Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #46

Hey there, fellow ylanders! 

So we’ve finally released 0.10 "Clever coding". I believe it will take some time for many to realize how powerful the Editor has become, because it is something that isn’t obvious right away. Some great games will probably have to be made for everyone to realize its full potential. We will do our best so that you can make them!

We will keep working on the Editor in the upcoming months.  There are still many things that need to work better, and you will see improvements with every single update - both pre- and post- 1.0. But that's just a part of what our plans are. Starting with the next week we will begin to release tips and tricks (especially since there are extremely useful keyboard shortcuts used with the visual scripting you might not be aware of :) ), tutorials, and most importantly, a proper documentation – we're even starting an official wiki we want to share with you soon.  We will do our best so that you have the tools and can share your know-how with each other. 

Spyler.jpg
Some of you managed to create amazing things even with the old scripting system... Let's see what happens now :)   (Spaceport courtesy of @spyler.1989)

You might have noticed that in 0.10 we fixed an issue or two (actually close to 200 :)). In 0.11 you can expect at least that much plus... optimizations! We won’t be giving any details or numbers about this particular improvement for many reasons - most importantly because it always depends on what kind of level you're playing. However, it is safe to say that if you like to build larger structures from many blocks, you will love what’s to come. 

There will definitely be more improvements than just these – we've gathered enough feedback on the new ingame GUI, and so we will improve it based on that. Hopefully, we will finally get to a combat version good enough to be released. And some more things that I will talk about in the future. 

When 0.11 comes out we want you to feel the difference, to feel that we are really getting close to becoming a polished game. We plan to put a lot of effort into it and make it really good, so instead of saying that it will be released "in about six weeks from now“ and then keep you hanging for several more weeks, I think it‘s fair to say that this update (we will announce its name soon) won‘t be out earlier than in two months. 

It is quite likely, though, that we’ll release a small update (0.10.1) before that. I’ll tell you more in a week or two. 

Because we’re coming to an end of this Dev Diary, we would like to thank everyone who found time to visit us at Gamescom! If you talked to Eris about the parrot, you will get yours sometime during the next week. 

That's it for now – I'll talk to you again next Friday. Until then have a great time - and stay classy! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Agreed.  The new scripting is amazing so far.  Access to settings, vector calculations, math functions, arrays...  There's so much to explore.  I have not even started playing with the variables, but I have some truly mind-blowing ideas that I want to try with those.  The ability to create our own subroutines?  I look forward to seeing what I can do with that.

And we have the tools we need to create complex dialogue trees now!  NPC's are going to get fancy.

tutorials

I was thinking of doing a few of those myself.  There so much possibility in there, and many players won't have the dev experience to see it right away.

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 1

Any plans to add some of the editor functioality in game, specifially the grab bars for precise placement, and the ability to make unpickable under your own barrier? These would be awesome additions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ha ha ha spoken to Eris but did not discuss the parrot ? But thank you all for a lot of the fixes, and many more to come with 0.11 ?

7 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

we're even starting an official wiki we want to share with you soon.

Please don't use one of the wiki sites that gobbles memory if you leave it open while playing a game.  I cant remember the name of it because I've removed all links that go to it.  Does anyone know the one i'm talking about?

27 minutes ago, Onedown said:

Please don't use one of the wiki sites that gobbles memory if you leave it open while playing a game.  I cant remember the name of it because I've removed all links that go to it.  Does anyone know the one i'm talking about?

Curse. 

1 hour ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Curse. 

I am not familiar with curse, Im pretty sure it has wikia as part of its name.  I think there are several that have that as part of their name and several games I played had wiki pages there.  Leaving the wiki open while playing gobbles more and more memory until the games become unplayable while open.  I really hope they take this into account when they choose.

Edited by Onedown

2 hours ago, Onedown said:

I am not familiar with curse, Im pretty sure it has wikia as part of its name.  I think there are several that have that as part of their name and several games I played had wiki pages there.  Leaving the wiki open while playing gobbles more and more memory until the games become unplayable while open.  I really hope they take this into account when they choose.

Ylands Gamepedia? I'm not sure tho.