Question

Okay, I'm grateful that the whole "Host Unreachable" thing has been removed because it's annoying to see that error and not know what causes it.

But I'm still having trouble connecting to my friend in multiplayer. Once I got connected it gave out the Network Layer Error (2) message and when I try to reconnect it's like a dice roll whether or not I can join his game.

I know it's not my internet because when I do manage to connect, we can play Ylands with little to no latency, it when you disconnect or reconnect that the problem starts. Also, total newb here, how do I post my game's log? I know that has useful info on it.

I really wanna play with my friends :(

20180216191450_1.jpg

18 replies to this bug / suggestion

@Avinscratch Hey, I did quick take a look at your logs, I see Timeout and error=SequenceOutOfBounds. I'm not sure what caused error=SOOB, but make sure your connection is fine. Check your internet ping, is it stable? and doesn't have Request Time Out. If it does have RTO then thats probably the cause of your problem.

Ylands is pretty sensitive with RTO, once you get more than 2 RTO, the server will kick you out/you will unable to connect if it happen when you're downloading server data.. xD Thats based on my experience.

@Velocifer My connection is pretty stable though.. It's also weird because one we connect to each other and actually start playing, it's very stable. Sometimes it does kick me off right after I get into the game. But yea it's a really weird dice roll every time.

Ylands seems to be the only one having connection issues because other games I play are fine :/

Just now, Avinscratch said:

@Velocifer My connection is pretty stable though.. It's also weird because one we connect to each other and actually start playing, it's very stable. Sometimes it does kick me off right after I get into the game. But yea it's a really weird dice roll every time.

Ylands seems to be the only one having connection issues because other games I play are fine

Yess. Current Ylands is weird.. xD Network Layer Error [2] also happened to me many times.. but I don't have RTO in my "ping" history when I got that error. And after many times I got that, finally somehow it let me connect to  the official server. Maybe it happened when our connection getting weak a.k.a high latency? I don't really know xD

8 hours ago, Cameron Bowering said:

Same issue bump for fix. 

can you attach both logs here? How to get that file is explained in this thread;

Based on what I got when looking on the logs from people whose got Network Layer Error[2], all of them get "error=SequenceOutOfBounds", only devs know what need to be done for that, since they made that exception code. xD 

My guess, that is related to latency. Before "Cheerful Character" update, I was able to join NA server but with lag anywhere. Now every time I'm trying to connect NA server, Network Layer Error[2] always pop up (last night I was trying to connect my friend's server). I live in Asia and PA servers is always the best place for me to play. To connect to NA Servers, I always get above 200ms ping if thats stable. Thats all is my guess. I could be wrong. :D

Hello !

I have the same issue and it's preventing me from playing with a friend . First I was able to join his server but it is impossible now because of this error ... I get it everytime. We live not far from each other so I am not sure if it is a latency problem or something else.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

I'm now having the dreaded "Network layer error" Server is less than 2hrs away from me by car...

Never had this issue until server save file reached 20+MB, seriously do think once it reaches this point, considers too large and gives up... this needs to be checked.. for any relation.

My Connection and Ping locally to the server are fine... Can download various files from various places local and overseas and great speeds..  yet server fails downloading 20MB..

Restarted server several times with the same result.. About to give up on 0.7 as the MP Failure Patch... Nothing has been done or attempted to fix..

And frustrated since nothing has been said about it..

Edited by Energritz_

I just  played an  hour of  Ylands.... 45 mins was staring at a  blue  screen with a circle trying to  connect.. ...5  mins was spent  waiting  for the screen to unfreeze...only to display  the 114  error.

The remaining  10  minutes was trying to play the game   with  my avatar  moving  5  steps ...everything  freezing for 1  minute  ., then another  5  steps ..until the  114  message.:(

A quick  check shows i am the only one on line on the server.....:S

Time to bash head against wall for  five  minutes then go to bed..

1 minute ago, kimbuck said:

I just  played an  hour of  Ylands.... 45 mins was staring at a  blue  screen with a circle trying to  connect.. ...5  mins was spent  waiting  for the screen to unfreeze...only to display  the 114  error.

The remaining  10  minutes was trying to play the game   with  my avatar  moving  5  steps ...everything  freezing for 1  minute  ., then another  5  steps ..until the  114  message.:(

A quick  check shows i am the only one on line on the server.....:S

Time to bash head against wall for  five  minutes then go to bed..

May as well stay in bed till a fix comes out, whenever that is...

yes ...   5  114  errors  in  1  hour.... not  my  idea of an enjoyable time....all within  4  minutes of  finally  getting in.. Hope  they  do something    ....:S

Well there has been some acknowledgement:

Still worried about how long it will take.. maybe they will shock me and release something in the week xD

Edited by Energritz_

Hi there,

This is an update about the issue. We have found a possible cause (it's definitely something that can result in this error, hopefully there's nothing else) and fixed it. It wasn't, however, related directly to MP (even though it could result in players getting disconnected in MP) and fixing it required changes in some data structures. As a result, before we release the hotfix, we need to do some extensive tests so that your saved games remain valid with the updated game code. Because of that we can't release the hotfix right away. We would like to release it this week, but we can't promise that.

Also, as part of that patch, we're planning to release a fix that will dramatically reduce the lag experienced whenever a new player enters a MP game (it will now take slightly longer for those connecting to large worlds before they actually enter the world, but we consider that acceptable).

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Ane said:

This is an update about the issue.

Thanks for the update Ane.  If you need any volunteers to test the saved game compatibility, let me know.  I can spin up additional servers using the saved game that I already provided to your team and have some of our regular players check things out.

• Thanks 1

Update: The hotfix will be ready to be released later today, but we decided to release it on Monday to make sure we are all ready and online in case any problems arise.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Baz Foobar said:

Thanks for the update Ane.  If you need any volunteers to test the saved game compatibility, let me know.  I can spin up additional servers using the saved game that I already provided to your team and have some of our regular players check things out.

I spend looooots of hours playing. I would be happy to test.

12 hours ago, Ane said:

Update: The hotfix will be ready to be released later today, but we decided to release it on Monday to make sure we are all ready and online in case any problems arise.

Good choice, having everyone available if something is broken is wise, although it is the weekend, but patience i guess.