kimbuck

Trust no one!

Having been the  victim of  a  griefer, i now  keep everything worthwhile  under lock and key

I had  just crafted a  small sail boat for  "close shore"  inspection...  and was inside my base crafting  some back up tools  ( they  don't  make  hammers like they used too!:D  ) ..suddenly i saw this guy at the side of my base, near where the previous  griefer had found a way to gain access. He must  have seen  me through the window  and he  took off running around  the outside of my base.   I  ran to my front door  and prepared  to confront this person, if  necessary, but to my amazement  he headed straight to my  new  sailboat and  jumped in,  and  took off with it! By the  time i  unlocked the door and got outside he was too far away.>:(

Ok  so thats the  rub of the green they say, but this  person  is now on my list of the untrustworthy. The  thing is , if he had knocked and asked for help, i  most likely would have  offered him some form  of  help and  perhaps  given him a  few things.

Now  he is on the   list of   people who,  should i see them  being mauled by a bear,   i will simply  craft a chair  and popcorn, and  sit and  watch!:D

Edited by kimbuck
  • Haha 2

Yea, that's a shame Kimbuck, that is one of the reason's that i rarely play mp anymore nowadays, because people a don't have respect for others online at all.    Maybe karma will get them and the y will get mauled by a mutant bear while in a cave and loose everything they have, that would be great to watch that.xD

Ownership and permissions `probably should be a thing.  Im not sure if its planned or not but it would be good.  I havent played multiplayer because it seems geared towards groups who already know each other to try and avoid griefers.  And reports of griefing have been pretty clear on steam.

i have since been contacted by a friend  of the person.... they  had been  stranded   by the dreaded 114   error, and were seeking to  re locate a missing  boat  and  get to their island... the  person involved    went inthe  wrong direction and  grabbed a boat  from my place...    most likely  in error... but   i was  there and they could have  asked me ..i would have  loaned it in those circumstances..

i have been rather edgey  since   some griefer    broke into  my place recently and  actually  made off  with my  boat  .. it was locked  but     i will not  say openly    how they got around that!  Boats and cars  are  are not safe even when locked!    Something the   devs  should look into...O.o

lol, it seems like another side of my story.. I was on Polar biome, exploring whats new in there.. Out of nowhere I hear polar bear growling, suddenly she is behind me.. At that moment is where panic moment coming and I'm dead.. Respawn to first island, I found boat floating freely at shore of someone base.. "I need that boat.." in my mind said.. I never saw the owner online anymore, he might be ok if I borrow his boat.. then quickly I prepare for long sailing to polar biome, grab boat and straight to polar biome to take my old stuff.. After successfully get my old stuff back, I go back to my floating base and wait if that boat's owner come back. Until my server reset, I never see him back.. So, Thanks to whoever it's. Sorry I kinda stole your boat.. xD

I am definitely against griefing and will ban people who come on the server and wreak havoc like that, but for the most part, there are ways to secure your property from others.  The problem is that even with those in place, they can still be hacked off with a hammer and a bit of time.  There needs to be a way to harden that further, perhaps with some crafting options.

Barriers are also not 100% - sometimes they bug out, or other times even when they work, if you don't place enough buffer material between your precious belongings/space and the barrier itself, thieves can exploit surfaces that are just crossing into the barrier to break through, or they can push first person against your walls and interact with objects on the other side even if they don't break through.

Ultimately, I know I can lock the server down with a password and only give it out to those I trust, but it's nice to have new people come on and join the community organically.  One way I've thought of controlling that was to only give out the password on Discord to people with authenticated e-mail/phone # Discord accounts, but I feel that would just cause otherwise good players from wasting their time and they'll just go to the next server that doesn't hassle them to get the password.

Another solution would be to implement something at the game world level.  Perhaps we can define the server as PVE only in the configuration and this allows strict ownership of items and makes everyone invincible.  I don't know, something to think about.

