Felixanator

Help with Energy

Hey Ylands Team, 

I've just started experimenting with the energy system because I want to light up my house, and I found that it's hard to light up more than 4 lights at once. I tested a theory in creative mode, and in the picture attached is my set up. All the nodes are splitters, and they all have energy running through them (green lines), but the lights at the end doesn't light up at all. I've used one wind turbine which provides 20/20 energy, and the lights costs only 1 energy. Could someone explain what I've done wrong? or is this a Bug? 

Regards,

Felixanator 

image.thumb.png.2c62a6c15492510211fdb2edb46e7823.png

Each splitter consumes 1 point of energy or that’s what I thought happened. So maybe the splitters are consuming all of your energy before they get to the lights?

• Like 1

You need more turbines.

.I originally encountered the same issue.  but    solved when  i connected extra turbines  by  slotting in  OR  gates between the turbines and the  input stream. Connect first turbine to one of  the OR   inputs...and  connect the output of another OR to the remaining input  on the  1st  OR .. then you can connect  3  turbines and  combine their power.  I currently   run 5 on the roof on my base using this method  ..check the " dingoland"  thread in community  creations to see the  set up   ..i have  4  huge   lights on each  corner of  the roof  so i can locate  my base at  night.¬¬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, that cleared up my confusion. I didn't know that splitters themselves uses energy too, I though they just split the energy lines into two section :o ! Guess I need more turbines !

The nodes and energy gates also consume a point of energy as well. Once you're able to build generators, they'll provide multiple connect points so you don't need splitters immediately. 

Edited by mid endian
Misspelling

I made an experiment on each kind of Energy Generator and I notice that the large ylandium generator can light 5 wall lamps along with 5 splitters on each node. Can anyone explain to me how did I consume the 200 Energy on this setup? 

5 lamps cost 1 energy each
5 splitters cost 1 energy each

1 Large Ylandium Generator produce 200 Energy and equal division on how many nodes did you used. So if I use 4 output nodes means I will get 50 each.

My setup is:

Each output node, I stream 5 splitters parallel and connect the wall lamp on everyone of them. 5+5 = 10 energy consumed

I have a theory that this energy system isn't accurate at all. So I tested that by creating a simple stream of 1 wind turbine, 1 charging station 1 small switch, 1 splitter and 1 wall lamp. 

Wind Turbines produce 20 energy
Charging Station cost 10 energy
Splitter cost 1 energy
Wall Lamp cost 1 Energy

Test 1. Connect the charging station directly = Charging Station TRUE 
Test 2. Connect 1 small switch between(cost 1 energy more) = CS TRUE
Test 3.a Connect 1 splitter between (used 1 output from splitter) = CS TRUE
Test 3.b Connect 1 splitter between (used 2 output from splitter) = CS FALSE

In Test 3.b I used 2 output from splitter 1 is connected to the Charging Station and the other ouput node is connected to the wall lamp but the charging station loss it's power. So I tried replacing the lamp with just 1 node and the result is the same. No enough power for the charging station.

So I conclude that Energy Count isn't accurate since you can only get maximum of 11 energy per output nodes.

Sorry for the bad english :) Please let me know if this test is wrong.

Edited by Fishtea

6 minutes ago, Fishtea said:

So I conclude that Energy Count isn't accurate since you can only get maximum of 11 energy per output nodes.

Your font look so big for me xD, anyway I think the distance between generator also counted, but I'm not sure 100%. I was figure that out when building on my old house, I made small generator, and trying to connect single street lamp that have distance to generator like 3 large ship with 3-5 nodes.

28 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

Your font look so big for me xD, anyway I think the distance between generator also counted, but I'm not sure 100%. I was figure that out when building on my old house, I made small generator, and trying to connect single street lamp that have distance to generator like 3 large ship with 3-5 nodes.

I wonder as well but the layout I made for Large Ylandium Generator is Gen on the center and the first splitter is 5 blocks away from the nodes and 2 blocks interval to the next splitter. 

lol xD So all remain in mystery.. Ylands is game full of mystery and discoveries..

• Upvote 1

Yeah indeed it drives me nuts.  The wiki isn't updated correctly and no instructional video for this like what minecraft did on they're games. 

I haven’t had the chance to really play with energy streams and so the wiki is kind of lacking in that area at this point. Although there have been a few other people that have contributed and added basic info to it which is great. I guess this will be the next thing I should focus on editing in the wiki. If anyone knows more about energy please feel free to contribute to the wiki with your knowledge!

Edited by handofthesly

This was driving me a bit crazy so here is my theory on energy calculation. 

Setup - Windmill to small switch to street lamp with 2 nodes to splitter to charging station and festive lamp.  Problem:  when I connect the festive lamp the charging station shuts down, despite the windmill telling me I have 7 'points'  left.

Hypothesis:  Since each node is 1 'point', and the bodies of the splitter, lamp, and switch are one point, then the lamp and switch are in fact THREE points each - 2 nodes and the construct - and the splitter is FOUR points - input, body, and two nodes.

