Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #171 Crafting improvements

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

We are currently finalizing a patch that will fix some things that have popped up since we‘ve released update 1.6 and are fully focusing on version 1.7 so it seems like a good time to start discussing some of the features (or changes) we are currently working on.

One of the things we would like to address in the next update is crafting recipes and how you learn these. We already have a huge number of items you can craft in the games (and, as promised, will be adding recipes for more existing objects based on your feedback). Right now there are over 2000 recipes in the game - which is quite a lot.

Ylands_210408_161048.png

Being able to craft so many things is good, but working with so many recipes is not an easy task... and neither is learning them. In the past players used to learn those gradually based on some relationships between the objects they crafted and those unknown to them. This, however, wasn't working very well, so currently, the players have access to all the recipes right from the beginning. Even though they are divided into categories, finding what can be crafted can be quite painstaking and not fun at all. Also, and that‘s actually the most important thing, there‘s no fun in uncovering new recipes, no awarding those that deserve it.

To improve this game part we plan to do the following:

* dramatically reduce the number of recipes available right from the start. We will divide all the recipes into two categories - let‘s call them „core“ and „fun“. The core ones (mostly things needed to progress through the game) you will know right from the start. The rest (the absolute majority) you will uncover during your travels. So those, who explore, will have more interesting clothes, prettier houses, finer statues. 

* group some entities even further, so instead of 20+ hay building blocks blocking (pun intended) what you see in the list you will see one „hay building blocks“ group

* do some UX tweaks to existing UI

We believe this change will have a major impact on gameplay. The exploration will feel much more rewarding, players‘ clothing and housing will be highly differentiated. This is also the reason why we won‘t let players choose when starting a new Exploration game whether they already know all the recipes - we want the world to feel real and plan to add the possibility of sharing the recipes with others.

That's it for today and we will talk to you again in a week. Until then, as always, stay healthy and classy, ylanders!

• Like 6

So does this mean recipes will unlock based on materials? I think that's a good option.  You mention "finer statues" does this mean Busts will be included in crafting eventually?

• Like 1

Příjdou hráči v rozehrané hře o recepty?

@spiritchaser28 How will the specific things unlock is yet to be finalized/tested, but we definitely plan to keep adding recipes for items that don't have them, some of them in 1.7.

@jar.janca Known recipes will be reset only when starting a new game

• Like 2

I like this direction! A lot of other games have adopted a similar solution to the multi-varied blocks issue with great success (Avorion, Starmade to name a few).

Im very intrigued with the paths that players will unlock recipes. It would be interesting to see what types of ‘cultures’ will emerge depending on which way Ylanders unlock new recipes. We could see players who favour wood-based architecture over others who use sandstone or ice blocks!

Might I make a bold suggestion and look into the possibility of creating ‘recipe pamphlets’. Players could use blank paper to make physical/tradable recipies that could be traded and consumed?

Edited by Deadeye_Rob
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I personally think it is best if the recipes only show in the crafting menu based on the resources you have in you inventory. It's less laggy to load the menus. I'm only saying this because my computer has low RAM (soon to be upgraded) but for players with lower memory it seems to help. I do like the idea of "Core and fun" recipes....Core should include all workstation recipes, basic weapon and tool recipes, etc. Fun should concentrate on art recipes, better furniture, etc

13 minutes ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

Might I make a bold suggestion and look into the possibility of creating ‘recipe pamphlets’. Players could use blank paper to make physical/tradable recipies that could be traded and consumed?

I like this idea as well....but it would require an actual physical representation in the exploration world....sort of like blueprints but maybe they can be interactable with storage or like workstations?....Not sure though how much this would bog down actual gameplay.....seems like a great simple idea at it's core, but implementing the idea into action may take some serious complicated effort

But lets entertain this idea....say people could make custom cabinet or couch recipes,  different blacksmith stations (In appearance and maybe in recipes they can use) Those are a few small examples 

Edited by spiritchaser28

I think what @Aleš Ulm is implying is simplifying the menus to make gameplay more fluid and less laggy overall. I think everybody can agree waiting for the full menu to load can be quite time consuming.....especially if you just want to craft say.....a stone block....there's no use in looking at all the other recipes that don't have the stone. It's a bit of a pain waiting for all the sandstone blocks to load in the menu if all you got in your inventory is some logs... I guess my question is, is that what you are implying Ales? Keep core menu items like blacksmith, foundry tanning racks, etc as recipes that are "unlocked" but other menu items only "unlocked" if you have the materials?

Edited by spiritchaser28

Will this include improvements to the previews of blocks inside a group? For example quickly being able to tell one slope from another without clicking on it, same with rectangular blocks. Currently there is a bit of guessing, and learning the order they are in. It's not very quick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In principle, I think your considerations are very good, but I would still like to get rid of some concerns.

As I keep reading now that the game should be made more difficult, with more fighting and attacks, today you are talking about more travel. That, too, is to be welcomed in principle.

Now, however, I am one of those players who would rather have it a little more comfortable. I place a lot of value on building and designing, although I am inclined to traveling, but rather averse to fighting. It would be a shame if they couldn't trust players like that in the future. Perhaps it is possible for you to create a balance, I am thinking, for example, of trading opportunities in which one can then earn or negotiate many of these items through diligence (for example agriculture or forestry). This would add another component to the game as well. Unfortunately, today's trading system does not yet reflect this.

Sorry for my bad english. :)

Edited by lady_whynot
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, JohnMFSteel said:

For example quickly being able to tell one slope from another without clicking on it, same with rectangular blocks. Currently there is a bit of guessing

I'm with you there.....when you try to figure out the sloped blocks it's usually looking at a picture of a square compared to another square. The pictures should more accurately represent the slopes and corner blocks....I mean show an angle at the very least. I've included a pic. I'd rather see this angle than see the square bottom side of the block. 

Snow_Block_%282x2x2_Slope%29.png

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

* group some entities even further, so instead of 20+ hay building blocks blocking (pun intended) what you see in the list you will see one „hay building blocks“ group

Can we also group them when we are in the workstation windows? Trying to find a chisel in the blacksmith forge when there are so many runes or a steel tube in the foundry when there are so many iron blocks and steel blocks is sometimes a pain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1