Ane

0.19: Boats & Buccaneers (06/12/2016)

CHANGELOG

Boats & Buccaneers - 06/12/2016

THE_LINE.png

The big ships are here! I want to go explore the sea - what do I have to do to sail away? Basically, there are two different sized hulls, that include a ladder, so that you can get into the ship, and a helm, that will let you control it (but you can place these wherever you want to as well). As an extra part, you'll need a mast with sails, otherwise you won't be able to move, and having a wind indicator can always come in handy. Just as with the small boat, you'll have to take wind into account when sailing. And that's it! The rest really depends on you - you can add anything, from cannons to building an art gallery on it. 

Oh, and this time I'd recommend having the music on when launching the game :) 

THE_LINE.png

HIGHLIGHTS

• Large and customizable ships
  • Small and large cannon - you'll be able to shoot them as long as you have cannon balls in your inventory
  • New (mostly MP) scenario: Buccaneer Bay
  • Players can now find Random encounters even at the sea, marked by floating debris. Please note that some may be located too deep for the players to get to them without specific water-breathing items.
  • Every time the player dies now a new panel is shown giving players options based on the current scenario. They can exit the game to the Main menu, Respawn, or Respawn as a new character. In Explore scenario dying now results in the player's items being dropped on the ground next to their corpse (where others can claim it) with items getting some damage. Players respawn at the starting point so if they want their inventory/equipment back, they need to get to the place where they died
  • Due to some optimizations incompatible with the old code the content of maps that players have might have been cleared
  • [Launcher] Fixed the "deleting directory ../tmp/ failed" error users with Avast have been getting (you will have to either reinstall the game or download a new setup)

THE_LINE.png

NEW FEATURES

• Characters can be now randomly generated and rotated in the Character creation panel
  • Hearts indicating players' health now disappear gradually, making even the small damage dealt to players more obvious
  • Added hints into the descriptions of items that can be equipped, containing information about slots where those need to be put
  • Players are now able to see the selected scenario's Respawn rules
  • Some actions are now on cooldown
  • Groups in catalog now have more accurate names and images
  • LMB clicking an item in a container now moves it from the container into the inventory instead of showing the item detail panel (the original behavior was found to be confusing to many players)
  • Crafting panel can now be opened with a dedicated key (default: O - please note that if the default key doesn't work for you, you may need to reset the keybindings or set it manually)
  • Specific building blocks (oriental, the ones used in the Wild West scenario etc.) can no longer be crafted (as they were not used this way and made the crafting system needlessly bloated). They can still be placed in the level from the Catalog or via Editor
  • Pressing Toggle Inventory key now only closes the Character panel when the Inventory tab is active, otherwise it changes to the Inventory tab first
  • No level sounds are played in the editor (unless players switch in to the Character mode)
  • Existing games in the list can now be sorted either by date or name
  • Added icons to make it easier to notice the current Character panel mode (Inventory / crafting / catalog)
  • Games can now be renamed (via Advanced options accessible by clicking the game preview with RMB)
  • Added visual hints to make it more obvious that Game logic objects can be renamed by clicking their name in their settings panel
  • Mouse sensitivity can now be set in the configuration panel
  • It is now possible to separately invert Y axis for FPS/3rd person camera for gamepad and keyboard control scheme 
  • Terrain in the level has no longer limited height and depth
  • In addition to animal hide the map can now be crafted from paper as well again 
  • Propeller pack now flies faster
  • Iron tools are now more durable
  • Repair kits now repair 4x more damage than before
  • Number of seagulls flying among ylands has been reduced
  • Warmth factor on all clothes lowered - players should not die of overheating so easily
  • The bottom of the sea has been improved so that it feels less empty
  • If players end up in a situation from which they can't get out, they can use the command "/killself" to respawn (if possible in the given scenario)
  • [Editor] You can edit items in containers (by clicking on them with middle mouse button - this is just a work in progress solution and will change eventually)
  • [Editor] Added ID of edited entity/game logic to editing window
  • [Editor] It is now possible to set the volume specifically for editor sounds
  • [Editor] Added group editing
  • [Feedback tracker] Description text field now isn't scrollable and shows character count
  • [Feedback tracker] Feedback tracker now sends compressed (anonymous) game logs when the appropriate checkbox is ticked 

