spiritchaser28

POSSIBLY Soo....lets talk about resources

Question

I am happy with many of the changes 1.6 update brought to us. (Yes even the propeller pack nerf)

I enjoy the fact that now random encounters are more random and hard to find, I do sort of miss not finding a single trader though.....but that's not the main focus of this post

I'd like to chat a bit about resources.

Suddenly with 1.6 ....Coal and copper has seemed to vanish. People say it's on tier 3 islands but I have yet to find any lately.

I enjoy the steady hum of a steam engine....but if coal and copper are harder to find than gold....well I may just move back to sails for my ships

So....my suggestion to the devs is...instead of making the resources available by tier level......maybe they should think in terms of common sense and rarity. I can walk out in my back yard and find coal....but if I lived in Ylands....I'd find gold....maybe it's just me, but I feel this makes no sense at all.

And let's talk about zirconium......a few good weapons and one suit of armor.....can't we find more uses for this resource? Faster engines is a suggestion I heard tossed around, but not just that.....how about better propeller packs ( you did it for the scuba tanks), streetlights....heck even stronger building blocks?

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 replies to this bug / suggestion

5 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

I’m in a very lucky position that I have the NPC merchant Artyen on my Island. He sells and supplies pretty much every mineable ore including sulphur and Saltpeter.

I was luckly and found my map before the 1.6 so i also have the same NPC merchant. sells resources and even gun powder in bulk. but you can also make venders now apparently. i haven't trying the bird house yet

Would like to see some zirconium building blocks. So far i really only build from stone.  Trees make such a mess if you stack them for mass harvesting. Digging for stone is much easier with a drill. but do wish there was maybe a better zirconium Drill!! 

Gonna have to agree here, Zirconium and Gold are way too common now, copper and coal are now the rarest. I'm fine with copper being rare but coal should be in basically every cave.

Personally though I think generating ore by depth rather than in the cave is the best way to go. Mining in this game feels really good, but there is no reason to do it other than terraforming.

A variety of ore vein shaped Terrain volume templates, a little ray casting, and next thing you know you have believable ore veins all over the map. And a reason to maybe implement a quarrying

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnMFSteel said:

Gonna have to agree here, Zirconium and Gold are way too common now, copper and coal are now the rarest. I'm fine with copper being rare but coal should be in basically every cave.

Personally though I think generating ore by depth rather than in the cave is the best way to go. Mining in this game feels really good, but there is no reason to do it other than terraforming.

A variety of ore vein shaped Terrain volume templates, a little ray casting, and next thing you know you have believable ore veins all over the map. And a reason to maybe implement a quarrying

I haven't had problems finding copper and coal. but it is harder to find then gold. which is useless to have alot of really. not enough to build with gold 

I must agree with ore veins. I love the idea of being able to dig. but other then tunneling, and making your own caves to build in. nothing more to digging.
a quarry does sound like a fun build or even to naturally make as you discover veins 

5 hours ago, 6Cowa6Bunga6 said:

haven't had problems finding copper and coal. but it is harder to find then gold. which is useless to have alot of really. not enough to build with gold 

Well gold used to be somewhat useful when we had traders....the vendors sell a few things, but it's nice finding a trader like Morten, Andre and Ruth for basic resources like coal, glass, wood, iron, stone chunks and copper.....I used to trade ylandium dust....but even that is sort of rare now.....I just think the devs should make copper and coal more common....copper is rarer than coal, but it's not as rare as gold....it seems to be opposite in the game, but even now you can't find a trader to accept your gold....and vendors are fun....but I mean they got nothing I want....it's sorta nice to make a place feel more alive...but in the long run....I buy nothing from them.....maybe if they sold some copper and Ylandium dust and Iron Ingots I might be interested ......but nope....I don't want a pizza thanks

And Zirconium.....lets talk about this. You can make a few good weapons, some white and brown armor with decent protection a decent scuba tank.....and well.....that's it....I mean if it's considered as a precious resource.....I think it could be more useful

With coal and copper, yes it's more common than gold in real life.....but wow can't find any now....It's sort of pointless to build steam engines without the fuel....charcoal and wood pieces work, but dang......I don't want to chop down a forest just to make my ship move

Edited by spiritchaser28

I may sound like I'm ranting....but hey...we would like coal and copper to be a little more.....common.....gold can remain rare....and zirconium.....well just find more things to make with it....when I first started playing this game I thought .....ok zirconium is stronger than iron and steel......but then  I realized....I can't make one single zirconium...(or steel) block for my ships....I can do plenty of glass and wood though....so yeah .....I got zirconium but go ahead and break my glass ship with your flint knife....that sounds fair...

Edited by spiritchaser28

I’m in a very lucky position that I have the NPC merchant Artyen on my Island. He sells and supplies pretty much every mineable ore including sulphur and Saltpeter. More importantly however, he bulk-sells coal, which is invaluable for fuelling my steamboats.

When I’m out exploring, I tend to ignore Zirconium veins all together! I like the idea of using it for some kind of advanced power source or engine. Maybe some kind of place able battery for power storage?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Unless they changed it, you can make charcoal and it will work for the engines.  It's a PITA, but it's doable.  Do the steam engines no longer accept wood?

I don't know, I am playing almost exclusively on Legacy files.  Building is way too grindy on the exploration map, and I can't get items I need to be able to build the way I want to.  Exploration lacks any real appeal for me.  This was a special little game, now it's just one of may of the same type, and it doesn't do it as well as others.  The only reason I keep it on my computer is that it still has the best build mechanics available.  

