Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #52

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Today I would like to talk a bit about the new visual scripting, but I will start by mentioning a patch that’s planned for next week.

The patch contains several fixes (critical ones, there will be a patch with UI improvements released at a later date). In addition to those, we are now able to easily ban players on our side from hosting / joining MP sessions for a certain time (or permanently). Since we had received a lot of complaints about some players’ behavior (which now, thanks to the newly introduced game name, are easily identifiable) we acted immediately and they have been banned. When the patch is installed, they will see the information about their ban and the time left before it’s lifted (if temporary).

Also, you may have noticed that linking your Steam account to BI Account is still disabled. Originally, we offered this to players so that we would have another unique way of identifying them outside of Steam (= on non-PC platforms), so that they would be able to access their progress/purchases/creations even there. With the introduction of the unique game name we’re looking into using that name instead, and linking might no longer be needed. We will keep you posted.

As you already know, right now we’re working on 0.10, which will bring the new visual scripting. Let’s start with some basic information (we’ll be talking about this much more in the upcoming weeks).  

The new visual scripting is not only a very intuitive (and cool) way of scripting things in your world, but along with it we will be giving you access to lots of things you haven’t been able to affect before. The idea is for you to be able to easily script an action, adventure, racing, or puzzle game (or a mix of those, or even something brand new :) ). Even though there will still be some things you won’t be able to achieve in 0.10 (like side-scrollers etc.) because you won’t be able to change the character control scheme or use some specific camera settings, there will still be a lot for you to do. ;) 

You will have access to things ranging from math and logic operators, to loops, arrays, string operations and much more. You will be able to display customized texts - game goals, elapsed laps, times or hints. You will have control over how the characters are spawn. Over the game time and its speed. Over weather.  You will be able to put characters in control of ships and cars. Set your own description of objects, changes weapons' and armors' stats.

You will be able to handle multiplayer by creating your own MP “lobby” - or simply importing one we created for you as a composition because, yes, sharing is caring, and we’ll be sharing a lot of things with you (and hopefully you will share with the community as well).  

Along with 0.10 you will get a new tutorial - which will be very interactive, and you will,  as always, have full access to its source scene to check how it is done. The same goes for several game “templates” that will illustrate as well how various kind of games can be created.

BlueCottage.png
The night is deep and full of terrors... and so it's great to find nice place to lay your head :) (Blue Cottage courtesy of @bojo2736)

And today we end with yet another portion of Questions & Answers:

What's the next gaming show/place where we can find you? I enjoyed meeting a lot of you at last year's Gamescom

Very likely Ylands will be presented again as a part of the BI booth at Gamescom, but unlike the last year, the people there won’t be the actual Ylands devs, since this year we will be extremely busy at that time - we;d like to meet with you more often in 2019.

When will we get animal breeding? & Can we get more animals?

Actually, the animals breed even now, but it’s some simple algorithm, and it happens only when the players are not around. :) While it would be rather easy to simply spawn a new adult animal when you put two of the same species next to each other, we want to add this feature when we can have animal babies, so that it actually introduces a new gameplay. This is on our list, but it will most likely happen sometime in 2019.

I spend all of my time in the Editor. I love trying to create challenges for player and i was curious about what additions are planned? maybe some sound blocks where the pitch and length can be controlled?

In that case you will love what 0.10 brings. Although there will be no sound blocks, you will be able to create something playing various sounds based on whatever you set up via the visual scripting rather easily.

That's it for now. Have a great time until we talk again, and as always, ylanders, you stay classy!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

Here we go, my favourite weekly news! 

34 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

You will have access to things ranging from math and logic operators, to loops, arrays, string operations and much more. You will be able to display customized texts - game goals, elapsed laps, times or hints. You will have control over how the characters are spawn. Over the game time and its speed. Over weather.  You will be able to put characters in control of ships and cars. Set your own description of objects, changes weapons' and armors' stats.

