Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #58

Hi there, fellow ylanders!

The year 2018 is about to end and I think I can safely say that it was a good year for Ylands. The team has grown, we were able to release several great updates, fix some of the most burning issues, and make great progress with fixing most of the remaining ones.

We have entered the polishing / fixing stage, which will culminate in a few months with the release of Ylands 1.0. At that point we will start promoting Ylands fully, and new players will start pouring in... but we’ll just keep on going. We already know what 1.1 will bring, 1.2, 1.3... and soon you will know as well.

Some things obviously didn’t go that well - we expected many things to be finished earlier. We have been waiting for what seems like a millennium to introduce some very cool things to Explore, but because of the very buggy AI and pathfinding, we were unable to do so. Fortunately, things have already started moving in the right direction, so in 2019 Explore will get the HEAPS of love it deserves.

image.png
Yay! Ylands songs were played during a high-profile Christmas concert in St. Salvator Church in Prague

As you all know, we had some difficulties communicating some of our steps, but hopefully we have learned from our mistakes and we'll do our best to make sure everything is as clearly communicated to you guys as possible.

On behalf of the entire Ylands team, let me thank you for staying with us. There are literally tens of thousands of games out there - many of which are just breathtakingly good - and so we DO immensely value the time you spend with us, especially now, during Early Access.

But even though we love working on Ylands and believe we still have a lot to show and achieve, we understand that in the end it’s just a game, and some things are way more important than that. With that in mind - let us wish you a great New Year in 2019.

May you, your family and friends have love, happiness and good health.

Stay classy, ylanders, and we’ll see you in 2019!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 1

I think you have been doing a good job communicating actually. The more people love what you do, the more they panic when you change it in my humble opinion :). Doing videos on games for 10+ years now I have seen that sometimes doing the right thing gets you more panic than doing the wrong thing (in which case people ignore you totally). 

I love that music you added in the last patch. I wish it was constant however and I hope for some more clean transitions when jumping in the sea and such. 

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and that you will have a happy new year! 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Joining in to wish you a happy end of the year 2018 and even better start of 2019!

I play mostly just Explore so I like to see this promising future of this part of the game. ?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

I think you have been doing a good job communicating actually. The more people love what you do, the more they panic when you change it in my humble opinion :). Doing videos on games for 10+ years now I have seen that sometimes doing the right thing gets you more panic than doing the wrong thing (in which case people ignore you totally). 

I love that music you added in the last patch. I wish it was constant however and I hope for some more clean transitions when jumping in the sea and such. 

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and that you will have a happy new year! 

YES! I agree Red Eagle.  Now that 2018 is coming to an end I am almost done unveiling the Volcano City Island.  I'm testing it out now on a new server I bought for 3 months.  The server is called "P1 Geeks YLands" Unfortunately  a lot of buildings I have wont go into it an error comes up with an exclamation point like its loading something then the game crashes. If anyone wants to go in there and add a house, apartment or any building they want, be my guest. The best way I find to build buildings is to create them in the Editor then use the blueprints to bring them into the server on other people servers.  Otherwise I have to rebuild like 15 buildings from scratch which is sad because I thought I was done,  I worked 3-4 months on shaping the Island and adding the buildings.  Constant crashes and I had to restart on the main Island 3 or 4 times from scratch.  But I can see the light, its almost done. :)  Happy NEW YEAR Everybody!!!! :) 

Edited by DW's Gaming N Animation

Still waiting for the big maps from 1.0 ylands release...which i was waiting for half a year so...now at the current rate they are going , it will be at least a year / plus of waiting for this game to release something they teased us about half a year ago. Great...

45 minutes ago, Shu Lin said:

Still waiting for the big maps from 1.0 ylands release...which i was waiting for half a year so...now at the current rate they are going , it will be at least a year / plus of waiting for this game to release something they teased us about half a year ago. Great...

You can always step back and play other games for a while until you think the game is "ready". I was gone for 10 months until a few weeks back. Personally I'm very hyped for the 1.0 release because of the influx of new players it will bring. 

Thats what i did , i went to play other games. well the newly released games are really bad..like maplestory2 -.-  I hope 1.0 comes out soon. Im impressed they improved the game framerate by a much decent rate.

I wish You all the best in the new year 2019. I found the Ylands game like a month ago and I instantly fell in love with it. Thank You very much for Your hard work. Are You planing to add some optional setup for some attributes? Like amount of islands (many small island would be great :) ), distance between them, triangle in the compass direction image (marking the near island). Add the possibility to turn some flags on/off to make the game more challenging.

PS: In attachment few pictures from this awesome game. You can create really beautiful and realistic things ;)

20190101011555_1.jpg

20181230153321_1.jpg

20181217160555_1.jpg

• Like 1