@bojo2736 we are happy to supply you with resources if you want to build on one of the Locust maps (or any new Exploration map, for that matter). Since every resource is infinite, nothing is crazy rare (except cake. If you find cake, I will trade it at 10,000 logs/stone/etc per slice XD ).

About the steam engines, they can take coal, charcoal, or wooden pieces, or in-bulk using a coal basket.

15 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

When I’m out exploring, I tend to ignore Zirconium veins all together! I like the idea of using it for some kind of advanced power source or engine. Maybe some kind of place able battery for power storage?

Yeah I agree....I usually get maybe a couple hundred zirconium and I am done with it....It would be nice if it could be used for other things. I still like the idea of engines and power sources using zirconium. It does not have to be faster than the max amount of engines used for current engines on the ships actually....but it would be maybe a cool idea if zirconium/ylandium engine combos could  perhaps use less space......for example steam engines and ylandium engines produce the same speed.....maybe a zirconium/ylandium engine combo could produce the same speed with less engines?. I know 4  engines reaches max speed on steam ships.....so let's entertain the idea of a zirc/ylandium engines reaching the same speed only using 2 engines......it could also be used for smaller charging stations, better batteries.....etc....Just tossing out ideas

Edited by spiritchaser28

Oh and for the record....I have found a few good coal and coper veins on tier 3's now.....but they differ in appearance......so it seems a bit harder to find......instead of a large black area with coal.....theres a smaller square area that displays it.....same with copper, gold and other resources...so I'm tending to believe the resources are there now....but maybe with the color differences Bohemia is making us look a bit harder for them......and that actually makes a bit more sense for some of those types of ores and resources.....it's hard to pick out in nature flecks of copper, gold and coal....I mean everytime I go hiking I can look down and see tiny pieces of flint and it's quite common to mistake coal for flintrock (which can actually pretty dark) Copper and gold for pieces of iron pyrite and even algae.....etc.....I'm just commenting on real world colors though.

Edited by spiritchaser28

15 hours ago, 6Cowa6Bunga6 said:

but you can also make venders now apparently. i haven't trying the bird house yet

I haven't figured out how to use this yet.  Can someone clue me in?

16 hours ago, ocnoglittle said:

@bojo2736 we are happy to supply you with resources if you want to build on one of the Locust maps (or any new Exploration map, for that matter). Since every resource is infinite, nothing is crazy rare (except cake. If you find cake, I will trade it at 10,000 logs/stone/etc per slice XD ).

About the steam engines, they can take coal, charcoal, or wooden pieces, or in-bulk using a coal basket.

I might give it a try.  Details please?  @ocnoglittle

4 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

I haven't figured out how to use this yet.  Can someone clue me in?

I made a little video:

For the Locust maps:

Hippo is in the Arid region. If you friend me in-game, I can give you mayor powers. I don't remember where our storehouse is for resources, but you are welcome to build with it.

Locust 2 is in the Arctic region. If you friend @Mello1223, he can give you mayor powers. The storehouse there should be on the NW island, iirc.

I think @jchob is making a new Tundra Locust too ?

Alternatively, @spiritchaser28 and I have lots of extra resources sitting around if you need them. :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ocnoglittle said:

I think @jchob is making a new Tundra Locust too

I wish Bohemia could find a way to get Jchobs lost server back.....is there even the slightest chance they have it backed up somewhere???

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

@bojo2736 you are more than welcome to join all of us in building in any of the locust maps!! I am also hoping @Deadeye_Rob will make a public server to expand this effort....(if you need any coyns for your server Rob, let us know. Ocnog has already offered, and I am on board to donating more as well) He has some amazing work done in his Flintlock Caliga hall region, and it would be a nice addition to the network of maps we have all put our efforts in. I think we all want a "central hub" of trading efforts, and this is a nice option. I also have a Taiga Tundra realm saved with the best traders, and am considering making it a public server so people have access to the few traders that can be found, and it includes all the vendors as well. I have left the actual terrain mostly un- modified to maintain it's integrity.....the only thing I hope is people leave the Alpha alone on the tier 3 island....it's not much to ask, but it helps maintain a steady flow of ylandium if it remains alive.

• Like 1

@bojo2736 (Passenger and some others I trust from old school) knows she is very welcomed at Locust maps. Never told them it because they are very addicted to creator cube ? which you cannot have in new exploration).

Also, Flintlock is trying to make trading maps where we can share things and such, @ocnoglittle can explain it better ?

After what bojo and Passenger (who doesnt know, she is known as bbcakes in discord and a very old player) did for me, helping and explaining the game and "personal touch" it is at least what i can do for them. Sorry I cannot remember everyone, but Ocnog, spirit, mello, jrock, etc etc please welcome them and help if they ever show up. :) actually i miss watching them build while I was sat in my confy chair eh eh

bojo, they are hungry for resources because they are good builders and they always have something new to place in maps. So, getting resources should not be a real problem.

But yes feel free to build around and im sure many of us will show up to party on. Mainly spirit, that guy loves to build.

We had the Asgard which consumed a lot of resources and we all finished to feed it in like 10 min or less. You should have seen it, so pleasing to see several players working for the same objective.

Sorry about the off-topic spirit, but i just followed the conversation ?

Edited by jchob
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jchob said:

they are very addicted to creator cube 

Rude.  lol

But yes, having creative control has ruined me.  I need it in almost every game I play now. 

• Haha 1