Indomitus

Vicinity Looting/Picking

Question

There was a discussion going on in another thread, but since that one is supposed to be about an unrelated error, I figured it would be better to start a thread focused for discussing the new feature.  What do you think?  Good?  Bad?  Suggestions?

A couple highlights from the other thread, to get things going:

14 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

So help me out here.  I can open the inventory, I can pick them up.  But they aren't stacking.  So by opening the inventory first, i am not gaining anything but a couple of extra clicks.

14 hours ago, Indomitus said:

That's what I'm seeing too.  In the panel at the right, they will be stacked the same as they are on the ground.  In some cases, that means "not at all."  I guess it does gain a little more accuracy for what you can choose to pick up, but that is debatable.

I think it seems promising, but needs some work.  For example, the range is limited (especially dealing with the large drop area of a chopped tree) but because it is in the Inventory menu, you can't move and adjust your position without exiting and going back in.

8 hours ago, TheSparkPlug said:

Stacking is a must. A 'take all' button would help too.

6 hours ago, JgrPower said:

Based on your feedback we will also increase the range of the vicinity from 2 meters to 2.5 meters (it will match interaction range). We will not be able to increase the range further because we need to keep the looting consistent among all systems (focusing with your mouse and looting VS vicinity looting).

The vicinity looting is supposed to help with precision looting. When looting logs from a felled tree It should be easier for you to pick up only logs from the inventory then running around and trying to focus only logs between all the sticks, bark and seeds. 

Any additional feedback is appreciated as we definitely want to improve this system.

• Thanks 2

22 replies to this bug / suggestion

I really like the idea, but there are a couple things I would change.  The nature of what I would change, would probably require a full rewrite of the feature or at least a lot of re-coding.

1.  I think it should be separate from the Inventory screen.  Entering that screen requires an extra button press, and while in that screen the player is not able to see or move around.  I would separate the vicinity looting from the Inventory screen, and make it a completely separate feature.  I would add a new key command that activates the Vicinity Looting interface, and make it an overlay on top of the regular camera view, allowing the player to move around.  This would also require that the item grid is fully dynamic and auto-updates as the player moves.

2.  It would be nice to also have a similar feature for harvesting.  It could be an alternate mode of the Vicinity Looting interface, which would detect pickable plants or lootable bushes that are within the same range.  I would not include picking wood pieces from trees in this.  Such accuracy would help, for example, if we have planted a garden and we want to harvest the ones that are ready without accidentally picking the "young" or "seedling" ones in the area.

I used GIMP to create a mock-up of roughly what I would imagine it looking like:

Ylands_vicinity_loot_mockup.thumb.png.b0174a11e139747e38f53297ac030c30.png

• Like 1

Add  stacking and a destroy option and I am on board.

Edited by bb cakes_P1
  • Downvote 1

If possible it would be nice to have it exclude freeplaced items.

Earlier, I thought I was clearing junk from a chest and, when finished, realised I had just picked up all of the ornaments I had decorated my farmhouse with xD

18 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

Add  stacking and a destroy option and I am on board.

I think a destroy option could be easy for people who like to disrupt the balance of multiplayer games. In my opinion, it becomes far to easy to walk around on spawn island and destroy everything a beginner needs. I do think a more organized island looks nice and I know some items are used less then others, but do you want to take the risk to make it easier to disrupt the game? Maybe I am getting a little off topic over here.. But that should be something to consider.

Indomitus: I really like your idea, and I hope the game dev's like it too! Picking up items in this game is quick and to the point, and opening a whole menu just to pick up the item you need seems too much. I can't find a reason why it is better to open up the whole inventory, maybe to organize your inventory while you pick things up, but usually organizing is something you do after you picked up everything you need, right?

You're not wrong. I was thinking of a cleanup option for those who cherry pick what they want and leave the barks laying around everywhere.

• Downvote 1

Hello.

@Indomitus Definitely seems like an interesting idea.

@bb cakes_P1 I would rather avoid the destroy option. As @Mantje100 already said, it could be easy to abuse this functionality. Also all items that are dropped from trees are despawned after 30 minutes (unless you pick them up ofcourse). So you don't have to worry about bark flooding your yland :) 

@JgrPower I didn't know about the despawn feature, that's great!

