Sign in to follow this  
Antimidation

Glaring issue with block placement

Question

Did i miss something? I looked all over the UI for it but it's not there anymore, you can no longer move objects on a straight line away or towards you...only up and down, how was this overlooked? 

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

There are a few issues.  One is as described by Antimidation.  There does not appear to be a control to precisely move blocks into position.  G no longer works.

I have also noticed that blocks will not snap onto any faces that are away from the player.  This causes problems with building UP (such as tall posts) or AWAY (such as floors, balconies, or docks).

If it can not be made to automatically snap on faces away from the player (which would be understandable) then we need to have precise movement controls.  Perhaps they can be bound to Player movement + SHIFT keys?  (example: Shift + W moves block forward away from player)

Or combined with CTRL, if Shift is a problem.

Edited by Indomitus

i have  wasted 15  minutes  trying to align  a block with  others...   it refuses to "snap" into place...  others  are having the  same issues...   you have to do a fiddly   dance    back and forth etc  to  try and get  it to align..and without   1st person... its   almost  impossible

How  can we build   with   this   ?

Do we have to  again give  up on   ylands  until   release 0.12 arrives in the future (?) with some  fixes and  more  bugs?

Ok  i have had  enough.  I have tried  everything...changing  blocks      etc    and  moving  around  up down and  whatever....    and   the blocks  will still not  line up ...  even  relogged     ( twice so far .. the    first was to fix the  "invisible  ship  bug  where you see  people  floating on the water  with an anchor.

I cannot  build ...  blueprints   are   not working  as we have been advised ...  sooo?

Guess its   time to play another  game  that works, or  watch   cats and    car crashes on youtube...until  we hear of a  hotfix..

or  else ..if thats too far away,   its  time for a  divorce  and  consider the   cost of this  game a  write off  to experience  ...

Ylands   was a good and  relaxing  game  but   now its  pure  frustration....:(

but we do have  duck boats and   extra  pets...

well   it seems that the  blocks   construction/placement   field   is  larger now and it  was interfering with the   area of  my  ship parked  4  block widths  away  and  attaching  themselves to  my ships   hull indirectly!

I moved  my ship further away and  some of the  blocks  went with it!

I then found that the pier i was constructing ...  the  blocks  would  now  align!

So peeps, it seems with the new placement   thing,  the blocks  being placed  have a wider  area of influence around them...  so  do not  try to place  walls  etc  around    objects   already in place  .. it  wont  work!    You need to make your  walls   etc  first  ..then place  the  contents inside.

Looks like the   building  interface  needs   tweaking.:|

5 hours ago, kimbuck said:

well   it seems that the  blocks   construction/placement   field   is  larger now and it  was interfering with the   area of  my  ship parked  4  block widths  away  and  attaching  themselves to  my ships   hull indirectly!

I moved  my ship further away and  some of the  blocks  went with it!

I then found that the pier i was constructing ...  the  blocks  would  now  align!

So peeps, it seems with the new placement   thing,  the blocks  being placed  have a wider  area of influence around them...  so  do not  try to place  walls  etc  around    objects   already in place  .. it  wont  work!    You need to make your  walls   etc  first  ..then place  the  contents inside.

Looks like the   building  interface  needs   tweaking.:|

Hey,

could you send me the savegame and an image of where you wanted to build? I suspect that there has been some overlap of the Ship and Global building grid. With the new system as long as the block outline you're trying to place is inside the Ship's space it will inherit it's grid. So there may be some issues while building close to a ship without the intention to build on the ship itself as the block will struggle to find correct position.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Indomitus said:

There are a few issues.  One is as described by Antimidation.  There does not appear to be a control to precisely move blocks into position.  G no longer works.

I have also noticed that blocks will not snap onto any faces that are away from the player.  This causes problems with building UP (such as tall posts) or AWAY (such as floors, balconies, or docks).

If it can not be made to automatically snap on faces away from the player (which would be understandable) then we need to have precise movement controls.  Perhaps they can be bound to Player movement + SHIFT keys?  (example: Shift + W moves block forward away from player)

Or combined with CTRL, if Shift is a problem.

Hey,

there is a way to move the block away and towards the player. It's called Build range. It can be seen in the bottom right hint menu. It is on Ctrl + Mouse wheel on default.

image.png

Hope this helps :).

@equieri ......  yes    i deduced that was the issue...    the ship was  4  squares away from the pier i was building and i  decided to  build another  a bit further way ..and  saw the line of  new block  converge  towards the ship ...!   When i moved the ship, some of the blocks  moved with it   so they must have  infringed on the ships  grid.

But  i still  found   the  build system  fiddly ...  i  looks like its  going to take a while to get used to it..

I had a very, frustrating  day,  as you can tell!o.O

the  screenshot  i took  doesn't   help   ..just showed the  blocks  slightly out of alignment  with  no other   frame of  reference....

7 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

@equieri ......  yes    i deduced that was the issue...    the ship was  4  squares away from the pier i was building and i  decided to  build another  a bit further way ..and  saw the line of  new block  converge  towards the ship ...!   When i moved the ship, some of the blocks  moved with it   so they must have  infringed on the ships  grid.

But  i still  found   the  build system  fiddly ...  i  looks like its  going to take a while to get used to it..

I had a very, frustrating  day,  as you can tell!o.O

the  screenshot  i took  doesn't   help   ..just showed the  blocks  slightly out of alignment  with  no other   frame of  reference....

Gotcha, i can understand and sympathise. It's a big change and the issue you came across is quite unfortunate. We're looking forward to more feedback once you get comfortable with it. Thank you :).

How about this issue.  Cursor at top of block, normal, cursor at side of block, place-able block is now one block away, and one block under ground.  And how do I then move that block over one?  Am I missing the instructions on the side for how to move it along its x axis? No boats, flat ground.

Ylands_181120_070231.png

Ylands_181120_070235.png

Auto-placement is still imprecise enough to need manual movement controls.  Some are there- and I'll try your suggestion next time I play- and others are missing.  Plus the auto-placement will sometimes interfere with manual placement.

If we want it to be mouse-based, how about:  CTRL+Scroll = up/down.  CTRL+mouse move = forward/back and left/right.  It seems to me that it would be sensible for the basic block movement controls to be all on keyboard or all on mouse (or even better, to offer the player to choose either option).

Edited by Indomitus

14 hours ago, equieri said:

Hey,

could you send me the savegame and an image of where you wanted to build? I suspect that there has been some overlap of the Ship and Global building grid. With the new system as long as the block outline you're trying to place is inside the Ship's space it will inherit it's grid. So there may be some issues while building close to a ship without the intention to build on the ship itself as the block will struggle to find correct position.

Thank you.

Hey,

there is a way to move the block away and towards the player. It's called Build range. It can be seen in the bottom right hint menu. It is on Ctrl + Mouse wheel on default.

image.png

Hope this helps :).

Well no, i've gone on to explain in the steam forums that this new push and pull mechanic doesn't allow you to slide blocks through things...limiting customization of structures. I can't build a wall flush against the terrain for example. While pushing a block away from you it skips over bumps in the terrain and stops when it hits resistance. They need to change this.....how has no one seen the flaw in the new mechanic? The rotation tools are fine, push and pull needs to be changed.