Sign in to follow this  
Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #188 Pictures Prioritized

Hey there, Ylanders! 

Here at the Ylands HQ, we've been busy with polishing things up for the upcoming update, which, as we've mentioned in the last few Dev Diaries, is going to be all about improving Quality of Life based on your suggestions. With that in mind, this week's Dev Diary is going to introduce a small change that will impact not only our talented creators but practically everyone who will launch Ylands.

When you upload your custom game to Ylands, you have the option to choose an image for your creation which will show up as a thumbnail on the main Ylands screen. What we would like to see is more of these images to showcase your beautiful creations! Which is why we want to prioritize games which will have an image uploaded and those will show up before games without one. This way, players can get a better idea what the game they are about to play is about. And our creators can use this as an opportunity to create an interesting image that will draw players in. 

Ylands_210812_164835 (2).png

If you've made a custom game with a thumbnail before, how did you choose to go about creating the image? Did you take the screenshot route? Or perhaps a collage of interesting assets from the game? Did you add text to the image? Or any other element? Let your fellow creators know so that you can inspire each other! 

Players, what has been the most memorable game thumbnail you've seen in Ylands so far? 

Well... And that's it for this week, Ylanders! 

We'll be in touch next week! 

Stay classy! 

• Like 3

When I created games I usually used screenshots in-game but having the option to create customizable images would be greatly appreciated.

I hope that before games get to use it's official thumbnail, the picture is audited to make sure graphically offensive material is filtered away. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I like this better than having to go to workshop to change the image. Will this work on compositions as well as full games?

Edited by spiritchaser28

36 minutes ago, Igor Q. said:

I hope that before games get to use it's official thumbnail, the picture is audited to make sure graphically offensive material is filtered away. 

@Nikki Severin Igor raises an interesting point. So far I think we have been lucky with graphically offensive images being posted. Perhaps it's because it is a small community, but as the game draws in more players this may be something to discuss. Are any steps already being taken to ensure it remains kid friendly with the thumbnail images? I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is yes, but perhaps you could elaborate? 

On a personal level as a parent and a gamer, I do not care if I have to wait a few days before a picture gets approved. On the business end though that particular method might require hiring someone to actually go through each picture posted.....especially if the amount of players grows.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

On the business end though that particular method might require hiring someone to actually go through each picture posted.....especially if the amount of players grows.

Hire Spirit to do it ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

So regarding potentially inappropriate images... 

We do have a mechanic for pulling back inappropriate games, so in case there is an increase in pictures that are not classy, we would implement this. It's definitely something that is in the talks and we will keep you guys posted :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nikki Severin said:

So regarding potentially inappropriate images... 

We do have a mechanic for pulling back inappropriate games, so in case there is an increase in pictures that are not classy, we would implement this. It's definitely something that is in the talks and we will keep you guys posted :) 

?