kimbuck

Playing the game fairly

I got tired of looking at them, so I built a wall.  Not locking them in, but just blocking the view of the body accumulation.

Ylands_180515_180649.png

When I checked our discord tonight, there had been some action during the day.  A couple of griefers.  One seems to be settling down and actually building, but we are warily watching.  I made a few trips out to his base to share some supplies.  He speaks only Spanish, I speak only English.  Google is helping.  I don't know if he is to be trusted but I'm trying to help him.

We had another guy who kept stealing stuff.  I told him when he tried to steal a raft that we would not allow him to play like that.  He swung his weapon at Kimbuck and she took him out.  Seriously, I wouldn't mess with her.

We have gained two good players, and a new one spawned in just as I was leaving.  I told her she was welcome to share our space if she wanted to play nice.  She said she would.  I left Kim to babysit :)

I am going to build a small bunk house on my protected space so newbies can have a private protected space for when they are off line and to store their things.  We will give a key to players we trust.  If need be I will be able to get in, but other than that, it will be their private space until they decide where to build their own barrier.  Stay tuned!

I was helping  this  guy  cut  trees when he  turned and  belted me with his  axe...  i  initially  assumed it was accidental and    moved   quickly  away , but he ran after me  and  hit me gain.  Reluctantly  i  pulled out a  sabre and terminated him...  it surprised him as he was supposedly attacking  someone unarmed

He  respawned within  seconds and returned for his loot ..but  became  subdued   as i stood  nearby  with a drawn  revolver aimed at him and  telling him to  behave.. and this  was not a pvp  area...  

he complied :D

The other guy we had had cleaned  out all our  supplies...we had stacks of  spades   shovels etc  and  building materials  for newcomers  to use...  he took the lot...and  stole  a boat... using an exploit to defeat the locks  ( Ane  knows of this  exploit and has advised me  they are working on it). This  guy made off with the  boat  loaded with  all his  stolen items  but  got  greedy, stopping to investigate a  group of  corpses  with  scattered loot..  when he saw me  he ran  back to the stolen boat, but i had already alerted it s owner who  visited  him via  a   prop pack and " terminated" him.

He then re-spawned under a different name  but i had  recorded  the   first 5  digits of  his  BI account No.  so  although he acted  dumb and played  possum , pretending he was off line .. we knew  who he was!B|

The  Third  guy was just a nuisance...  as we had depleted  stocks  he couldn't  steal   anything   other than  lanterns and  emptied all the food we had   (  80  units of  fish! )  he also  raided  the  fisherman's hut and took anything  not   nailed down..  and  i discovered  all our  hammers were  gone .. and then noticed   padlocks on all our  workstations!    But that was no big  deal  ..a  quickly  crafted  stone  hammer solved the   issue as all the stations were   inside my  PB and easily deconstructed and  re built  ..

But  all is not  bad..

We have had  3  new players arrive, all looking  for  a  not  combative pve  group,  and the  community is  starting to grow.  We assist  them to build,  offer  tips and show them shortcuts. As they settle they respond by  returning  with  supplies  and  such to  restock the base.

With the 0.9  enhancements  on the horizon...   the  game is proving    enjoyable

Shame  about the imbeciles  though....   as they say " lock up your  daughters" ..:D

BB's  idea of a  bunk house where  new players  can hide in safety when offline  until they build a base is a grand idea.

NA 15  welcomes    friendly  people  ... and  we would  not  complain if  you arrived to help and participate:P

• Like 1

Wow, that was a wild ride. I had no idea it was so action packed.

I will hopefully come over to wherever you are running when 0.9 is out to  learn as I could use some advice with construction and exploring once I have achieved iron goods.

Do you prefer folks to use a microphone or is chat usually enough? I do have a mic but it is rarely connected because the PC is in a shared room.

18 minutes ago, DanielCoffey said:

I will hopefully come over to wherever you are running when 0.9 is out to  learn as I could use some advice with construction and exploring once I have achieved iron goods.

