Question

I know I'm starting a new sleep topic while one is the most recent post, but I don't agree with everything stated in that post and wanted to draw particular attention to what I feel are real issues with the new sleep mechanic.

My grievances, in order of most bothersome to least, are as follows:

~Time does not pass while sleeping:
     -You can't sleep bad weather away anymore. This is a terrible terrible thing. The weather system is awesome in this game, but being marooned by it is awful.
     -Crafting workstation queues do not progress. Minor thing, but a side effect of time not passing and a change from 0.6

~Predefined wake times: When going to sleep I'm asked to choose when I want to wake up, but I'm not told what time it currently is. This is a large oversight in my opinion. It is quite easy to lose track of time, particularly in inclement weather (which you can't sleep away!). Also, why would you choose anything other than morning if sleeping isn't going to do anything other than move the sun(and make you hungry)? What would be the point of sleeping until Noon if the weather will be the same and crafting stations will be exactly where they were?

~Sleeping takes longer than before. This actually ties into (and can be exacerbated by) the second point above as well. The actual moving of the sun/moon along the 'sleep dial' is slower than it used to be. If you've lost track of time and try to sleep at say, 10am, and choose morning, you're in for a long slumber with no way to abort. 

I'm trying to be objective and not react negatively to change just because it's change, but while most of the other changes in 0.7 are good and a couple just need me to 'relearn' how things work, I can't find any benefit to this new sleep system from a single player perspective. Sure, it solves a MP problem, but it dumbed down the mechanic to do it. Maybe this is one of those rare issues that requires a bit of divergence between SP and MP?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

Totally agree with all of your points here. Especially since I used to take a quick nap just to see what the time was but now I can’t I have to guess what the time is if I’m underground and take my chances how long I have to wait before I wake up. I didn’t realise it was already morning when I went to sleep and had to wait until the following morning to wake again, so very tedious.

Maybe if we have a craftable clock to tell the time before we decide to hit the sack? It could function in a similar way to minecraft’s clock with that little sun/moon dial, it would fit nicely with Ylands

Edited by handofthesly

A quick note:
You can press  "~" (Tilde Key)  It toggles your UI, but it has 3 modes. Two of em are simple. UI on and UI Off, but an extra Press will show you some text on the top right of your screen. That shows you, besides the FPS and other information, the current time In World.

That aside. I do agree with this. While I'm fine with voting to sleep. (since we can finally sleep in MP) Just give us more options. Like
Sleep till: 1 AM, 3 AM, 5 AM, etc etc. From 2 in 2 hours.

• Upvote 1

Yes, this.

And I like the idea of being able to craft some simple ways to tell time, from a sundial up to actual clocks.  Maybe a pocket watch that can be equipped and looked at like the map is.  I find myself hitting "~" in every single game I play, just to have some idea of when the sun's going to go down, so I can find shelter when I need to.

3 hours ago, Eujen said:

You can press  "~" (Tilde Key)

*facepalm* I totally forgot you can do this to check the time. Either way, I find this kind of cheating and ruins the immersion of the game too. Definitely would prefer a craftable pocket watch for on the go and a grandfather clock for in my house

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, handofthesly said:

*facepalm* I totally forgot you can do this to check the time. Either way, I find this kind of cheating and ruins the immersion of the game too. Definitely would prefer a craftable pocket watch for on the go and a grandfather clock for in my house

I agree to be honest. Any 'debug' text is sort of cheating. For now, I don't mind using it for the sole reason of actually knowing what hour is. BUt otherwise yea. I'm so for crafting a pocket watch. or any sort of clock you can place in your house/ship :3 

in singleplayer sleeping allowed seeds to grow without having to leave the game on while you go do something else.  in singleplayer. not sure if this was intentional by the devs, but why singleplayer too?  I understand multiplayer could have some limits with this, but did the day and night cycle get turned into just a lighting change and nothing else?  anyway upvoting this cause stuff doesn't grow faster when sleeping to keep with the time, we've had this before and I hope you can put it back.

Voted, I like it, this thread more positive than other.. even tho that makes my other suggestion lower.. :P xD 

All good suggestions should be up there!

Sleeping makes time stop, but getting chucked out of the game while sailing? Nope. You will either die at sea, crash into some unknown island. Or both.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1