Ane

Compilation of known issues [UPDATED ON 30/08/2018]

Question

Here I'm gonna compile the most common issues reported so far in the last few days. Note that we are aware of these and we are working to fix them. Some might take more time than others to fix, depending on the difficulty and/if we are able to reproduce them.

Once they're fixed, you'll be able to see it in the changelog. Be aware that this list doesn't contain generic issues like server issues, lack of optimization etc.

[UPDATED ON 30/08/2018]

* Items not stacking in containers
* Ship losing control (ie: when hit by a seagull)
* Crashes when using crafting panel (possibly related to older AMD (ATI) cards)
* Items being invisible when placing them on ships
* Rain/snow getting through buildings/caves
* Crashes in rain storms
* Ship ladder falls and when clicking on it, character falls through the earth

PS: If you can think of any other issue, feel free to post it here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

86 replies to this bug / suggestion

Can't walk under a roof overhang

In the attached save game file, you'll start at a point close to the location in question.  There is a stone roof that my avatar can't walk under without a glitch.  Normally I pause and / or stop unless I jump, then I can proceed under.  The height of the roof is a little lower than "normal" but it is at the same height as a regular door.

Cantgounderroof123117.zip

18 minutes ago, Butch1969 said:

Can't walk under a roof overhang

In the attached save game file, you'll start at a point close to the location in question.  There is a stone roof that my avatar can't walk under without a glitch.  Normally I pause and / or stop unless I jump, then I can proceed under.  The height of the roof is a little lower than "normal" but it is at the same height as a regular door.

always best to go one square above a door, when you say a little bit higher does thawt mean you free placed the roof?

Have an issue where on my p.c with AMD gpu i cant see any birds with ultra settings enabled whereas another computer in house with Nvidia see lots of birds flying

Ylanduim generator on ship.. connected 4 spots and switch on 1 on the node on the geneator works. maked an 2nd circuit on the generator.. 1 switch and 2 wall lamps.. there is where the bug starts when i want to destroy/or removing energy beams.. even in editor. Just wanna inform u about this.. amazing game anyway :)

19 hours ago, StickMansNL said:

Ylanduim generator on ship.. connected 4 spots and switch on 1 on the node on the geneator works. maked an 2nd circuit on the generator.. 1 switch and 2 wall lamps.. there is where the bug starts when i want to destroy/or removing energy beams.. even in editor. Just wanna inform u about this.. amazing game anyway :)

Yes, that's mentioned in the post as " Crashes when disconnecting energy streams "

Thanks! :)

I was playing for my first few hours into the game and I was loving it. However, there was a weird lighting bug that happened and the light kept pulsating, i logged out of my game and came back in and it was still doing it. I think it might have something to do with a lightning effect during the period when the environment starts storming. I had to abandon my current game and start a new one completely over so as to get away from that issue because it was causing some really painful headaches. here is a vid i recorded of the bug, i hope this helps! also, curious to know why the game is so resource heavy on my computer, i have a nvidia gtx 960 and even running it on med to low video settings seems to cause some pretty hard lag spikes.

Edited by Shock_Tart

Just now, Shock_Tart said:

I was playing for my first few hours into the game and I was loving it. However, there was a weird lighting bug that happened and the light kept pulsating, i logged out of my game and came back in and it was still doing it. I think it might have something to do with a lightning effect during the period when the environment starts storming. I had to abandon my current game and start a new one completely over so as to get away from that issue because it was causing some really painful headaches. here is a vid i recorded of the bug, i hope this helps!

I believe that's because your character is starving :) (the screen also flashes when you're freezing, for example).

It's not possible to turn it off, but in the 0.7 update this will be "improved" so that it's not so... "painful" :P

On 1/12/2018 at 4:39 AM, Ane said:

It's not possible to turn it off, but in the 0.7 update this will be "improved" so that it's not so... "painful" :P

I have never had one, but I imagine this effect is similar to an epileptic seizure. It would be nice to be able to turn this off in options or change the "hunger" alert.

I have a couple hundred play hours in this game with family/friends and this game is a lot of fun but there are some issues that definitely need resolved. Sadly, most of the stuff i see being addressed are minor issues that seem random and not common among a lot of players or not major enough to cause players to shy away from buying and playing the game. Just my two cents worth..but i feel major bugs/glitches should be the focus. That being said, I can mention a few based on what we have experienced. Some have actually caused friends to stop playing altogether:

1. multiplayer login - doesn't happen often and seems to be random. I agree with the game devs that this is either related to the steam network or the players network signal strength since it seems to resolve itself.

2. 3rd person aiming needs a lot of work. I have tested this thoroughly. While first person seems to work extremely well, the third person aim is a mess. most of the time, the player picks up items/hits targets way off from the cursor (even behind the player and out of their line of sight) instead of what they are aiming for. It is very frustrating and a major deterrent for people when deciding whether they want to buy the game.

3. Gamepad users often get frozen/stuck to the ground momentarily when moving across the ylands. It looks like and feels like lag but its not - easily mistaken for game performance issues. (you can check my specs below to confirm). Your character will run a few steps..then slowly walk/slide like you're stuck in mud. A patience killer xD  However, it only happens when using the gamepad controller and not the keyboard for movement. Its constant, not just once in a while. With talk of releasing this game on console as well, it definitely needs to be checked out first.

4. Another gamepad controller issue is how the cursor seems to scroll batsh*t crazy most of the time when you open your inventory screen. A quick bump of the right control stick seems to resolve it until you exit out and open it again. More of a nuisance than anything. I have tested it on 3 different controllers (1 brand new) and it does it on all of them. A few friends have also confirmed it.

