Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #44

Nah damnit, yes I LOVE all of what you guys are releasing.  How about the Dinghy, or being able to turn your headlamp on and off???  Come on guys, I've seen a lot of good requests that are reasonably minor to implement with time and effort.  How about the hang time on lag pauses that get incrementally worse with the amount of exploration you do.  PLEASE, I'm trying to not stop playing, so are a ton of other players and the lag is one of the major reasons.  

Now that I said that,  I love this community and the developers, even though I am a bit off in the head,  and no one has said anything yet.:S

Edit: Couple things i forgot, the sound range of the Chem bench and the generators and or Charge station are almost infinite.  They need to have an adjustment to the distance you can hear them.  Thumbs up guys, cant stand hearing my chem bench while in my bedroom from 80m away.

Edited by arkaeldren

Can you do something about trolls that fill my base up with huge amount of dirt/sand, inside my protective barrier! Pls remove any type soil placement by other players inside other peoples bases. Maybe introduce a token/pass item for those who are allowed to build inside protective barriers. Those items can only behanded out by the base owner.

2 hours ago, Nirish said:

Can you do something about trolls that fill my base up with huge amount of dirt/sand, inside my protective barrier! Pls remove any type soil placement by other players inside other peoples bases. Maybe introduce a token/pass item for those who are allowed to build inside protective barriers. Those items can only behanded out by the base owner.

Terrain modifications, energy edits, and painting by outsiders to the claim within the PB area will be disabled in 0.7 and more orb features are planned for 0.8.

Source:

1 minute ago, Whane The Whip said:

Terrain modifications, energy edits, and painting by outsiders to the claim within the PB area will be disabled in 0.7 and more orb features are planned for 0.8.

Source:

That's definitely a step in the right direction. Personally, I can't wait for mod support. Mods for administration and grief prevention were essential to me in administrating a Minecraft server, and I have a feeling the same may be true with Ylands.

Well it's a outstanding piece to read again, and the questions from Ylanders that were answered.

Can't wait for trying out the trading and see how the NPC's will be on my Yland.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, Aleš Ulm said:

@bb cakesEventually, yes - but not in 0.7. We're currently making some major changes to the combat system to make it more responsive and fun (that will be very likely included in 0.8) - we first want to finish this before adding hostile NPCs.

One thing that is very much needed is an area of effect around the attacking animals in melee combat. As it is now, unless you are in an absolutely bare spot when attacked, you are more likely to whack plants and then their seeds, or glowing mushrooms or rocks, than you are the attacking animal. To put it mildly, this is seriously frustrating, especially in caves where you need much higher hit points to kill off mutated beasties. Inevitably I kill off all the glowing mushrooms in the area, then the glowing beasties kill me.

This same principle is also needed when chopped trees spew out their contents -- when you pick up the logs and resin and other bits, it is extremely annoying to pick up all the plants in the area as well, even if you take utmost care trying to avoid vacuuming them up. You end up denuding whole areas of forest undergrowth --  which I like to preserve, especially in the tropical biome. I end up replanting a great deal of vegetation because of this.  If there could be some pick-up preference created for recently generated items, that would be a godsend!

Edited by ez1
clarity

22 hours ago, kimbuck said:

@ Barsian ...  unfortunately   you will have to start a  new  game,   Ales  advised  earlier.  But   its possible    to use   the  editor  function to move your  house   into the  editor then  back to the new  game  under 0.7

But  you cannot  move  yourself ... you will  arrive  in the new game in your   white  undies :$ ..and  look for the  house you moved across..

Check out  Keralis' videos ..and  also there's another  thread  about using   the  editor ...it  spells out the procedure

Thanks, about move house via editor i know, but thinking will be better just only spawn some NPC on current game, if it is possible.

Alright, here are some more answers (sorry for not replying to everything, things are quite hectic here at this moment :) )

* Yes, we've already discussed an option to milk goat and definitely want to have that
* Some mentioned the lag - we are looking into it, but trust me that it is not a simple thing to fix. If you see a lot of people complaining about something you can be sure that we can see them as well, it doesn't make us happy and we are doing our best to make that thing go away.
* NPCs / quest-givers in the existing games: no, you'll have to create a new game, but we want to at least give you an option to put a vendor into your game through the Editor
* Combat - combat is undergoing some serious changes (you should be able to see those first in 0.8). Damages and protections are reevaluated, controls and animations are changed and added etc. We believe it will be _much_ better
* Vendors prices varying on where you find them etc. - yes, definitely, although that will probably be a part of vendors' improvements introduced in 0.8

• Like 1

I already have posted this in the suggestions, but as it looks like this section does not get that much attention, am asking here. I know its maybe not that import for most users, but in the current state it is very frustrating to add water in Editor. In short, how about to add an extra button in the editor (like use world/local coordinate system) to limit the addition of water at sea level. Like, "keep water at sea level" or  "if this is active water can only be added up to sea level"!?

