kimbuck

Playing the game fairly

The  Foobar  team ,   alias  BB, petemoss, honeychicken, Foobar  and emo  etc,  have adopted a principle  that when  we visit an island , we do not plunder it entirely, ...we set up a  small base station with  shelter, some resources and a  basic workstations   for  travelers  to   use . We avoid  conflict with predators, only  killing in defense....  leaving the rest    for new comers to experience:D

If you see us  ..we are not the pvp type   but will defend ...attack one and you will have to  defend yourself against the group!.B| Co operate and be  friendly  .. its to  everyone's  benefit

Should you find  one of our little outposts,  feel free to use  the facilities,   don't destroy,  -  after use, tidy up and  replenish consumables when  able to do so.

Have fun!:D

• Upvote 2

If you don't need to, don't kill all the mutants. If we leave a few there will be more for all. 

When I'm on MP I always try to be considerate, take just what I need and move on.  And I replant like crazy.  I don't harvest anything extensively until I set up a home somewhere else.  I even share my initial workstations and some resources, even though I'm never sure if I'm helping players or just giving griefers a place to camp once I've left the island.

When it comes to the caves, I use permanent markers (stone, normally) to track my way through them.  I'm sure they're helpful to others if they realize what they are.  I'll kill mutants until I have what I need, and after that it's just about survival.

On my current MP (on NA 33) I've been thinking about going back to spawn and building a shelter nearby.  But then one of the other players built a large offshore base in that area after I left, and I wouldn't want it too close.  Kind of torn on that one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was going to go back to spawn, but there is an extensive base set up there that the owner has left available to other players. So I probly won't. 

That.s a great base there on spawn, BB...  and very helpful and considerate of the player that  has made it available there.  As you are aware, I have left  some additional items there to "help" ...and   i don't mean  dumping stuff on the ground.

Later today  after some rl  work  i am going to look for another  island to  put a base/outpost on, but  first   visit one of the others where there's abundant  resources  to help gather materials to set it up.

For the record,  we are  on server  NA  36 -  until it becomes unplayable.  - its already  showing  signs of  lag  and  other  hiccups.

B|

• Upvote 1

One of the advantages of  co-operation. We have  3 of the Foobar team construct bases in close proximity. We therefore do not have to strip an  island of  resources... just use what each needs and share the rest  with the others. We also share workstations  and have access to each others   work areas...so we don't  need  multiple    locksmiths, chemistry,  energy  stations  etc

As you can see .. the bases are  both practical and  decorative .. and   will be more so  as  we now have a paint gun to share. Our protection barriers are almost adjacent  so its hard for a  griefer to  dig in or  steal..

I wonder  where will we send the  electricity  bill   ..as  shown in last  screenshot...perhaps  BI  might pay it?:D

20180510085922_1.jpg

20180510102339_1.jpg

20180510102401_1.jpg

20180510102444_1.jpg

Today the Foobar team  visited  NA 15 ,  and   played around  constructing a   help outpost  next to the  spawn area..    and we had  fun.  Theres no pics  just yet,  we are waiting  for the  flora to establish itself  so it will look  more photogenic.

But  what was   encouraging  was the arrival of  a new player  who was so impressed at  not being set  upon and slaughtered by  griefers,  he  actually  brought  things back to enhance the area ¬¬

Earlier  we  visited another server but it was a waste of time . A griefer had  enclosed the  spawn area in a thicket of  trees as a fence and set up  his PB  ..and the   enclosure  was   littered with corpses ..and a lot  of them!

But it was all in   vain..although no one could   escape the  wall of  trees  etc,  all we did  was  press enter,  then  slash  unstuck 0 ..and   Bingo! ...  transported to a nearby  beach  away form the  griefers  meddling:D

So  peeps, if you ever get stuck in a griefers   thing on spawn ..remember that..    press  enter...  type slash... unstuck  0 ...and  all his  efforts  are wasted :D

• Upvote 1

Here is  how the  NA 15  outpost turned out. B|

20180511200559_1.jpg

20180511200702_1.jpg

20180511201033_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Welldone guys! Spreading awesome habit to entire servers.. ^_^

I did similar thing when I was playing at PA 17, but sadly someone put PB on it. I honestly don't know his/her intention (claiming for her/himself or to protect it). I gave up after that.. xD

Kim did most of the build. It turned out nicely. 

@V-Alfred I made one the other day (on NA 45, I think,) since I had no plans to actually play the game, I set my barrier there to protect it from griefers or those who would claim it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kimbuck said:

Today the Foobar team  visited  NA 15 ,  and   played around  constructing a   help outpost  next to the  spawn area..    and we had  fun.  Theres no pics  just yet,  we are waiting  for the  flora to establish itself  so it will look  more photogenic.

But  what was   encouraging  was the arrival of  a new player  who was so impressed at  not being set  upon and slaughtered by  griefers,  he  actually  brought  things back to enhance the area ¬¬

Earlier  we  visited another server but it was a waste of time . A griefer had  enclosed the  spawn area in a thicket of  trees as a fence and set up  his PB  ..and the   enclosure  was   littered with corpses ..and a lot  of them!

But it was all in   vain..although no one could   escape the  wall of  trees  etc,  all we did  was  press enter,  then  slash  unstuck 0 ..and   Bingo! ...  transported to a nearby  beach  away form the  griefers  meddling:D

So  peeps, if you ever get stuck in a griefers   thing on spawn ..remember that..    press  enter...  type slash... unstuck  0 ...and  all his  efforts  are wasted :D

We were going to liberate that base, the dummy built parts of the cage outside the barrier. But the server crashed and we couldn't get back in. Maybe tonight...

