Ane

Dev Diary #76

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

In this Dev Diary we're going to discuss one issue that has been with us for a long time - and which we're finally getting rid of. I'm talking about pathfinding.

We are all more than familiar with moments where animals can't get to the player, get stuck in the scene, and more.

While implementing a nicely working pathfinding in games that have static terrain (in other words, one that can't be modified) or that are made out of uniform blocks is quite easy, with worlds that can dynamically change, this is a non-trivial problem. It took us quite long to get it right, but I'm very excited to let you know that the new pathfinding system will be present in the update 0.13.

We will also do some adjustments to how caves and terrains are generated so that everything works as it should, and in return we will get encounters with animals both on the surface and underground.

Now you may be thinking - "well, so animals will be moving around in a better way... and that's it?", but wait, there's MUCH MORE to this.

Ylands_190422_161859.png.0e86b60d2e61c09b05a966e4ff4a08b9.png

The calm before the storm, by bb cakes_P1.

For a loooooong time we had plans to improve the gameplay to be more exciting, engaging, rewarding. Our hands were tied because there's not really much you can do when hostile entities can't get where you need them. Having a nicely working pathfinding opens the door to... proper AI. Yes, the pathfinding in 0.13 will be followed by an improved AI, which we believe will be a true game-changer.

With a reliable pathfinding system in place, we have already started working on a new AI system that will benefit not only Explore, but also many games that creators will make. With the ability to make units patrol, guard places, set up how aggressive they are and so on, a whole new gaming experience opens. All this (hopefully released as a part of update 0.14) will be based on the new pathfinding introduced in 0.13, so as you see, it's actually a very big and important step forward.

And speaking of updates - we've learnt our lesson on telling release dates, but I can assure you that for 0.13 you will have to wait much, much less than with 0.12.

And that's it for now. Have a great weekend, ylanders, and stay classy!

-----------------------------------

Now it's time to catch up on your questions!

I love the logic template that we have available. However to improve performance issues, can we have the ability to despawn/remove logics generated from templates?

That is some good feedback - I'll pass it to our programmers!

Additionally, when will we get the option to have manual cinematic cameras? It would he helpful for a game that is fixed to a region and I want to provide a specific perspective.

Yes! Actually we're already working on something that is a prerequisite for this.

Are there any plans for more feminine clothing options like dresses and high heels?

High heels are not currently planned. We are currently doing some tests with more feminine clothing, but the main problem are skirts. Since there is no cloth simulation present, especially skirts are a problem with a lot of character animations.

Could glass blocks be a thing? In all the shapes and sizes we have in other blocks?

We would like to have them as well, but right now there are some performance issues related to them, so they are not supported.

Regarding the friend list, will we also have the option to not appear online?

That is a good point. Probably not when it comes out, but definitely in a later update.

Will we be able to use our (perfectly adequate) Steam friends list?

No. This friend list is not connected with the Steam friends list in any way (we need it to work on much more than just the PC platform).

Will we be able to view other peoples' friendlists?

No, this is not currently planned.

Is the "friendship" going to be approved from both sides (like Facebook) or one sided (follow on a non-secured Instagram account)? 

You will be able to offer a friendship to anyone. They may decide to accept or deny. If you get harrassed by anyone this way, you can always block them.

Is there any plan/possibility for the chat to include voice?

Not at this point.

How about global and local/yland chat channel?

There will be several chat channels to use - I think you will find them to your liking (smile)

With all this social stuff gearing up, is there plans for Official Explore servers coming back to use said friends with? With separate PVP and PVE servers? Will we be able to have many clans or sub clans?

Yes. While we still don't have any ETA, we would definitely like to run some official Explore servers. 

Do you have plans for 16, 24, 48 player servers?

We do have plans to support more players than the current maximum, but the exact number will depend on the type of game, it won't be a single number available everywhere.

Do you guys plan on making sea voyages more dangerous? Maybe pirates or sea monsters?

Yes, we would really like to do that.

Any news on new costumes? (I still want a demon costume)

We will be bringing many more costumes in the future (demon could definitely be one of them - we would even like players to vote on those (smile)).

Does Ylands plan to ever implement 3D model imports?

Once Ylands 1.0 is released, we would like to address the topic of modding in general - we will have more info at that point.

How about lightning being dangerous if caught outside on a high area?

We really love how the lighting works in Zelda and would like to have something like this, but it is not planned at this moment.

Is there an estimated time for when the water terrain tool will come back?

We want to add better water simulation after version 1.0 is released, but are also discussing releasing some basic Editor tool that would allow simple addition/removal of water in specified areas before that.

I have the idea that I've read somewhere about this friend list coming along with the possibility to share our protection barrier with friends? Anything about it?

Yes, that is still planned. First we'll release the friends list and then we'll keep adding more cool features on top of it.

Will there be an easier way to collaborate with other people on the Editor - maybe even being able to do real time building in the Editor?

This is something we are discussing quite often. It is not something we plan before 1.0 but we would at least like to discuss with you what the possibilities and priorities are in this regard before that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Some features I would love to see added:  

Can barriers be made to show who they belong too?  

Please please turn on the avatar names in editor so they look like the ones in explore.  Or alternatively, some way to easily get to/ see characters.

Another game I play has an ingame mailbox.  Inside there are game functions, but you can also "email" other users and also attach items.  So you can give gifts, building supplies, etc.  Could something like this be implemented?

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Ane said:

We want to add better water simulation after version 1.0 is released

I know that you have a lot of features and a lot to polish before 1.0. But I would still see the water as a major problem. We are unable to do pretty much anything near the water. If we try, we are punished. It's pretty to look at and that's it. Ylands without water are not islands. Last update was great for ships, but again - we should rather not leave them at all, which is quite a shame.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

I know that you have a lot of features and a lot to polish before 1.0. But I would still see the water as a major problem. We are unable to do pretty much anything near the water. If we try, we are punished. It's pretty to look at and that's it. Ylands without water are not islands. Last update was great for ships, but again - we should rather not leave them at all, which is quite a shame.

I agree, and you could have a lot of negative opinion on your steam page just because of that. Please make sure that the water is simulated correctly for the release of 1.0 and not after that would be taken as a bug for most new players.

Love the road you take for the IA, superduperhype

• Downvote 1

The  comment about  high heels   from me was  partly a joke  .. heheh ...  but different  skirts would be  nice,  however  how about  more  feminine tops / shirts ? :D

All this proposed  stuff   sounds  great ....     can hardly  wait 

With AI path finding, will this mean we can finally give "teams" or "labels" to entities so they can either be hostile or friendly to other entities?