About the Looting/Picking system that Indomitus suggested: I do think stacking items on this screen would be great, most of the time you want all the logs, or all the seeds. If it is stacked in this screen then it can -almost always- display all the items within the 2,5meter range (or even be very small! like in the example, 4 or 6 tiles). An other advantage of stacking is that you don't need the "take all" button in my opinion. 6 clicks are not that bad!

Edited by Mantje100

1 hour ago, JgrPower said:

Hello.

@Indomitus Definitely seems like an interesting idea.

@bb cakes_P1 I would rather avoid the destroy option. As @Mantje100 already said, it could be easy to abuse this functionality. Also all items that are dropped from trees are despawned after 30 minutes (unless you pick them up ofcourse). So you don't have to worry about bark flooding your yland :) 

Hold the phone. This is a feature now? 

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mantje100 said:

About the Looting/Picking system that Indomitus suggested: I do think stacking items on this screen would be great, most of the time you want all the logs, or all the seeds. If it is stacked in this screen then it can -almost always- display all the items within the 2,5meter range (or even be very small! like in the example, 4 or 6 tiles). An other advantage of stacking is that you don't need the "take all" button in my opinion. 6 clicks are not that bad!

If it were rebuilt to include harvesting plants as an option, a "take all" button would certainly be useful.  For smaller piles, or if it were auto-stacked, I can see not needing it.

For example:  While playing yesterday, I had planted a very large amount of Flax for the sails on my ship.  Nearly 600 of them.  That was almost 600 clicks to harvest all of them, several minutes of nothing except spamming mouse clicks.

1 hour ago, Indomitus said:

For example:  While playing yesterday, I had planted a very large amount of Flax for the sails on my ship.  Nearly 600 of them.  That was almost 600 clicks to harvest all of them, several minutes of nothing except spamming mouse clicks.

Well, you have to work for your money don't you? Haha
The question is: do you have to click a lot more for the cloths needed for the sails compare to other ingredients needed?
And yes, only spamming mouse clicks is not fun, that's why I try to make small fields a time, so I can alternate in actions more.

EDIT: What about multiplayer? You could destroy someone's field in no time.. -if.. there is going to be a way to harvest fields in less time, then we also need a way to plant fields in less time (for example a new machine or so..)

Edited by Mantje100

Really old post, but if anyone searches the solution to this, I found possible to do a "vacuum" mode while holding click using gaming mouse macros

I use an auto clicker. All I do is hit f10 and it picks up everything in my vicinity. (I can change the hotkey to auto click) It runs smoothly alongside ylands and is a lot easier on my fingers.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, spiritchaser28 said:

I use an auto clicker. All I do is hit f10 and it picks up everything in my vicinity. (I can change the hotkey to auto click) It runs smoothly alongside ylands and is a lot easier on my fingers.

Smart move! 

Please, add "Take All" icon/option. 

• Upvote 1

Previously the devs said a "take all" button could cause too many problems in the game. And I can see it causing it to crash. ?

But we can ask Aleš at the next Q&A (April 13th).

• Like 1

I know it could make problems (for example picking up things by mistake), but mostly during the game I'm collecting seeds and logs... "Take All" could be locked for safety and work only if you hold "ALT" (or other defined key) for example. Then "TAKE" would change into active "TAKE ALL". Also, it would be nice if we could select for example log only and click ALT+"Take" and only all logs would be taken. How about this?

• Upvote 1

I have list of things to be repaired or asked by many which never were made... I must say - after 2 years of asking we have boxes: seed, soil and at last! Tool Box... But water, birds, "pause" in game, options (for different styles of games, as it is all other "living" games)... Ehh, I played already Ylands for above 1000 hours. That shows much, right?

7 hours ago, ComR said:

Please, add "Take All" icon/option. 

Understand what it would be like to be able to take everything from players with a weak or intermediate computer. Now the game is demanding on the performance of the computer, and what would happen after adding such an option on public servers???instead of this option you can use some of the autoclicer program, which works very well, and many players, including me, use them in the game  ;)

I will give an example of why this could cause problems: if you had the opportunity to "take everything", the game would have to check all the items in the player's circuit, to which it checks the player's inventory whether there is free space or not. we do now in planting a lot of trees next to each other we cut them and so we get a quantity of logs in one place, in that case after pressing the button to collect everything the game would collapse, because at one time it would have to recalculate the quantity of information, from the : amount of wood logs and other things, player inventory, render graphics,etc...and all this in one moment...