bojo2736

Things You Didn't Know

Put your tips, tricks, things you have learned here.

Things that help you heal:

Acai berries, restore one heart.

Bear berries, restore one heart. (I have heard that bear berries help with being cold, can someone confirm?)

Prickly pear, restore one heart.

Prunella, restore one heart.

You can make a poltice from aloe vera, arctic willow, sorrel, and that yellow flower that starts with a C (Celedon?).

You can use the poltice alone for healing. Or you can put it on a bandage.

You can use either a medicated or plain bandage for healing.

You can break hides and get rags, which you can turn into bandages. 

You can make straw hats, the break them up for rags for bandages.   This one got patched out.

Edited by bojo2736
Updating
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bojo2736 said:

You can break hides and get rags, which you can turn into bandages. 

rags galore when you find a vendor stand with a awning roof,  just attack the awning and rags rags rags. :)  in single player explore anyway.  Shh dont tell the devs they'll prolly change it :)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

When creating a new explore game, the “digging caves” stage reveals how many islands in your world, as the percentage steps are based on: 100/#islands.

(i know you can see this in the editor, but this is useful for those who don’t use the editor)

• Thanks 2

If you “dismantle” a crate inside your protection barrier you get an inventory container that can carry 6 of any type of item.

if you carry more than one crate you run the risk of losing items should the crates stack (for example, when collecting your items after dying). You can prevent this by changing the colour of each crate you carry.

You can use tools/weapons without having to remove them from the crate by right-clicking the tool into the interactive slot of your hotbar. (Be careful if doing this as tools used this way will disappear if they break!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sisel Agave is my favorite plant in the game. It is easy to make loads of yarn and cloth because it has a big yield, grows quickly, and regrows without needing to replant. Caution: wait until it has three leaves harvesable. If you harvest too soon, it won't continue to regrow.  You will still need to plant and harvest cotton and / or flax to use for white pigment. But get the agave as early as you can in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

... if you plant sisal agave in batches of 27 plants, each harvest will give enough leaves to fill 3 spinning wheels - which will produce enough yarn to fill one loom.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheSparkPlug said:

... if you plant sisal agave in batches of 27 plants, each harvest will give enough leaves to fill 3 spinning wheels - which will produce enough yarn to fill one loom.

To make 1 skein of yarn with cotton or flax, it tales three plants. 3 skeins of yarn equal one cloth.  3×9 is 27. So to make the same amount of cloth you need 81 cotton / flax. Which you also have to replant. If you plant the sisel agave, you will end up with more cloth than you know what to do with.

• Upvote 1

You can cook your food directly on a fire without needing to interact with it. Place two campfires next to your fishing spot, fish will cook automatically as you catch them. 

Edited by mid endian
Misspelling
  • Like 1

I built a hanging rack with fire pit underneath. I was doing it for decor purposes. I came back to ash piles hanging from the rack.

Wow, we can cook food over a candle? 

Was, was not expecting that but it works. Light it up, place it down without burning yourself, throw some raw meat on top. Best of all, no need to bash the campfire until it's gone or turn to Ash. Just pick up the candle and move on.

@BB cakes ...  yes  thats happened to me ..i put  some fish and   meat on a table .... and put  close by a brazier to keep myself and  guests warm   Came back later  and  there were piles of  ash on the table  where the meat and fish had been ... i wonder what   any guests would of thought of that hospitality! :D

Edited by kimbuck
edited to fix bad grammer... naughty grammer! ..

4 hours ago, mid endian said:

Wow, we can cook food over a candle? 

Was, was not expecting that but it works. Light it up, place it down without burning yourself, throw some raw meat on top. Best of all, no need to bash the campfire until it's gone or turn to Ash. Just pick up the candle and move on.

You can do several batches in the fire. Just interact. Bashing not neccessary. Fun. But not neccessary.

9 hours ago, mid endian said:

You can cook your food directly on a fire without needing to interact with it. Place two campfires next to your fishing spot, fish will cook automatically as you catch them. 

just tried it and couldn't get it to work.

EDIT: I take the above statement back. I thought it was instant but it does take a moment.

Edited by Kage-e8038c9be6912346

20 hours ago, mid endian said:

I was a passenger on a boat that had a brazier slightly behind the bow.  I was fishing on the bow and as I caught fish it would slide back due to the movement of the ship and land near the brazier.  After a few minutes I had a pile of roasted fish without me having to interact with anything.  Nice!

• Haha 1

A couple tips for Creative mode and working in the Editor:

If you take screenshots of your island, you can measure the scale of your map for pieces you're designing (this is based on my 16x9 1080p screen):

- If it's zoomed all the way out (the map is small on the screen) then each 1 pixel will be 2x2 grid squares.

- If It's zoomed all the way in (the largest it will go) then 3x3 pixels will be 1 grid square.

If you're working in the Editor, you add an item and want to set it to a specific condition (Used, Worn, Broken):

1.  Open the item's properties and look at the full HP for the item.  (Quick tip: You can also change the item's name in that screen.)

2. Calculate the % from that, based on this:

0% = Broken

0.1% to 35% = Worn

35.1% to 80% = Used

80.1% to 100% = Pristine

For example, if I place an iron sword, which is 600 HP total (I think).  If I want it to start as Worn, then I would make it 35% of that, or 210 HP.