• Upvote 1

There should be a key of some sort that extends possession / ownership / protection to ships and the goods on them.

Or admin should be able to specify the level of aggression allowed. I know some teams play real survival and battle. Some of us like exploring and creating.

I still think that a function like protect should be available like shift right click = Protect/ Lock

i am going to  build my next  base    on top of inverted  spikes to  discourage  tunnelers  ;-)

• Haha 1

With the advent of  0.8 and  the likelihood of  a new  explore  game staring on the server i infest, I been thinking of building construction  ideas that should  thwart  most griefers and  imbeciles who like to spoil peoples games, So I  enlisted the resources of   my  house partner to come  up with  passive ideas to ensure  my  building  and  stuff doesnt get messed up. Here are some of his  ideas... 

1)  construct a base of inverted stone spikes to  thwart  tunnelers. Place your  floor on top  of themB|

2) double thickness walls ..this has  2  purposes... to stop the   1st person  peek through walls, and  when painted, the outside  wall and inner walls can  be different.

3) Put a moat around the  building, but not containing water, but  spikes... only has to be wide enough to thwart  peeping toms  from creeping up to the wall  to spy.  (sea urchins in the shallow waters  around your base  can provide a  similar partial deterrent..;)

4). A wall of  dense trees ...   with  gaps as gateways...   fair enough they can be  cut  down,  but  hopefully   a   griefer will look instead for a softer  target and go away.-  besides  the trees look   cool  and environmentally  friendly

5) Build an enclosed dock with walls  around your ship ...  fit doors to  the sides of the ship that  can be  locked outwards like  wings (ears), to  foul similar lockable  doors on the exit sides of your dock, making  movement  out  without a key impossible or very difficult.  especially if its  within  your  protection barrier  field .(.they cannot break the locks  there)

6)  bait objects :   In zoos  they  leave a banana on a desk   in the  keepers area  outside where the  chimpanzees sleep .. so if the banana is missing in the morning they know that the  chimps have  found a way to  get out at night. So make a dummy boat and place it at your  dock  with locks etc on it   and  watch as   hijackers  try to sail it away..    will be a hoot as it  will have no scripted  hull  and the  helm and   stuff will be  non functional. Alternatively  make a "devil glitched"  ship that you know  will  sink or  dump its occupants  into the ocean somewhere... let them steal that:P

7)  use  a paint gun to  paint  ships  cars    and other  steal able  items in  ghastly  colors  that  the other    community  member will recognize and will  know if  it is stolen if not being operated  by you, and alerting the   admins for action.

But  also   think of the  positive... :D by providing a  area with  a spinning wheel, weaving loom and  smelter, put  some  shelter and access to   some  basics like bananas corn or - agave plants (for yarn) perhaps the griefer  will become  sociable     appreciate the  help and move on.   ( i believe in Karma ...and  that's not an automobile's mother!) ( oooh the nasty  puns!O.o)

Also leave signposts  with some helpful instructions ..did you  know  sisal agave   can be used  for  yarn  to make -cloth etc and it  grows back the next  day and  doesn't need  replanting like cotton/flax?

And  also make a sign advising people that   server admins  can and  will  deal with  griefers  and  troublemakers,  resulting in BI account bans from that  the server ...but the only problem  with that is ...do, or  can...griefers  read?:D

Meanwhile the  evil side of  my brain is    processing other ideas...:D

Edited by kimbuck
impruved komprehenshun

I often craft objects and leave them on purpose for newbs to find.  So if there ever is a naming ownership lockout implemented on crafted items please do not make this mandatory.  There should be a happy ground for Multiplayer that does not offend anyone.  I do not mind the pvp so much or stealing.  I learn to live paranoid with my most precious possessions.  I take counter measures and yeah...

TRUST NO ONE

I try to respect peoples property on MP. I often use someone's stuff if it is available to me, but then I return it or replace it at first priority. I will always ask if you are online first. 

If you are to survive in a short lived multiplayer server, you must make friends... at least a few lol.