Oh my oh my! That will be the greatest day for creators! Thanks Devs! Have a nice weekend guys!

Edited by V-Alfred
  • Like 3

Animal babies????? Tameable? I want a tame polar bear buddy!! I could ride him, and have him protect me!  

And baby goats? How cut will that be?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

we acted immediately and they have been banned.

It's good to see a pro-active stance being taken.

However, in light of a recent post, I am curious as to whether such a ban is just for the official servers or all servers, including those paid for and hosted by the person banned?

• Like 2

I am really looking forward to this update. Proper editor scripting will be amazing :).

Also, I was looking at the roadmap and noticed something. Technically, 0.10 has already been released back in 2016. And the update was called "Extended Editor". It's very fitting that the 'new' 0.10 update will be focused on the editor as well xD.

Edited by Desolation
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:49 AM, Desolation said:

And the update was called "Extended Editor". It's very fitting that the 'new' 0.10 update will be focused on the editor as well xD

lol, 0.100 will be "Extended Editor: Remastered" xD

Edited by V-Alfred
actually 0.100 not 0.10 anymore :D
  • Haha 1

On 23/6/2018 at 11:25 PM, Indian Chief said:

Hi, just wondering when/ if the team has looked into fixing the ships during MP yet?

Cheers

Just to be clear, what issue in particular are you referring to?

I assume he is talking about them having no compass. 

But it could also be the issue of them tossing you all around and randomly killing you and sending you to far away islands.

But it's probably the compass thing.

Edited by bojo2736
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

I assume he is talking about them having no compass. 

But it could also be the issue of them tossing you all around and randomly killing you and sending you to far away islands.

But it's probably the compass thing.

Nice one Bojo, yeah funny enough those are the first two bugs that come to mind on the ships. Not to get thrown around like a drag doll, or if I am.. to at least know which direction I'm getting thrown ;) 

• Haha 3

You have to read your map while being tossed around, and you have to do that before becoming an icecube out of nowhere.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Ane said:

...without a doubt hes referring to the "clutter my inventory with stuff I already put in some other container" bug ;)

But perhaps he means the thing, where u cannot stack items with items of the same type which you painted before.

Or that, when you build smth and the part you just dropped is invisible until you relog.....

Hmm...I don´t know nuffing, Jon Snow.

Edited by Apokh

9 hours ago, Ane said:

This might be lag related and especially when playing with other people.  I've noticed that once the ship is moving, it is very easy to "fall off" when running or jumping around.  Another thing that I find annoying is inability to see the map while behind the helm.  I have to constantly switch back and forth between map and ship controls.  PLEASE, allow us to toggle map in our possession with 'm' key at any time.

• Upvote 1

Even with a parked ship (anchor down), I get tossed around while trying to walk on the ship. Go through a door and I'm transported to another part of the ship, not even in line with where I was going. While activating contact with the Helm, the game zooms way out and zooms back in to only a head at the helm. Let go of the Helm and sometimes you are knocked off the ship, while the ship sails away. Those are the known ship problems I've seen. I have yet to see the Ship turn black since the update, but more people will find them out in time. I will try to record an outing on a ship and post the link here to the video, so you can see what happens while on a ship. I will use Single Player so it shouldn't be a latency issue. Thank you Devs for all the hard work. I can't wait to make a Hunger Games style Map. =)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I haven't played MP yet, but: What is bannable? Is there somewhere we can read what is a bannable offense? Thanks.

1 hour ago, oversoul619 said:

I haven't played MP yet, but: What is bannable? Is there somewhere we can read what is a bannable offense? Thanks.

Hey mate, welcome to the Ylands community. At this stage every server has different rules depending on how players/host's would like the game to be played. P1 gaming for e.g posts signs that you can't miss, mean while Stouts community have been together a while now and have limited to no rules as we all play the same. Pvp I'd say no rules apply, and pve host/server dependant :)

• Like 1