Hi guys,

I've been playing for a little bit and I'm a little stuck, I have no idea how to make a furnace, or basically craft anything. Isn't there a wiki or a guide to help out a bit? I don't feel like spending hours to find out how to craft one item.

Also, have you guys noticed that in first person the camera shakes a bit? It's hard to place items in an exact place, this way.

Cheers!

Hi. There is indeed a wiki, but it's quite empty at the moment - http://ylands.gamepedia.com/. You can help by contributing as well if you want to! :)

About the crafting in general - we are definitely planning to make it more intuitive and easier to understand inside the game. 
I'll give you a hint about the furnace - you can find clay on any Yland and dig it out of the ground using a pick or a shovel.

Camera shaking in first person - Nice observation! We will fix that. 

Have a nice day!

3 hours ago, Sjors Hamel said:

Hi guys,

I've been playing for a little bit and I'm a little stuck, I have no idea how to make a furnace, or basically craft anything. Isn't there a wiki or a guide to help out a bit? I don't feel like spending hours to find out how to craft one item.

Also, have you guys noticed that in first person the camera shakes a bit? It's hard to place items in an exact place, this way.

Cheers!

Yea I don't play in the first person.  It is a bit hard to see your surroundings.  As for the forge, I would suggest making a couple of stone pickaxes and scour the surface of the mountain and look for clay.  It took me an hour to find clay, iron and coal veins.  But once you find them you are golden.  Just DON"T do what I did and try to dig into the mountain.  Everything can be found on the surface.  Just look for the different color rocks.

Edited by Gracekain
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the reactions!

Hmm, I've gathered clay before, but I couldn't craft a furnace. Anyway, I'll just collect that again, and maybe more this time.

Cheers,

53 minutes ago, GrynnReaper said:

There's coal?

There is. :) Im not sure how were veins redistributed over different yland types but I found it just on the yland with conifers. ;)

On 8. 11. 2016 at 1:15 AM, Gracekain said:

Yea I don't play in the first person.  It is a bit hard to see your surroundings.

First person is a great thing when you are trying to lay something down perfectly. I play most of the time in 3rd person too, but I do not have a warehouse as you have, so I use 1st person when Im trying to pick up different items from the ground.

Hi,

you will be able to build ships in the upcoming update (which is coming out pretty soon). There you will just have to construct a hull. That already comes with the helm (steering wheel). Then you just need a mast with a sail or two and you're good to go!

The fun part, though, is, that although the hull is one objects (actually there will be more types with even more coming later), everything that is on it is totally up to you. You can build and place stuff there the same way you do on solid ground, so your ship can, in the end, look almost any way you like... Like a "proper" ship, like a floating house, like something straight out of nightmares... :)  We are really looking forward to seeing all the weird constructions you players will come up with :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Totally agree with the clay comment. Once you see it you can't unsee it. I spent wayyy to long looking for nodes that didn't exist. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Because crafting weren't very intuitive for me too. I have started building my own Crafting Guide.

You can check it out here, if you want to:

darroue.cloud/ylands

It's not yet finished. I'm hoping, that someone will join me and finishes it together with me.

Feel free to contact me with Direct messages if you have any questions regarding the guide itself. Or in any other matter actually.

Best regards,

Darroue

I was thinking as I played that the inventory need a uses option. Such as when u hover over something, like clay, and press say the U key it will pop up with a sub menu listing what u can make with said item. (a bit like nei  for minecraft) this would help alot of people especially when it's hard to determine what's new when the item was collected. On item collection for first time it could unlock recipes at the corner of the screen 

I agree about the crafting, It is odd that things do not show up as craft-able until you have the items in your possession. The analogy would be forgetting how to make a sandwich because you are out of bread. Please fix this.

1 hour ago, renderin said:

The analogy would be forgetting how to make a sandwich because you are out of bread.

That analogy is not entirely accurate. Once you have discovered the recipe it always shows in your crafting tab but it is not craftable until you physically have the materials in your possession again. You still ‘remember’ how to make the item.

Before discovering the recipe, the recipe simply doesn’t show up because you haven’t discovered the items it requires yet. Otherwise that would be like knowing how to make something without knowing what it is actually made out of, which in my opinion makes even less sense.

I do agree though that it can be hard to know what you actually need to be making in the first place. Without knowing you need to make Yarn and a Sewing Kit I don’t think it is very obvious how to go about making Cloth or Clothing without having real world knowledge on how they are made. There are some hints as long as you have a rough idea or have happened to collect a few of the items to start with like you would know how to make Yarn if you had collected Cotton already which would also tell you to make a Spinning Wheel. Once you make the Yarn then you would know how to make a Sewing Kit and Cloth which would tell you to make a Weaving Loom etc etc. it is a progression tree after all, if you don’t collect lots of different resources and make lots of different items as they come available then you are never going to learn more recipes or anything.

12 hours ago, handofthesly said:

That analogy is not entirely accurate. Once you have discovered the recipe it always shows in your crafting tab but it is not craftable until you physically have the materials in your possession again. You still ‘remember’ how to make the item.

Before discovering the recipe, the recipe simply doesn’t show up because you haven’t discovered the items it requires yet. Otherwise that would be like knowing how to make something without knowing what it is actually made out of, which in my opinion makes even less sense.

I do agree though that it can be hard to know what you actually need to be making in the first place. Without knowing you need to make Yarn and a Sewing Kit I don’t think it is very obvious how to go about making Cloth or Clothing without having real world knowledge on how they are made. There are some hints as long as you have a rough idea or have happened to collect a few of the items to start with like you would know how to make Yarn if you had collected Cotton already which would also tell you to make a Spinning Wheel. Once you make the Yarn then you would know how to make a Sewing Kit and Cloth which would tell you to make a Weaving Loom etc etc. it is a progression tree after all, if you don’t collect lots of different resources and make lots of different items as they come available then you are never going to learn more recipes or anything.

Then I have a bug, because nothing shows in my crafting menu until i have the items.

Then I have a bug, because nothing shows in my crafting menu until i have the items.

Ok yeah that is strange, once you’ve learnt the recipe it should stay available in the crafting menu. So say you’ve picked up a piece of Flint then the recipes for stone knife and flint lighter should appear and stay there. You don’t accidentally have a different sub-tab selected or have anything written in the search box? 

1 hour ago, handofthesly said:

Ok yeah that is strange, once you’ve learnt the recipe it should stay available in the crafting menu. So say you’ve picked up a piece of Flint then the recipes for stone knife and flint lighter should appear and stay there. You don’t accidentally have a different sub-tab selected or have anything written in the search box? 

Nah, its constant.

I mentioned it in another thread, but got no response. Ill post screen shots later.

Edited by renderin

Nah, its constant.

I mentioned it in another thread, but got no response. Ill post screen shots later.

Ok maybe start a new thread in the bugs section and include screenshots and your output files too. Hopefully @Ane can help you out here.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've missed your post then, creating a new one as detailed as possible will be the best :)