You may know this already, but I just found out. If you are doing anything with a stackable inventory item, if you hold ctrl it will do whatever you are doing with the whole stack. If you are  placing a stack put it in one of the hot keys hit E to enter free placing mode, then hold ctrl and place where you want. I use this for storing stacks of stones etc, and not using an inventory or container slot. I made a crazy amount of sand in a short time breaking sandstone one stack at a time vs one piece at a time. 

when in editor, you can:

Ctrl+D to duplicate a single or group of objects,
ctrl+Z to undo quickly,
select multiple objects and right click>create group to effectively weld the objects together (break group option to undo that at any point)
select multiple objects and right click>set as indestructible to set all highlighted objects as indestructible

Also within the editor - if the save file you have is currently in night mode and you don't have time to restart the game, log in, sleep till day, log out and re-edit, just grab the campfire or bonfire from the list of objects and move it around as a light source.

something else from the editor

F centers the camera on the selected object
ctrl + c copy
ctrl + x cut
ctrl + v paste
ctrl + e edit group
ctrl pressed + left click to select more
If you want to create a perfect circle, use a reference point with a coordinate axis in the center, such as matches or bullets.

The reference point of a group or composition will always be the last selected block.

To adjust a composition to the grid, select all the elements, leave the last reference block, set the grid mode and click 2 or 3 times on the arrows of the axes to go to its place

20180320165853_1.thumb.jpg.415958eab92dab1ed6400302f15af3be.jpg

Edited by spyler.1989

58 minutes ago, spyler.1989 said:

If you want to create a perfect circle, use a reference point with a coordinate axis in the center, such as matches or bullets.

Interesting but hard to understand how you actually created the circle without a more detailed account of how you did it.

Everything else seems clear to me.

22 minutes ago, Onedown said:

Interesting but hard to understand how you actually created the circle without a more detailed account of how you did it.

Everything else seems clear to me.

Guessing it's a block with a matchstick or bullet a distance away selected last (making it the selection reference point).  Then spinning along that point and duplicating, you create a ring of the blocks equidistant from the reference point.  Delete the center, select the ring, make it a group/composition, ???, profit!

Or something...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Baz Foobar said:

Guessing it's a block with a matchstick or bullet a distance away selected last (making it the selection reference point).  Then spinning along that point and duplicating, you create a ring of the blocks equidistant from the reference point.  Delete the center, select the ring, make it a group/composition, ???, profit!

Or something...

Exactly, it is. Thanks so much for the explanation. ^_^

20180320184638_1.thumb.jpg.5550437f3c70e5168ccc840a9405accf.jpg

20180320184626_1.thumb.jpg.355cfe3640517a8f8a1b2a11cf05f839.jpg

20180320184819_1.thumb.jpg.d27de123d1587163f0c1cc2410867264.jpg

Edited by spyler.1989

I did a little work on exactly how big Vehicle Bounds are for the different vehicles, so I could plot out the exact grid.  Here's the results:

For both ships, you can build 50 blocks up from the deck, and 12 blocks down (about 8 below water level).  Be careful, though, as you get farther away from the ship itself, the grid gets less accurate for some reason.  Also, be very careful adding pieces under the water level, because it can make it very hard to move near islands.

Masts can be placed on any level you want, even if it's on the roof of the second or third floor of your ship.  You can even make a platform at the max height for the ship, and place the mast on top of that (for now).  They can also be placed directly in front of each other, and you will still get the extra speed.  I like to put mine all the way at the back, and the helm all the way at the front so I can see where I'm going.

LARGE SHIP:

The bounds for the large ship are 40 squares wide and 88 squares long.

8TPKbc.md.png

download full size image here:  https://lensdump.com/i/8TPKbc

REGULAR SHIP:

The bounds for the smaller ship are 40 squares wide and 68 squares long.

8TP7tK.md.png

download the full size image here:  https://lensdump.com/i/8TP7tK

BOTH CARS:

The cars do not allow as much to go over the sides.  Both will allow about 9 blocks up from the body.

8TPmax.th.png

download full size image here:  https://lensdump.com/i/8TPmax

QUICK TIP:  One cool thing I discovered while doing this...  If you're in Creative mode and you're having trouble working on your ship in the water, you can build a "dry dock" in the air!  Place a Floating Platform way above the water, and extend a bunch of 4x4 blocks from it in a line about as long as the ship.  Place your boat on top of it, going in the same direction as the blocks.  (Use "Q" to raise it a little and allow it to sit on top of the blocks.)  It will balance on your platform and you can work in the air!  When you're finished, use the Annihilator to destroy the platform, and your boat will drop gently down to the water.  (It might go nose first, but don't worry, it will be fine.)  You can even build another platform under it so you can walk around while you create the bottom of your ship, just remember to destroy it too so your ship can fall.

EDIT:  If you "drop anchor" while your ship is in the air, it will stay there even if you remove the platform.  So you can destroy the blocks, then get on your ship, raise the anchor, and ride it down the water.

Edited by Indomitus
added information

6 hours ago, Indomitus said:

EDIT:  If you "drop anchor" while your ship is in the air, it will stay there even if you remove the platform.  So you can destroy the blocks, then get on your ship, raise the anchor, and ride it down the water.

I might do that just for the "weee" factor. (roller coaster dip type fun)

7 hours ago, Onedown said:

I might do that just for the "weee" factor. (roller coaster dip type fun)

I know, right?  I haven't tried yet, but I'm kind of curious whether the sails will work while you're floating down.  Can a ship (sort of) fly?  And if you drop the anchor again, will it stop in mid-air?

Edited by Indomitus