So without the festive lamp we have: switch (3) + street lamp (3 ) + splitter(3 /input, splitter body and node used to charger) + charger(10) = 19  The festive lamp then would add 2 more points - the other node of the splitter and the festive lamp input, causing an overload.

So the bug would be either in how the game is calculating the output at the windmill or the 'points' used by each construct.  There's probably additional ways to test this but I haven't had near enough coffee.  And I want to get back to playing because I seriously love this game!!

Edited by Vodalus
clarify

I was playing around with this, I was hoping to daisychain a few wind turbines. I couldn't make it work. Is it not  possible? It could just be me :(

12 hours ago, Vodalus said:

This was driving me a bit crazy so here is my theory on energy calculation...

I think the way the splitter works changed with 0.6. It now seems to equally split it’s input - half to each active output, so:

Windmill = 20, switch = 19, street lamp = 18, splitter = 17

At that point, if just one thing is connected it will get all 17. However, if 2 things are connected they each get 8.5 - not enough for the charging Station.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

I was playing around with this, I was hoping to daisychain a few wind turbines. I couldn't make it work. Is it not  possible? It could just be me :(

Were you using 'energy AND / OR ' devices?  I haven't done it yet but I'm assuming that's what they are for.

Okay done in Creative.  1 windmill to splitter to 2 chargers does not work:  20 - 1 = 19/2= 9.5 as TheSparkPlug said.  But 2 Windmills to AND to splitter to charger and splitter to charger does work:  20 + 20 - 1 = 39 - 1 = 38 / 2 = 19 to charger and 19 - 1 = 18 to charger > note you cannot split the stream at this splitter since that would result in 9 to charger and it would shut down.

Thanks to TheSparkPlug for the info!!!

Edited by Vodalus
confirmed

I remember reading something about this in another topic.  basically, splitters split the power evenly to both sides.  you start with a turbine, the first splitter takes off a point, the divides 9.5 to each output.  the more splitters you use, the more you divide the power exponentially (that the right word?) so you have lots of wasted power.

using OR gates can help you comnbine the remaining power, but they too take up a point of total power available.  you'll have to waste some power recombining your energy streams, then sending them through another splitter just to power another light source.  it's currently messy, buggy, and you're far better off using quartz or ylandium crystals, or lanterns.

yeah, current energy system is a mess.  why a light source can't just take some of the power, like real electric lights do, I don't know.  unfortunately energy system isn't a priority in next patch, so it'll remain fairly broken for a while longer.

4 hours ago, mid endian said:

found the topic covering these details, with illustrations.  check the link here.

Fantastic thank you.  I'll have to play with OR gates.  I was searching "ylands energy" so that thread didn't come up.  Yeah I think a semi-complex power grid is probably a rather niche function so I can't see that being any kind of a priority.  At least with the help gained here I can plan things out better!

"or"  is   either  or  both  inputs  to  combine  into  one output.  connect   2  turbines  through    one "or"   ..then   the same with another  2 turbines....    then  connect the  output  of those  "or"  gates  to  the inputs of  another. " or" gate ..prestop ...you  final output from this  "or" is the  total of the  4  turbines!

an "and"    gate means  bothits  inputs  must have   a   "on"  to produce an  output.     Its that  boolean thing  we learned in maths.. ¬¬

Boolean? Maths? Whoa there. American public school system didn't teach me that. Or if they did it's been way too many decades ago for this old goat.

Maffs...  adding   wun   plus  wun and getting   something  more  ..   it was probably  called  something  else...     these  days   they  have to  have   simpler names   so the   young uns    unnerstand ¬¬

We used to do skipping  in my days ..now its  called " jump rope" ...:P

2 hours ago, kimbuck said:

"or"  is   either  or  both  inputs  to  combine  into  one output.  connect   2  turbines  through    one "or"   ..then   the same with another  2 turbines....    then  connect the  output  of those  "or"  gates  to  the inputs of  another. " or" gate ..prestop ...you  final output from this  "or" is the  total of the  4  turbines!

an "and"    gate means  bothits  inputs  must have   a   "on"  to produce an  output.     Its that  boolean thing  we learned in maths.. ¬¬

So the display block technique used in the post referred to by mid endian is very useful in playing with these things.  I set up what you described and got 39 blocks when I would have expected 37 because of 3 ORs being used.  Then with just 2 turbines and 1 OR I got 19 blocks.  What got interesting is that I added one, then two more OR blocks in a chain and it stayed at 19!  I think this could turn into a very educational little tool!  Unfortunately all my gray hair acts like aluminum foil and blocks most input - but I'll give understanding the boolean thing a try since it will probably show up in my kid's lessons some day. 

Also since you would still have to split the stream at some point and therefore lose energy at and from the splitter. I think the main use of this would be both maximizing the initial combination of energy streams, since you only seem to lose energy from one OR when they are chained together,  and then projecting them over distance, or bending energy beams around for aesthetics (also I did notice that a cabinet disappeared when a stream went through it one time) without losing energy.