Question

Greetings team!

First off I'm really glad to see the Blueprints system, amazing addition! Though I'm kind of curious, why is the blueprint camera not allowed in Creative mode?

Simple as that, create something in creative, blueprint it and when I go to Explore mode I can simply place the blueprint and get all the materials to build it, like in many other games that handle blueprints this way, there seems to be no harm in allowing this, does it? I would like to know (And I believe many others too) your take on this :)

Screenshot attached of a test little house I made to check the blueprint work.

Ylands_180609_175914.png

• Upvote 4

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

This is not planned at this moment. There are several reasons, but the most important is that in the Creative mode players have access even to objects that can't be crafted in the game. If you capture a house that would contain such objects, you wouldn't be able to build it elsewhere. From that point of view the only "safe" mode is Explore, where we know everything that players are capturing has been crafted. That being said, Blueprints will definitely be improved in the future, so any feedback is welcome!

• Upvote 1

I agree. Being able to capture blueprints in creative mode would be very useful.

I guessing there must be a reason it's disabled, if so, what is that reason?

• Upvote 2

Ane, thank you very much for the clarification!

I understand the point mentioned, now that being clarified, I would like to share a few suggestions/comments:

Blacklisting "Creative only" items:
Entities of animals, "Creative only" blocks, or items that cannot be crafted in any possible way could be blacklisted in a check line, how? Set up a list of items that are definitely not available/craftable/etc in Explore mode, and do a check: When the player selects a building to "blueprint", after selection is done there should be a back-end check to see if within the selection, there are any of the blacklisted items; Should there be any blacklisted item within the selection, an error should appear notifying that there are items not available in Explore for saving (Detailing which items on screen should help :) )

What if the player wanted to have those blueprints with non craftable items for creative only or custom modes?
A solution to this could be to simply let the player blueprint anything, and still keep again, a blacklist of items not available for Explore mode, and a check that if the player is in Explore mode, the blueprint could not be crafted because of unobtainable items in it.

How to identify non craftable/Obtainable items?
-Add a special background colour, or asterisk, or identifier to the item in the creator cube menu.
-Add a note or list of "Non Explore items" to the Codex.

Why would someone want to get their stuff done in creative and pass it to Explore?
-Less stress on building, having to correct mistakes that were found late (After an object/block gets hardened).
-Smaller building times.
-Easier "On the go" planning of buildings.

I hope this helps clarify my idea behind the topic.

Thanks!

• Like 3

I would suggest allowing players to blueprint anything. One thing is for sure, when blueprints were first announced, i suspect most people were thinking of using creative to make builds so they could blueprint then build in explore.

When the blueprint is set down it asks for ingredients. Creative only items have no recipe and therefore no ingredients.

Once all the ingredients are used up the process is complete, so any 'creative only' items will have been ignored.

If it is possible, some sort of message saying "the following items were not placed..." could be displayed but this is not vital - it doesn't take much to realise why an item might be missing from the build.

In the meantime, I guess we could set up an explore world with a PB, a creator cube and an annihilator. (I wonder what happens if I do that but use the cube to place a creative only item?)

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:43 PM, TheSparkPlug said:

In the meantime, I guess we could set up an explore world with a PB, a creator cube and an annihilator. (I wonder what happens if I do that but use the cube to place a creative only item?)

this is what I am doing. If I wanted to grind ingredients at the same time I am building, I wouldn't need the blueprint.

• Downvote 1

Actually, what I would really like to see is an ability to directly convert Editor's composition into a blueprint.

• Upvote 2

On 12/06/2018 at 3:43 AM, TheSparkPlug said:

I would suggest allowing players to blueprint anything. One thing is for sure, when blueprints were first announced, i suspect most people were thinking of using creative to make builds so they could blueprint then build in explore.

I was using the creative mode to make some builds for start fresh on the new update. Unfortunately they aren't allowed to be captured on creative. 

I think being able to blueprint from creative is a must and would help to improve the population on public servers.

The full workaround:

1.  Start a local SP Explore game.

2.  Open it in the Editor.

3.  Drop in a Creator Cube, and do any terraforming you might desire.  I like my entire workspace nice and level.  And probably a good idea to mass delete a lot of objects around the work area.  I deleted nearly everything from that entire island.

4.  Save and return to that game in Explore mode.

5.  Pick up the cube, equip whatever you need, and go to work.  You will have the Cube for infinite resources, as well as a Protective Barrier, inside which you can create blueprints.

It seems blueprinting already ignores certain items (which is about to become a new topic about in the Suggestions section, because it's ignoring the wrong items).

Tip:  If you want to maximize the space inside the barrier, stack 26 standard 1x4 logs end-to-end straight up, place your PB on top of them, then remove the logs once the barrier is active.  The bottom of the barrier will be just a couple grid squares below your work surface, giving you almost the entire height of the barrier to work inside of, almost the full 90x90x90 meters.

Edited by Indomitus

On 6/22/2018 at 2:58 PM, Seito-7f815597a5e33528 said:

Actually, what I would really like to see is an ability to directly convert Editor's composition into a blueprint.

Open the game in the editor and add your composition inside the barrier.  Go back to Explore and blueprint it.

Edited by Indomitus

On 7/7/2018 at 5:14 PM, Indomitus said:

Open the game in the editor and add your composition inside the barrier.  Go back to Explore and blueprint it.

Yes, but capturing blueprints in Explore mode is very painful still.  The editor option would be a much better, direct way to create blueprints, especially since most blueprint-worthy designs are made using the Editor in the first place.