RedEagle_P1.

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-21890] Chat censor

Question

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

The filter shouldn't even be activated because it is 2 different words. It may be the string restrictions they have. 

And I agree on the opt out. If im playing with a close friends I should be able to speak as I want. Filtering is a good thing only for public. 

We'll review the strictness of the filter. The worry is, that people could write f * * k (with spaces) but I'll recommend to the designers to relax it with different words. Should be done in 1.2.

2 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

We'll review the strictness of the filter. The worry is, that people could write f * * k (with spaces) but I'll recommend to the designers to relax it with different words. Should be done in 1.2.

There will always be ways around any filter, no matter how it's set up.  It should cover the basics only.  Variants with spaces or dashes, or whatever, should be optional at most, because there will always be alternate ways to spell them or type them to bypass the filter.

Ultimately, the best way to deal with this is to give US better means to monitor and manage our own servers.  Until then, BI is going to waste a lot of energy micro-managing.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

I'm pretty sure there is a list of the common words used, like your example. On the other hand, chat filtering is not hard to make, but the hard part is to manage sentences or words that contain strictions in it's *string * but it's not a "bad word". 

For example: class would be filtered if there is a striction to *ass* (apologize for the word, it was just to follow the idea). 

Maybe a better approach to it, would be the game creator, the server owner, player itself, etc, have the option to enable/disable it? 

This filter gets pretty annoying.

It's over zealous and easy to bypass. I would prefer it if this was an opt-in option instead of a default compulsory censor. Especially as multiplayer is intended to be amongst few people - who are then likely to know each other. 

1 hour ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

We will be tweaking the censor system in 1.2 to be less strict, but it will stay compulsory.

Okay, that's excellent! Is it compulsory to maintain a rating criteria? If so, that's cool. Thanks for taking a look at it!

• Like 1