Aethelis

respawn beacon?

Question

hey,

after i spent a large chunk of yesterdays gameing time by rowing a raft to the yland i died on, i thought about the matter a bit.

my prime choice would be some sort of respawn beacon (i'm not too picky about its look, be it a bed or a dais or what ever).

the main reason is, that its important to get the ship back, without the need to build a new one. so something that can be placed on a medium and/or large ship would be nice.

this could be further explored by a construction for placement on land. something i can build in my base, or more importantly on a yland i'm exploring or to which i resettled.

it would be for more advanced characters i guess, but idealy craftable without yllandium or other rare stuff.

on my first yland the spawn was inhabited by a wild puma, and i so wished i could respawn im my camp, without running the gauntlet everytime :)

another thing would be either a small craft that is faster than the raft (and without pressing W the whole time), or something like advanced paddles for the existing two. just to get that other ship from a distant yland, without sacrificing a lot of advanced ressources, faster than a raft does.

cheers

• Upvote 3

35 replies to this bug / suggestion

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, as this is pretty old... also, I am yet to actually play the game so my opinion isn't very valid (waiting for Steam release. All I know about the game is Youtube plays, and I have come to the conclusion that 'no spawn points' is probably the thing that pisses them [Youtubers] off the most. One of them is always on a very fine line between rage quitting and just getting to that next island the entire time).

But my take is that there is a basic divide between hardcore experience players, and more casual players. And how to adapt to that is to simply add a basic "difficulty" setting, where you have at least two basic settings (possibly permanent or toggle-able) with one being "hardcore" and "casual." The hardcore is obviously for those seeking thrill and strive off that fear of death, while the casual is more for those just wanting to sandbox and explore. The hardcore would be as things currently are, no real way to set a spawn, and so on... the casual would allow a player to create a new spawn point, whether through crafting and placing something or by simply sleeping in a bed.
Perhaps, at some point in the game (some advanced technology level) you could set individual spawn points, one of which you could choose after dying (similar to how Ark: Survival Evolved allows you to spawn a new character at a bed owned by your tribe).

That's just my quick suggestion on this seemingly old conversation... that's personally just how I would like things to be. Regardless, I am still excited for the game's release and will likely be one of the people purchasing it day 1 on Steam :D

• Upvote 1

Hi,

thanks for the feedback (any is appreciated! :)). The truth is that while we are planning on expanding how the spawning works at this moment, in future we would also like to give players options to customize their games (Exploration included) experience much more which I think you will find interesting :).

Hi @Aleš Ulm I have been looking at videos from some of the video game content creators on youtube the last few days (apperently there is a big hype under them with Ylands, and thank @Myrik Greene for all the tweets with links).

They really like the game but 1 thing they do talk about is the respawn after they die on a other Yland than where they started and need do the entire trip over again, they hate that, and that point is the biggest downside of the current version in their eyes. 

Even seen 1 video where they player did not want to risk big exploration just because he was to afraid to die on that Yland and start over again, and the fact that they injure them selfs (falling or by a animale attack) they still need to do a bit of exploring getting the tools to heal faster and i don't want to spoil that part as that should be on them to find that out on their own :)

• Upvote 1

You're right Melle.
Yesterday I was watching an Ylands streaming. I gave a little help for progress to be faster and really the players love it when they realize how much they can do.
When you listen to players who played so many hours of other good survivals to say that they cant choose between Ylands and others is a great sign and I'm glad for that!

• Upvote 1

"talk about is the respawn after they die on a other Yland than where they started and need do the entire trip over again"

@A3_Melle Yes, we watch those as well :) Just as I said - we have some future plans where the spawning scheme as it worked until now will make sense and will result in an interesting and fun gameplay but it needs some other features that are not in the game yet. At the same time we want for the players to have more controls over the game settings but it will, as well, come at a later date.

We had a discussion about this and as a result, we decided for the time being to let players spawn at the yland where they died because we don't want the new players to get the wrong picture. To be honest I think that under normal circumstances the "punishment" for dying should really be more strict than running 50 meters back to where you died to get everything back because it takes away some of the thrill - but these are not the usual circumstances. Players can still die many times without being really responsible or without any chance of avoiding that - be it because of the bugs or still rather unbalanced combat. Also the navigation has a lot to be desired (although in few days you'll get your hands on a provisional GUI compass when sailing ships ) and because you still don't get to see other ylands in the distance, it can get quite difficult to find your way around. Because all of this it makes sense that we now make it easier for the players. At the same time, we'll still be working on some changes and improvements for future and I hope to share those with you soon.

Thanks again for your feedback - it doesn't fall on deaf ears :)

• Upvote 1

@Aleš Ulm #SpoilerAlert: Compass inbound :)

And I am a ARMA veteran so i know what you mean with "it should not be a 50 meter walk" ;)

I of course have in the back of my head that a respawn beacon will be a thing in the future, it has been told several times, just those guys could make or break a good start of sales, the big + on that side is that they really love the game (and the idea behind it) and some are just screaming when they need to start running for animals or wenn they finally achieve a next level with unlocking somwthing they can craft and so far and this is still version 0.60 and we got a nice road ahead and they will do a video every now and than to check out the new updates :)

• Upvote 1

I think if you can set a respawn, when you die your itens have a chance to broke and you lose it, so you still need to be worried about die.

Just my opinion. Thanks. 

when you respawn  you have your testament ..and a map  - if you have crafted one.

Perhaps  when you "die" a marker appears  on the map showing the location of your tombstone. Maybe   also  you could be able to place on your  map a marker to indicate  the position of your  home base...or   ship mooring point   on an island?

7 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Actually, based on players feedback (thanks! :)) we'll be doing some changes to spawning/difficulty settings. We'll announce it either later this month or early January.

NOW THATS GREAT NEWS! #HAPPY 

:D Would be better  before   Christmas.... you don't  know  what you will  produce after  all the  Christmas festivities and  drinks ....:P:D