Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #209 Deep Down, Like Super Deep Down

Hey there, Ylanders! 

It's high time we parted the watery curtain a bit more and gave you another look at what lies below the surface of the Ylands sea, right under the surface and also deep, like super super deep.

The sea floor is now a barren wasteland. But we said enough, no more, we need to breathe some life into the underwater world. For a while, we've been telling that update 1.9 will be all about water, so there's no better time to introduce underwater biotopes

We're working on 6-7 (this may still change!) different biotopes such as coral reefs or kelp forests, which will be specific to the relevant biomes. This, in practice, means that you won't find a coral reef in colder climates such as the Arctic Biome, but will have to sail over to the Tropical Biome to discover the wonders that corals have to offer. Coral reefs, naturally, are full of life, which is a topic for another Dev Diary, but for now, can you guess which biotopes we're going to introduce to the underwater world of Ylands? 

copy.png

And to make things even more interesting and more exploration-worthy, we've increased the ocean depth to be 5 times the current depth. That's adding oh-so-much-more space to be explored. How much do you think you can explore before your air runs out? Again, a topic for another Dev Diary 😉

Well, that's it for this week, Ylanders! Don't forget to...

Stay Classy!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I hope for deep volcanic or at least some black smokers! I wonder if there will be any changes to swimming. It could add a lot to be able to swim gracefully through all that. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds fantastic guys!

May I put forward a question however?

Will we eventually be able to build airtight structures under the waves? I want nothing more than to colonise and exploit the sea floor! :D

d93dd-16351443912298-1920.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 1/20/2022 at 2:51 PM, Nikki Severin said:

we've increased the ocean depth to be 5 times the current depth

We already have trouble seeing down there. Will there be added lights that work well underwater?

• Upvote 4