THE_LINE.png

NEW ASSETS

• Ship hull
  • Ship helm
  • Mast with sail
  • Large mast with sail
  • Plane wreck (7)
  • Shipwreck (7)
  • "Bumblebee" cannon
  • "Big Betty" cannon
  • Glass window (3)
  • Ship hull aft
  • Ship hull fore
  • Rope ladder
  • Coral (12)
  • Large ship hull
  • Wind indicator
  • Pirate shirt
  • Pirate pants
  • Pirate boots
  • Pirate captain jacket
  • Pirate captain hat
  • Soldier pants
  • Soldier jacket
  • Soldier hat
  • Tricorn soldier hat
  • Sailor shirt
  • Wooden roof
  • Stone window
  • Brick blocks 
  • Rusty Bell (2)
  • Broken helm
  • Medieval window (2) 
  • Flags (69)

THE_LINE.png

FIXES

• Console is now closed after pressing Esc.
  • Grenades now behave more consistently (e.g. don't suddenly disappear into thin air)
  • Fixed the issue where many animals were generated at the exactly same spot at the start of the game 
  • Players are no longer able to kill themselves while shooting up in the sky
  • Players won't kill a horse when shooting near its head while mounted anymore
  • Fixed stone crossbow bolt having a wrong model assigned
  • Player was able to spam particle effect when drinking potions
  • Improved various horse animations
  • Fixed players not being able to enter machines (catapults) anymore after they left them
  • Fixed bonfire being filtered as workstation
  • Fixed the issue where players were not able to enter crafting panel
  • Minor GUI tweaks
  • Several Multiplayer related issues have been fixed
  • Improved some of the Czech texts
  • Fixed ammo needed from "Ball" to "Musket ball"
  • Fixed interaction progress bar being shown even when it wasn't supposed to
  • Fixed the issue where players weren't able to scroll to see all existing games or scenarios
  • Improved readability of some GUI elements
  • Building block sizes in the inventory / catalog are once again shown with the size indicator
  • Updated some old GUI color schemes to the new one
  • Fixed the issue where cancelling out of the character creation in the Explore mode made players unable to use the basic island generation dialogue 
  • It is no longer possible to search in the inventory while dragging an item
  • Escaping from a window with opened dropdown list will now close it properly
  • Fixed the issue where it was impossible to scroll game / scenario lists via mouse wheel
  • Fixed the issue where switching to the basic view during the preview refresh in the world creation panel disabled most of the advanced options
  • Fixed some of the GUI sounds not being played properly
  • Focusing items with ylandium lamp in hand should no longer be problematic
  • Fixed break and dismantle buttons not working properly at times or having misleading hints
  • Fixed unwanted particles when switching an energy switch
  • Fixed wrong loot from Brazier showing up
  • Fixed books not showing in hand
  • Fixed bug where players couldn't feed fire with flammable materials
  • Swimming animations have been improved
  • Fixed issue with steel arch blocks where you could not build around them and they could not be deleted
  • Fixed issues related to ship and raft placing
  • Projectiles should not get stuck in trigger colliders such as plants
  • Fixed explosive and crushing projectiles erroneously dealing damage twice
  • Fixed chain explosions not always working properly
  • Fixed the issue where the game would get stuck at loading when launching Ylands from a shortcut pinned at the taskbar from a previous version
  • Fixed the issue where after playing for a while dropped items fell through buildings
  • [Audio] Fixed the issue where current volume settings were ignored after leaving the credits panel
  • [Launcher] PLAY button now gets disabled upon clicking, thus preventing players from running multiple instances of the game at once
  • [Launcher] General code tweaks that should improve performance a little bit
  • [Editor] Drag and drop of duplicated objects sometimes did not work
  • [Editor] Teleporting (via move entity action) a player on a chair, bed, in a trap, on a horse, in a boat, controlling catapult should work now
  • [Editor] Combination of surface snapping and translation grid did not work correctly
  • [Editor] Drag and dropping by one axis in local coordinate system now works
  • [Editor] Picking a building block in the currently selected hotbar slot did not start placing mode 
  • [Editor] Placing and deleting items in the inventory for players' roles can no longer break the dialogue window
  • [Editor] Escaping out of a logic properties window with an open list will no longer make it visible in another window 
  • [Editor] Fixed Redo / Undo buttons not being highlighted at times where they should be 
  • [Feedback tracker] Advanced feedback panel can now be closed with ESC
  • [Installer] Installer will now create Start Menu links properly
  • [Installer] Fixed wrong "Start In" shortcut property
  • [Random encounters] When you destroy the teleport switch on a random encounter teleport, it stops working now