I like the idea of building a welcome area at spawn and putting down your PB to protect it.  One downside to that, though, is other players would have a hard time replanting resources, and if we make it difficult they're less likely to do it.  With sisal agave that's not a problem, but pretty much anything else would be.

NA 15  now has an office.... sponsored by the foobar team. its open annually  31 June   from   noon  until  midday...    :D

20180512121534_1.jpg

• Like 1

This guy has been standing around for days.  I decided to make him part of the décor...

Ylands_180512_174614.png

• Like 1

We had  our  first  misfit  visit  NA15 today... arrived with a  "hello world" and immediately   ran and  jumped into someones  raft and paddled offshore... then  saw me and   stated he only had just  acquired the  game and  did i have any tips. For a first timer  he  knew how to use a raft...    then he spotted a ship under construction and paddled to it and tried top steal it...  well you could raise the anchor and  grab the helm,  but you  won't  go far with  no sails etc...as he found out. He had obviously played the game  before...

so he  climbed aboard his  stolen raft and paddled off ...  into a typical  ylands storm...:D

Three minutes later, after  he had paddled out of  view,  he  went offline. Typical of the  griefers  who  arrive,  steal  boats and   abandon them  offshore  out of the owners  view.

Anyway ,  no big  deal for  our  team.

Yosef,  you  are the loser. Did a shark get you?  or have you moved onto another server now  to  repeat your  act of "cleverness?"

If  others would like to visit  NA15,  check out the Foobar  team courtesy base, ... yes - there are things you can steal,  etc. but  if  you come to play the game  and  not  act like an infantile  imbecile, you can see how a co-operative  community  works. ..and  what they can do in a short time  working togetherB|

We  hope others   join in mimicking  this co-operative  activity  on other servers..B|

When we finish the  boat  under construction we  will look to rescue  Yosef    drifting on his  stolen  raft... We will  carry  spare aloe Vera  bandages  ... for the sharks!:D

Edited by kimbuck

:D ..true ,  but  most pirates have a wooden leg,... not a solid wooden head:P ..and a real captain would  have realized  that a  sailing ship needs  sails.

Perhaps he was auditioning  for the role of  parrot? :D

So that's why my raft is gone. No big loss, but I was storing food there til I got the bigger ship going.

Only three sails because I had to grind out the cotton. I'm glad someone finally brought back sisel. Now I can make my clothing store :)

The raft has been   found!   Yay!   

Yosef the  wanna be  pirate   came ashore,  parked the  raft, and  decided to camp inland from the shoreline so it would be harder to find him.

Sadly for him,  his campfire must have gone out in the rain overnight , and while he  slept  blissfully,  one of  our  resident panthers  added  his  protein to   their diet.  :|

Justice or   Karma... you  decide.   BB's  stuff in her  baskets has been recovered and  returned to her.:D

In the last two days, our  little base has been joined by two guys who literally just got the game. So they are hanging out with us as they learn the game.

Kim and I were talking tonight about this, but it seems like griefers are mostly put off by our little settlement. Mostly, I'm sure, because we have barriers up on anything useful. The ships are not as protected as we might like, but the are as secure as we can make them. 

I had one guy roll up on me in his white undies and stone axe. I armed up with my saber and he decided to go somewhere else. I don't know if he was going to kill me. But it wouldn't have gotten him much. 

But mostly it seems like the troublemakers just decide to move on.

• Like 1

The welcome base take the "fun" out of being a griefer:D...everything you need  is there in plentiful  quantity to help you start out.  There are no weapons,  just tools and resources. We do have defensive  weapons, ie  sabre, revolver, war axe and  crossbows...but  we never use them  except to remove land /air  sharksB|.

The only  potential troublemaker  failed in an attempt to be  a  panthers  pet:D.

We have had  two visitors  arrive, first time  mp players,  and they  became  readily  enthused  with what they saw and the help they got. They were surprised that there was no  one to  attack or harass them, just help.

For a demonstration of  community co operation  we all crafted different  items  and  constructed  " A Trout and  Co"   fisherman's  hut.  We are now thinking of  doing a  efficiency redesign of   the crafting stations , and adding a   first aid  booth,  with  aloe Vera  poultices and bandages,  acai  berries for health and   arctic  willow  and  bearberries   for  other  medicines and  health  uses..

Check out  A  trout's  hut .. hes obviously  a better fisherman than  someone i know in RL    :D

20180515173407_1.jpg

• Like 2

Straw blocks are a real pain to make. And without a healthy sisel agave crop, it would take forever. I harvested everything we had (even "borrowing" from the neighbors.) I had around 650 agave leaves. I broke them down then dried them in the kiln (thanks Keralis for the tip!) and ended up getting 145 or so blocks. It became clear we were going to need to fill in with wood.

Tried (several times) to join NA 15 to see all the good work you all are doing, but my connection dropped. "Network Layer 2" or similar error. Admittedly not on the best connection right now. Hoping to have better luck later.

@stlnegril9....  The NA15 server has been pretty stable  so  far,  but we do get the occasional time out or reset. Looks like you  tried to join  at  one of those "off" times.

Do drop in and look around... there's   2  new players already  who have  joined in...one is  building and the other  a total newcomer is watching and learning.  If you do arrive, there's  tools, some  clothing, and workstations you can   use to start out,  and later we might  put in a  "store" of  limited ores etc to help  new arrivals  start crafting their own stuff.

We do have about 5 "offline"  bodies standing around ...hopefully they will awaken and join in ...if  not we  will plant flowers around them :D