Weezle

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-8416] Charging station shuts down if second item is linked

Question

I put a wind turbine on a large ship and was powering a charging station.  All was working as it should.  I installed a splitter and then an energy stove.  If I link the stove, the charging station shuts off.  The output of the turbine is 20.  The consumption of the charging station is 10, the stove is 1 and the splitter is 1for a total of 12 units of power.  It doesn't matter what order I link the stove or charging station.  The stove always works.  The charging station only works if the stove isn't linked but still works if it is connected via the splitter.  Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Thoroughly enjoying the game!  Thanks

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

Technically, this is not a bug. It is due to the behavoir of every splitter (energy splitter or  the internal splitter in engines, which activates when multiple outlets are connected). An energysplitter does what it says. Its splits the available units exactly in half, regardless of actual need.

steamengine2.thumb.png.42d696ee535c4d41d1494b4acb50fe94.png

In your case: the windmill produces 20 units. The splitter consumes one of it, leaving 19. those are divided in 9.5 for your stove and 9.5 for the charging station. 

Sadly, until they implement more intelligent grids or configurable ratios on splitters, using splitters in nonbalanced grids is highly inefficient.

Edit:  In other words, to produce 10 units of energy for a charging station behind regular energy splitters, you need to produce at least 21 units after one, 43 units after two and 87 units after three splitter. 

Edited by oddbuilds
  • Thanks 1

The only solution I can see is using several splitters to get the power down, then use OR gates to add the remaining energy from each splitter back together, but each splitter will still take a point of power away. 

This system needs a total revamp. Lamps only have an input node, no output to send remaining energy through the remaining grid, and that's not how electricity even operates IRL.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of the additional 2 units for the second splitter and the or-gate, your solution would provide 12.75 units and therefore enough for the charging station in question.

windturbine.png.4fbdb1bcb4b293052d197dbfdeee7490.png

Edited by oddbuilds
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1