5. Great to see the sharks no longer fly in the air or across our ylands. however, now they just charge up to the shore's edge and get stuck on shallow land where they sit until a player mercilessly kills them. Kinda game-breaking.  Not to mention, the other animals still randomly get frozen in place at times. eventually they get refreshed/released though, unlike sharks. 

6. Re-balancing - Since its still in Alpha stage, I'd like to cast my vote for some heavy re-balancing in this game to make it a bit more interesting and challenging (or add difficulty settings to give the option). Even in multiplayer, the amount of resources available compared to the amount used is insane. I can dig up 3-500 iron ore in a minute or two which is plenty for most all my needs for much of the game and this is just one example. Not sure whether decreasing resource availability or adding/increasing crafting recipes is the better solution, but since this is a survival game i'd definitely like to see some challenge added in the future.

7. This is more of a suggestion to address game performance issues as i have seen other games run into similar problems. As for implementation,  I leave that to the professionals :P    --- Since the game has 1000s of items and resources that it has to manage at any given time which seems to increase the strain on the engine/cpu coupled with the terra-forming being tracked the game could definitely benefit from some type of auto-clean system where items disappear (or things like plants, shells, other resources, etc randomly respawn) at some point. Maybe work it in as part of a new day or week cycle so that items are removed or replaced at some point. While its not as realistic, let's admit...ylands is about the adventure and realism is not the focus here.

Also, people talk about game performance as being an issue. My system runs on the higher end of the spectrum and it runs smoothly for me. So the game devs are getting closer to making it playable for everyone. Be patient fishies, be patient.

PC Specs:

i7700k 5.0 GHz (OC'd)

nVidia GTX 1080 MSI Gaming

64gb DDR4 RAM

XBox 360 Gamepad Controller 

Internet Service Provider - Google 1 Gig Wi-Fi

Edited by DocRock
Grammar correction/added another suggestion

In MP, I can't free place the last item in a stack. Example: I was trying to place individual flowers on a clay pot. I had three purple orchids. I could easily place number one and two, but three would not place at all. This happened with several items. It took me some time to realize it was always the last item in the stack.

I hope you can address host unreachable in the next patch. This is still a major issue for public servers as large groups of naked players crowed the spawn point for starting Island. 

One packet fail is enough, as if the game doesn't bother to retry. This is a crippling issue for multiplayer. The official servers are affected after all. 

20 hours ago, bb cakes said:

In MP, I can't free place the last item in a stack. Example: I was trying to place individual flowers on a clay pot. I had three purple orchids. I could easily place number one and two, but three would not place at all. This happened with several items. It took me some time to realize it was always the last item in the stack.

Does it always happen? Or does it seem to be random?

4 hours ago, Ane said:

Does it always happen? Or does it seem to be random?

It has happened a lot, but I couldn't say for sure. I will try to pay attention and tell you.

14 minutes ago, bb cakes said:

It has happened a lot, but I couldn't say for sure. I will try to pay attention and tell you.

Thanks! I'll add it to our system and see if your testers are able to reproduce it.

@Ane It happens everytime with plants. If I try to place one that is the last in the stack, or a single one, I can't place it. It seems like it is just the plants, but I haven't tested all items.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2018 at 6:06 AM, bb cakes said:

@Ane It happens everytime with plants. If I try to place one that is the last in the stack, or a single one, I can't place it. It seems like it is just the plants, but I haven't tested all items.

Our testers tried to reproduce it, but no luck. Any chance you could send us your logs?

28 minutes ago, bb cakes said:

Is there a link for instructions on how to do so?

Here you go :)

On 12/22/2017 at 8:55 PM, BretticusRen said:

I can't place a large mast on my ship. I built a custom deck on top of the base ship. I can make a small mast and place it, but it says "location is out of vehicle bounds" when I try to place large mast

Ylands_171222_205410.png

Vehicle Bounds includes the height.  I would guess the large mast is exactly as tall as the max height, and it goes too high if you put something under it.

Characters who perish in multiplayer die but remain in the same spot standing or flying as if they were alive, they can still open the inventory and manipulate items inside or craft/drop items while "dead". Unstuck teleports the player to the beach but they still remain immobile, the option to create a new character is still available but upon clicking it they receive an immediate hard crash and have to force close Ylands.exe from the control panel. logging out and back in is possible but without the ability to make a new character one can not ever move again and is trapped inside their "dead" vessel. removing the character and metadata via the editor is possible and after deletion will be prompted for new character creation without the immediate crash, but its very time consuming to load the editor, delete the dead characters, save and re-upload the world file, make new characters, and then hopefully retrieve the lost equipment. Some pieces of gear can not be removed (for example the propeller pack) and are ALWAYS lost upon deletion. Those who encounter this glitch while playing on servers that are not moderated are FINISHED, and will forever be locked inside the "dead" body making the server entirely unplayable after death.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:44 PM, Indomitus said:

Vehicle Bounds includes the height.  I would guess the large mast is exactly as tall as the max height, and it goes too high if you put something under it.

I believe if you remove the "Aft" piece, you will be able to place large masts above the surface of the deck.

you can place them very high above the deck. You just can't have both the fore and aft placed. If you really want the fore and aft, you will either have to remove some of your decking for the mast or place the mast in "Edit Mode".

Update: I think they fixed that with the update. I just tested it in Single Player Explorer, and I was able to place the Large Mast wherever I wanted.

*Note* after placing your boat, you need to drop the anchor before you attempt to build on it, or you will get serious glitches.

Ylands_180217_161931.png

Edited by SyxtySyx
tested and returned with finding