Eujen

[SUGGESTION] Lockable Free-Placed Items

Question

Hello there!
(Seems i'm on a roll with these ideas.. I am 50% sure this was posted/asked/suggested before. if so.. I really do apologize and feel free to ignore it if it was suggested before :( )

As the.. title suggests, yet again. 
Lockable free placed items. 

In a nutshell. I've seen a LOT of amazing compositions / creations on the forum. And they are really good!

With this.. whenever you use the 'V' (Free Placement) button/mode. after you place down an item. in the radial menu (Which if I remember is 'E') you'd have an option to Lock and Unlock an object.

Locking an object means it can't be picked up by mystake. (I've had this happen SO many times to me when I accidentaly clicked the pick up button and it picked up the wrong thing. After trying for a good while to get it to sit right) 
But if you DO want to pick it back up. You can access the radial menu again and unlock it. 

That's basically it! 

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

If that’s not possible, what about a totally new mode... let’s say pressing B.

It would work like V except items are solidly placed (preferably with the 2min countdown), and also have an option to use grid - so only difference between it and normal mode is it lets items overlap.

so, for example....

press B - enter perma-freeplace mode

press B again - snap to grid

press B again - exit mode

The mechanism for this already exists in the editor (you can double-click an item and make it non-pickable), so in theory, this should be doable within the game.  I second the notion for this as I've made extensive use of this feature in the editor and wished it was available in-game.  Since there's no concept of ownership in-game, I suppose it would have to be limited to items within your protective barrier field.

• Like 1

Aye that's mostly the reason why I had this idea. Since I know this is doable in the editor. But I wanted to have this option in normal play. Especially when playing on a multiplayer server and I can't edit the map. (Although I don't play MP yet. But yea)
Also regarding the ownership. I was actually thinking that Locked (non pickable) items that were set in this fashion. Should be 'accessed' by anyone. So if you place down an axe on a tree and you lock it. So to say, another player can come and unlock it so he can then pick it up.

I actually would add to this that. This function should be available to everyone. So everyone can lock and unlock items placed in Free Placement mode by anyone. Why? For the simple reason of exploiting it.
As of right now, we need to craft a padlock to place on our doors so others don't enter right? Even in the protective field. So if I'd just place a block in free placement mode and then lock it.. Then yea. Nobody could enter said house.
So yea. To limit the ammount of exploits that can be done with this.
If I place an axe in free placement on the ground and lock it (In my barrier or outside), Baz (as an example) can then simply walk up to it, interact with it and pick it up. In my barrier or outside of it)
Since I believe free placed items can be picked up by anyone in a MP scenario right? So yea.

Quick Edit: Sorry for the typos and repetitions in this post.. It's late. And I'm too tired to fix it. Bear with it for now :<

Edited by Eujen

Agreed. In essence, the only aim should be to prevent accidental picking up by right-clicking near the item.

• Like 1

I also suggested this a little while back, and I totally agree!

I found something out though: This is already a mechanic.  If you make a grass sleeping pad, you place it on the ground and then it has the option to either pick it up or unroll it. You unroll it by pressing [E] and opening the radial menu. Once it's opened, you can't pick it back up until you once again open the radial menu and roll it up. While it's unrolled, you can't pick it up and have the option to sleep on it.

So basically our suggestion for this is that this mechanic is expanded to basically be a standard function of the V-placement mode, where things placed in this can be locked in place so they can't accidentally be picked up after placement.

• Like 1

10/10 idea, I'd like to see this implemented! And/or maybe make items in a barrier unpickable for anyone but the barrier owner.

• Upvote 1

Yes, please. It is impossible to have rugs or furs as decor because of accidental pickup. It should at least require an "are you sure?" Option.

• Downvote 1

Totally agree. For items which have been free placed by the player, instead of instantly picking up with right click, I think if you have to use the option wheel (E) first and then choose to then pick it up would solve this problem for the most part. Items which have not been placed by the player, i.e. naturally spawned items when the game was first started, would still pick up with right-click. 

This means items which can be interacted with, like soil containers placed on the ground, will be interacted with with right click to open their inventories and then picked up by using E and then clicking to pick up.

As long as it is for actually picking items up and not for things like harvesting crops, as you'd have to press E for every damn plant.

The sleeping pads may cause a bit of a problem as they need to be unpacked, packed, and laid on as well as being picked up. Maybe if the HOLD right click option returned (from back in pre-Steam era) to pack and unpack, normal right click to lie on and get back up, and then E for picking it up when it has been packed.

Edited by handofthesly
  • Like 1

Hey, it is now Possible.

Just open the radial Menu with Q while looking at an item you want to fix. Click on Harden and you cant accidently pick it up.

If you want to pick it up again just hold your demolition Hammer in Hand and click deconstruct on the item. (Click C to aim better)