Do you prefer folks to use a microphone or is chat usually enough? I do have a mic but it is rarely connected because the PC is in a shared room.

We use text on the discord. Not everyone has or uses mics. With 0.9 we will probably run two concurrent games. One like this one, and one. by invite with password. We will start fresh on both.

I do not use mic  for  two reasons:

1)  I live "out in the sticks" connected to the internet by  knotted wet string and speed /capacity determined by the the  amount of caffeine we can pump into carrier pigeons. Aussie  internet speeds   and capacity leave a lot to be desired...its   either video  or  sound, both at the same time is  unreliable.

2) My  house  sounds like a  zoo when feeding time is  delayed. Added to the fact  the TV runs  24/7  and we have neighbors with rather loud   dogs and   voices , especially  after  drinking..( the Neighbors, not the   dogs..)

Text is  sufficient.:P

So far  our  group is  in two genres.. there's  those that  build and create and those that run around  in caves  tempting  death!:D

Be prepared to  trip over  tombstones....  or  mount  rescue  missions when sailors  lose their  ships  or themselves:D

But is  all fun!O.o

Rescue missions are quite fun.

I just got a mic this last weekend.  I don't use it in our discord just because not everyone has one.  I really only use it on @RedEagle_MGN's discord.  But even then it just depends.  My roommate's bedroom is adjacent to my office, so if she is sleeping I don't use it.  

Edited by bojo2736

What we learned form  creating  help bases near spawn areas:

Firstly  unless you know someone for a long time in this game, trust no stranger. We had one who slaughtered me whilst i was unarmed and  restocking the base. Earlier we helped him get started and he was so friendly.... he discovered later i am a good shot  with 

a revolver, hitting him in mid air as he tried to leap into a getaway raft...( it had  walls to supposedly protect him).  The  fool came back with a different name but gave  himself away when he ran straight to where his body fell and  dived under the water to recover  the stuff he  had stolen :D  ----he was an easy target under water...like  shooting   fish in a pondB|

Now  what we learned:  record the first 5 letters/numbers  of a new arrivals  BI account  (  hit enter, type  /who) ..that way you can recognize the good, the bad and the ugly. Often griefers  respawn and use a different  name like this guy tried 3  times but his BI account no. was the same   (started with d6c2e).^_^

The workstations needed to help new arrivals  start are  spinning, weaving, tanning, smelting,  a forge and a stove. Keep the higher tech stations  under lock and  key in a secure area. We had one griefer  use our locksmith station  to craft  keys and padlocks and then lock all the workstations and storage containers. As they were inside a protection barrier, we could  deconstruct and rebuild them, but it sure wasted  time. If a container  can  be locked,  make  keys for it to stop griefers locking it on you. Same with  doors! ..and  ship helms!

Put out  only a token  number of  tools for new comers to use. We put out   flint lighters, rope, and some  axes  hammers  chisels saws shovels and  spades.  The bulk stocks are kept in locked in chests, because  some griefers take  everything/anything they can, whether they need  them or not, emptying  every unlocked  container  ..and  then dump the  surplus   offshore  or in a  mine pit and  bury them.

We are now progressively placing lanterns behind  glass barriers to stop thieving.

All items  that can be used as weapons are collected  and  locked away...stone maces etc dropped  are destroyed.

Make a secure place where you can lock yourself  away. Make sure this area has two lockable  doorways,  the  main  obvious one, and another  at the rear partly screened by  trees etc. This is because if you are attacked and killed, you have a better chance of  sneaking in the back  door and re-arming while the greifer sorts through your loot.

Have inside your safe area  a  back up supply of weaponry so you can do battle if needed to recover  items.  The  a'hole that slaughtered me was surprised while he was stealing my armor off  my corpse when i popped out from a side entry and   plastered him with my  back-up revolver. Fortunately he  had not  located the bullets for my  main gun  he had  stolen from my loot.

If you have to leave  things  in unlocked areas/containers , make sure its items that you can afford to lose.  Believe me, one even stole the  flags off the rear of my ship!

