Ane

New Ylands GUI

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

The update 0.9 introduces a new GUI, and we feel that it’s important to say a few things about it.

Firstly - it isn’t final. It is definitely something we want to have in the game when we leave EA, but some features are still missing and we are already aware of some things that need to be approved (but we really don’t want to keep everyone waiting for this update any longer since there are other important features and we need the feedback).

So what improvements can you expect in a future update?

* you may have noticed empty borders next to the Inventory and Catalog grids. We are planning to implement “Vicinity” (those who know DayZ will find this familiar), so that you can easily place items down but, more importantly, more easily pick specific objects located around you

* we will be providing solutions where controls are missing or feel clumsy (like when you now scroll through a list of objects and need to scroll back up to return to the previous level etc.)

* tooltip hints will return to buttons

* mouse and gamepad support will return

We are already working on additional fixes and improvements, but we would love to hear what you think, what you don’t like etc. Please use this thread to provide as much feedback as possible. We understand that working with a new GUI where some things work differently may cause some strong emotions, but as always, we’re here, listening to what you have to say, and will take actions where needed.

Thank you (and stay classy! :))

Edit: 

Two more things that should probably be mentioned:

* currently there are no "make favorite" option in the GUI since it wasn't working as intended to start with (and wasn't even available everywhere it should) so we're working on new way of handling this which would be better, more flexible and we'd like to introduce it with the next update

* unfortunately there's still lot of old internal functionality present below the GUI's "hood" and it means that there's still the rather annoying bug where dragged items can become stuck between slots. It will either be fixed in the 0.10 or possibly in a patch before it comes out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

And yes, I'm aware the update is not out yet :P

• Haha 2

Know what would be awesome for the UI? Something like in ARK/Dark&Light (etc) where the UI "remembers" what I had on Slot X - even when I dont own this item anymore.
Especially on building and crafting this brings the effort, that you where able to craft structures just by pressing that button (if you had anything for it in the inv). If you would implement this...and improve it by letting me press STRG+Slot X to habe the "amount display" pop up to craft more than one - that would be awsome.

Edited by Apokh

Can't wait to try it. Also, because I hate change, I already know I will not like it the first week of playing it :)

• Haha 1

I want to stop changing the order when there is a thing that I was about to make and all the materials are ready.
I wish I could register my favorite things to make.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DK208 said:

I want to stop changing the order when there is a thing that I was about to make and all the materials are ready.
I wish I could register my favorite things to make.

I agree with this.  In Creative mode with the Creator Cube, you can mark favorites items, and even groups of items.  It makes it very easy to find them and use them again.  The basic crafting interface needs groups and favorites.

I would also like to see the ability to search by ingredients (like searching for any recipes that use Ylandium Dust).

• Upvote 2

I found searching to be broken during my first new game. I type the first 1 or 2 letters of an item (ROpe) and it displays. If I type the entire word (ROPE) then it shows nothing. After having exited and re-entered the game, searching now works correctly.

What happened to the item categories in crafting? Suggested crafting, etc? I've played enough to know what most things are that I need, but having tools, food, clothing, (crafting stations would be nice), etc in groups was useful.

VERY glad to see items stacking into and out of containers with a single click.

• Upvote 2

Hey, is there a way to make background image in inventory/crafting menu transparent? I don't like the fact if opening menus makes you "blind" or can't see your surrounding. In PvP  scenario that is the least thing you wanna do.. -_-

• Like 2

I don't like that it takes up the whole screen.  I nearly died because I couldn't see that a wolf was attacking me while  I was trying to find something in inventory

Also, the predator music seems hit an miss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

Also, the predator music seems hit an miss.

Which is an improvement on it being hit and hit... and hit.... :P

• Haha 1

Some needed GUI "Quality of Life" ideas:

1) GUI transparency slider (if possible)

1.1) ability to exit the GUI by pressing ESC button not only the little X in the upper right corner

2) add a "take all" button for furnace, foundry (all work benches actually) (i don't want to play clicking simulator 2018 especially with a game this good)

3) favorite button for building blueprints and crafting bps (you guys already mentioned it's arival)

4) possibility to mark a blueprint and see "<owned components>/<needed components>" on screen after closing the crafting screen (this will help when gathering)

5) some GUI customization options like window sizes, night mode/dark theme and so on

Edited by Ryk_the_Wizard
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Ryk_the_Wizard said:

5) some GUI customization options like window sizes, night mode/dark theme and so on

Absolutly :)  I want the same!

