bob in the waves? Whilst the ship design is pretty hefty, I suspect that as larger designs are inevitably going to be built in the future, this may be an impending issue.

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

Hi there! 

Let me pass this onto the team to see what can be done :) 

Thanks for letting us know! 

dsfasdf.gif

• Thanks 2

Is there any chance you could please send me the blueprint, composition or even a save of a game where your ship is docked with the anchor down? 

We know of these issues with large structures like yours but we want to take a look to see if there is a way to help you with this :) 

giphy (2).gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nikki Severin said:

Is there any chance you could please send me the blueprint, composition or even a save of a game where your ship is docked with the anchor down? 

We know of these issues with large structures like yours but we want to take a look to see if there is a way to help you with this :) 

giphy (2).gif

I can send it to you in pm's :P

Also, I made a multiplayer map testing this exact issue before (With considerably smaller ships than the one in question), and sent it to Adam.

Here's the lag test map: SHIP BATTLE LAG TEST.rar

There are two issues at play here; huge lag spikes when loading in big ships, and crippling FPS drops during sailing in multiplayer. The former you can play around with the comp I send you, the second you can test with the scenario above. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zarwil said:

crippling FPS drops during sailing in multiplayer.

This is particularly game breaking. I can just about pilot my ship off-map to leave. But this is assuming that I’m already using the helm.

With such a low FPS the game no longer registers my attempt to right-click the helm. This means I cannot take control of my vessel, effectively rendering me stuck in a FPS trap.

The only way out is to open the regional map and delete the location from my map.

As it stands, I cannot visit any multiplayer/online maps.

• Upvote 1