THE_LINE.png

COMING SOON

Coming Soon to your ylands… Playful Presents!

Who doesn't like opening presents? We'll make sure you have plenty of those to have fun with in a Christmas-y set. Also, in this update we'll focus on fixing and tweaking the most pressing issues and features. 

• Upvote 1

It looks like a super update. :) But I can barely try it... Really huge performance drop (I had to set almost all graphic to lowest settings) and it crashes every time I select ship hull in the inventory. :( 

output_log.txt

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Hm, that's weird - we haven't noticed any performance drop during QA... Is the performance worse all the time or at specific moment/yland/place?

• Like 1

Thanks. At this moment we are already aware of procedure that actually results in a huge performance drop. If you place ship in hotbar and start switching among ship parts with "select next/previous variant" keys, the game comes to a crawl. Are you possibly doing something like this?

• Like 1

Nope, I was just dragging it into hotbar. Restarting the game didnt help, but it is absolutely okay after restarting the computer. So false alarm, Im sorry. :) I guess it was just in a bad mood. :D BTW: I really do like the new opening music! ^_^

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

first bug.. my map was reseted.. means im lost from my home :(

- sailing on raft is without animation of using paddle

- sailing on raft is occasionally jammed (this is propably sea wave physic mechanism, which stop you, cause the wave is bigger than raft)

- did i see a pink shark? :D

- can´t eat nothing... show massage "I´am not ready yet." (restart works, but its a little annoying)

Edited by Barsian
  • Like 1

map: yes, unfortunately it's this thing mentioned in the changelog - 

• Due to some optimizations incompatible with the old code the content of maps that players have might have been cleared

We are sorry about that - we try to keep these "destructive" changes to absolute minimum, but on rare occasions when we see that breaking backward compatibility of a features would allow us to optimize or improve something important in the game, we decide to go for it (as long is it is "just" a map content and not the whole ylands being wiped out etc.). I would like to believe that this was one of the last (if not the very last) cases where we had to do this.

We will take a look at the other issues you reported right away - thanks a lot for reporting those!

PS: pink shark sounds like a texture problem :) If you see more pink things, please let us know.

- can´t eat nothing... show massage "I´am not ready yet." (restart works, but its a little annoying)

We have implemented cooldowns for certain actions, like eating. So you should be definitely able to eat, but only after the animation for the first action finishes (about 2 seconds), so that might be the issue.

Does this happen even every time you try to eat anything?

Nice update, the ships are awesome :D

I hope in the future you guys can add fitting side panels/fences for the ship hulls similar to how the hull fore/aft are done because i tried wooden railing and some other stuff but it looks out of place :P

TJ0fBBbh.jpg

• Upvote 2

I agree with that. i built a cabin on to my ship but I took it off because it looked kinda weird with the color discrepancy between the actual ship color and the entire cabin.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Khanecz said:

We have implemented cooldowns for certain actions, like eating. So you should be definitely able to eat, but only after the animation for the first action finishes (about 2 seconds), so that might be the issue.

Does this happen even every time you try to eat anything?

i was hungry when i tried it first to eat something and was showing this message till i restarted game (try to eat roaster meat, fruits, fish), then was everything ok, even be able to eat food without cooldown

Update: 08/12/2016

Version: 0.19.27109

• Fixed the issue where no animation was played while moving around on a raft 
  • Fixed big performance drop when cycling through object variants when placing ship / ships parts
  • Fixed the issues where focusing an object on the ship was problematic after trying to control a ship without sails
  • Upvote 1