1 hour ago, Ryk_the_Wizard said:

Some needed GUI "Quality of Life" ideas:

1) GUI transparency slider (if possible)

1.1) ability to exit the GUI by pressing ESC button not only the little X in the upper right corner

2) add a "take all" button for furnace, foundry (all work benches actually) (i don't want to play clicking simulator 2018 especially with a game this good)

3) favorite button for building blueprints and crafting bps (you guys already mentioned it's arival)

4) possibility to mark a blueprint and see "<owned components>/<needed components>" on screen after closing the crafting screen (this will help when gathering)

1)  Or better yet, make the background outside of the box fully transparent.  Make it a true HUD.

1.1)  I am able to exit the inventory/crafting GUI by pressing ESC.  The only time I was not able to do it was when trading with an NPC.  And for that, I agree with this one.  Should be able to ESC back to the main view in the game.

2)  Yes, please.  I miss the "Take All" button.  With all the clicking there already is, we're going to end up with carpal tunnel.  Need at least a few ways to cut down the number of clicks.

• Upvote 1

also the windowed version was better because I could easily toss items out of my inventory by dragging them out of the window. Now I have to click on each item in inventory to open it's personal window and then press "Drop". That's one extra step that isn't needed.

I also want the "Recently Crafted", "Recently Learned," etc. below and category buttons above inventory back.

I know I haven't gotten use to this new interface, but it seems like all its doing is adding extra steps instead of making things easier. I like the new colorful look, I just prefer the old GUI.

You can still drag them to drop, and even CTRL+drag to drop stacks.  It's just less obvious where to let go of them.

The only "design" thing I'd like to see changed for now is some transparency while in the inventory, so you can keep an eye on your surroundings. Also I've encountered a bug where if you open the ingame shop in the editor you can't close it without exiting to main menu. I couldn't find the "exit shop" button.

Adrie

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2018 at 12:45 AM, Sortin said:

I found searching to be broken during my first new game. I type the first 1 or 2 letters of an item (ROpe) and it displays. If I type the entire word (ROPE) then it shows nothing. After having exited and re-entered the game, searching now works correctly.

Did this happen to you again? Or was it only that first time? If it happens again, can you please attach the usual logs? :)

In terms of accessibility what I miss is the lack of contrast on this inventory screen, the excessive brightness (we spent a lot of time on that screen, and it's too white and bright)
It is also extremely difficult to read the items. If the fonte could be more bold would be great
!

Maybe taking the luster around the inventory would be far more feasible to see what is happening around us.

We could have keys to move the tabs on this screen, keys like Q / E or LB / RB.
A shortcut to place the items in the active items bar as CNTRL + 1/2/3

Below is an example of my editing skills xD

That would make all the difference for me and I believe it will do for many other players.

Thanks you Ane! :)

Ylands bigboss silly edti print.png

Edited by BigBoss87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, V-Alfred said:

@BigBoss87 Awesome example dude! Even though it's too much cropped. xD I love creative community! Welldone ;)

I'm also impressed with my editing skills :D:P

Next time I promise to dress before uploading an image :D

Thank you

• Haha 1

I totally agree with a lot of others here. The background image in the ingame UI needs to be gone. Also the rest of the UI elements should get some transparency or adjustable colors.

Not only does the background make you blind with the UI open. It also feels like it disconnects you from the game since it looks so jarringly different from the game environment. Quite an immersion killer and rather impractical – especially since it lacks so much of the functionality of the old UI.

The UI does look ok as a main menu (though I still kinda prefer the old one) but ingame it really doesn't work for me.
(in fact it ended up bothering me enough that I decided to stop playing for now until it receives some improvements)

As far as the main menu goes. The old menu started you off by looking at a guy standing ona lil island surrounded by water... a perfect introduction for what awaits you when you play. The new UI looks more like a mobile app. Certainly nice but also boring, emotionless and a bit disconnected from the actual game.

That beeing said I think that both ingame and main menu should be somewhat transparent and show actual ingame scenery in the background.

Edited by Tajin
  • Upvote 2

Either action in the game needs to stop when I open the UI or it needs to be smaller and or transparent so you don't get killed while looking in inventory.

On 10/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Also I've encountered a bug where if you open the ingame shop in the editor you can't close it without exiting to main menu. I couldn't find the "exit shop" button.

We managed to fix this.

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2018 at 11:50 PM, Ane said:

Did this happen to you again? Or was it only that first time? If it happens again, can you please attach the usual logs? :)

Yes. This happens all the time. 

• Like 1