But  the   up side of all this  is we do get  good people who appreciate the help, and stay and  contribute. BB is now  testing the  construction of "bunk house" style  lockable rooms  for new arrivals to use until they can   make their base/home  secure. Hopefully  this will stop the pvp minded  idiots who arrive and  slaughter  innocent people who haven't had  time to get their base secure.

And a warning..  enforce the  no standing around offline for ages  rule.  Build  your welcome area  with no flooring. that way when you get a group of  "passive griefers" arrive  en masse and  fill the area with  lifeless  bodies  staring  into the distance,  after a  week of  inactivity assume they only  there for the beer...(which  you have already drunk) .. so you  can then undermine them  with a  spade..and  bury them. :P  

• Upvote 1

Great to see some  visitors    who  frequent   the forums here:D

welcome to the  foobar team creative  base

O.o

• Thanks 1

Hey Kim, cheers for helping me get started on your server. You all have done a great job. A player logged in just as I as logging out and they were dropping items all over the spawn area.... just in case you may think it was me. I'll be sure to repay you the leather you borrowed me :)

Yeah, I saw they killed my guy that I had decorated.  Scattered stuff all over. Jerks. I did get a screen shot of the number, but they didn't have a name.

Ylands_180517_184908.png

Edited by bojo2736

a carm   742a5  arrived as i had to leave..

that 238df hadnt arrived   fully ,,

laggin in to clean up the mess left by these infantile  idiots  ..worse than cleaning a up a teenagers bedroom..

Good to see you,   Mitch  :D

I love this concept!  My husband and I do something similar on an ARK server, calling them "waystations".  Ours are fully enclosed, but that's because -that- game tends to over-spawn critters that find players to be quite tasty.  Glad to see someone else had a similar idea here, and when I finally decide to dip my toes into the online Ylands, I'll definitely stop by!

• Upvote 1

Well   the griefeing was more of an  inconvenience  than a disaster....i was reorganizing .. and i think they mad it easier!:D

They killed several  offline unarmed   people  standing around....    big  brave griefer  hahaha  epitome of   heroism.

They stole  all  the  welcome  food from the food  chest  ( 80 fish, 20 meat  40 roasted   veg/fruit.)... and replaced it  with rubbish like   grass   stones  bark  etc

They emptied the  bulk stone and marble   chests and scattered the contents  through all the other unlocked  chests

And the   dumped rubbish  around  ... ie    flowers    bark  resin  ...and  things they took of the corpses they killed.

They emptied  several tool chests and   replaced them  with stone  weapons...what they couldn't carry   they   scattered

All the flint lighters,  and starter stuff  was  taken ..probably  dumped  somewhere obscure

But he  good  side of  it was we had  6  on line  at the same time ... including  handsofthesly who is setting up a  bakery, 

If you are a forum visitor ,  identify yourself   and be  welcomed  B|

Theres  2  green boxes with   some clothing   to  hide your  whitey  tightsO.o

• Thanks 1

I will be opening up a clothing store.  I will make custom color items. I am just putting out a few at a time.  There is a sign asking for purchase of the items by depositing 10 resin, bark or wood pieces per item.  If it works we will get newbs helping to clean up the base.  At worse case, I will lose a few clothing items.  But being custom color, they will be identifiable :)

also,  for  new arrivals ... there are starter packs in baskets outside the office. Each  basket  has the same  contents .. flint lighter, hammer  chisel, spade Lantern,  knife, axe and  saw. Interesting to see how  griefers will react to  that O.o

and BB's  store  looks  great!:D

still on  NA 15  its   very stable  ..

Occasionally  we get the phantom   trees, but   twice a day there seems to be a reset ... morning and  evening my times and things  flow  easily afterwards. I  noticing the  tree issue  seems to occur  when the weather  changes  to  rain...  ?

So far  so  good ...we have  had  6 active  players on at one time and  no lag apparent  my end.

Lets  hope we  last until 0.9....:P

ooh  what fun !!!     got a  new player from Brasil...  was  reluctant  to   be friendly ..obviously a victim of  pvp   mp games. This was  not helped   by another  who  tried to grief and  tried to  hit her with a  shovel..

when they  say 'sup? or  call you  bro   or   use  excessive  emotes then you know their age  means that puberty has  yet to come  knocking on their door. Despite being warned twice  for trying to  hit another player . he tried to kill an offline  player and  ended up receiving  2  bullets  in the a$$  ...we both  shot him at the same time. B| The  idiot came back and tried to use a shovel to dig into buildings.. and a hammer to break chests and windows ..  inside a PB protected area. :D He then  begged for me to let him have a shot  with my gun hahahah ---  i am not as stupid as him!

After  he  got bored at not being able to  grief .. he  went offline,   so we didn't  kill him ...just  dug under him so he  sank  into the depths, ..put a stone  panel over the top and   buried him, ( after a  few solemn words    like "  bye bye  sucker!":D )

This was obviously a kid  using dad's computer while dad was away:P

Made an  eventful  change  for the   quiet time ..:D

his BI  no.  started Fdb19a  ..and  was  obviously   just there to grief....  so if  he  hits  your server ... you know what to expect. ( he asked us if we played  fortnite... that  says a lot! )

Edited by kimbuck

I wonder if these players are coming from Minecraft where there is a high degree of griefing (and even whole youtube channels dedicated to it)?

After reading the whole progress, you guys made me interested to play MP again.. Maybe I'll hop in this weekend. Prepare for stranded spineless nakedman... :D

V alfred..when  you arrive,  you will be in front of BB cakes shop/house... if you have to go offline  before you get a secure building  she can arrange a "bunk house" style safe place to stay. To get  some equipment etc to start out, head towards the buildings at the right .. you cannot miss them.. theres workstations  in full view and an office, in front of which are 3  baskets...each has  basic starter equipment, ie  flint lighter, lantern  spade axe  etc. There is a covered area   with other tools an stuff  in baskets (  the bulk stores in chest are locked).  the  2  green boxes near the   ocean  ...onehas clothes  the other hats. You can also get repair  kits  pencils   paper for maps and a sewing  kit.  The workstations are  free to use and there is a blue  chest and a  basket near 2 stoves   which  has   food    to get you  going.

Ignore the  guy on the wicker bed ..hes been there 2 days already  and  distracts the   bed  bugs  fro  attacking others!  he will probably   go  at the 0.9 update/move ..:P

Theres  sisal  agave, bananas  nearby  and 3 spinning wheels and weaving / tannery  area on the roof of the office. Find  good  fishing  in the bay area near the  teepee  in the air.

All we ask is to take just what you need   ( some will take  everything!) ... and when you get the chance    bring back some surplus to help  us re-stock.

BB is  setting  up a honesty shop with custom dyed clothing... available for the deposit of  wood, bark  and resin etc.... a way to get others to  tidy  the island up!B|

I could be in the office ..if not   i would be patrolling around gathering stuff and  re-stocking baskets or  crafting tools.  Or hunting  wabbits ( griefers):ph34r:

The  energy, chemistry and locksmith  stations are  n a secure area, and accessible   to those we know   will not make  weapons  etc to grief  ..

A first aid chest is there with  bandages  poultices  and other healing  stuff in case one of our  roaming panthers   takes a liking to you. They are  our  griefer back up control patrol :D ..and are very effective   it seems  by the  tombstones in that area.. ( theres at least 4 and they attack ina pack!)

We all wear  outfits/armour  custom dyed, so be wary of anyone  in undies carrying an axe or   mace! ( we don't make weapons available)

I am usually there  "downunder" times and that strange letter on a post is actually an "F" that was stolen from the office sign by an ( ex) griefer...and put there  upside down for the  aussies to read!:P

Hope to see you  and  come and join in the fun^_^

Others welcome too  come along as well if  you want a friendly   non pvp environment. ( we had 6  on line at the same time  today! It was like  central station... queuing up at the smelters/forge)