@~Chris~  I probably missed your suggestion thread - can you point me towards it or tell me what are you trying to do exactly (just one example) where the current water behavior becomes annoying or gets in the way so that we can take a look at it? thanks!

4 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

* Yes, we've already discussed an option to milk goat and definitely want to have that

This is awesome news for me :)

@Aleš Ulm there you go (Suggestion) Editor - Water Button - Sea Level thats his suggestion. @~Chris~ 

I kinda feel the same, I mean adding water in Editor is just pain in the head maybe because the nature is in freeze mode. And the "Toggle time freeze" button doesn't work or I simply don't know how it works. Holding LMB too quick nothing will comeup or too little. Holding LMB  too long, you will make water taller than surrounding water level.

xQ95WKaO8DRzYZRpdx4vvI_tmdemNuyUVrKVb8Kx
Note: Editing Explore mode water in Editor is simply like solid because the time is freezing.

Ge_njPV13rUPAr7RKeFV9euep9d5UzB3EhxxTKdI
Note: Background of this setting menu is taken in Explore Mode after edited in Editor just like 1st Picture.

If the time not freeze, water will eventually filling volume of its surrounding so the surface level become pretty flat but there is issue as you can see the background of the setting menu in the picture above, some water don't want to touch the dirt(right side of the pond). 

And the sea water also act weird, sea water as I know is abundant and chance of sea level decrease because someone digging dirt/sand underwater is almost impossible. xD

• Upvote 2

@Aleš Ulm Ok let me try to explain this. English is not my mother language, just saying, please be mercy with me.

Example 1: You want to build a bay, therefore you have to remove water, because it's not possible to dig/flatten/smooth the terrain under water.
Example 2: You removed a little island and you want to fill the gone land with water.
Example 3: You want to make a lake or a river on the island.

In every example you want to add water, but with the current tool it is almost impossible to do that in a smooth way, mostly it ends up by adding "balls or towers" of water. If you go in editor-play-mode the water will be something of flatten to sea level, but often it ends in regions where is to less or to much water and results then in visual glitches. In regions where to much water is added, it will happen you swim under water (raft or small boat). If you accidentally added to much water and it sloshed on the beach, it's also possible that visual- and sound glitches happen at land, like you are running on land, but hearing yourself running in water. Also had it one time, there must be sloshed way too much water at the beach, but the shark did not recognized that the water sloshed back and attacked me, like there is no land :D.

You see it can be very frustrating adding/working with water. I am not the only one who talked about this.

Therefore, like i said, a Button to limit the addition of water to sea level, would be nice.

My suggestion topic (Suggestion) Editor - Water Button - Sea Level
Here another topic by @Designated Drinker Map Editor Water and @Whane The Whip response sums it up response Map Editor Water

*@Velocifer was faster :$ :D btw thanks ;)

Edited by ~Chris~
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

* NPCs / quest-givers in the existing games: no, you'll have to create a new game, but we want to at least give you an option to put a vendor into your game through the Editor

What about the protective barrier (orb)? I'd like to be able to place it in player inventory through roles for my editor generated DS game. The best way to create a world for DS is through the editor, but it does not have an orb, or a broken orb.

Edited by Whane The Whip

14 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Alright, here are some more answers (sorry for not replying to everything, things are quite hectic here at this moment :) )

* Some mentioned the lag - we are looking into it, but trust me that it is not a simple thing to fix. If you see a lot of people complaining about something you can be sure that we can see them as well, it doesn't make us happy and we are doing our best to make that thing go away.
* Combat - combat is undergoing some serious changes (you should be able to see those first in 0.8). Damages and protections are reevaluated, controls and animations are changed and added etc. We believe it will be _much_ better
* Vendors prices varying on where you find them etc. - yes, definitely, although that will probably be a part of vendors' improvements introduced in 0.8

Thx for the mention about the lag, I wont bring it up again Ales.  Its a lot harder to understand "your" situation from my seat, great work and I am really praying for your team and this project.  "Praying" wasn't the right term, but you get me. 

Editor and water: oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation, guys. I'll discuss it with our designers sometime this week.
@Whane The Whip  You're right, that makes sense we'll look into it as well.
@arkaeldren No problem! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beginning of February, no specific date :)

• Thanks 1

I wanted to ask about something I have heard and noticed. I'm not sure if this is the cause or not but I have been told that if you tame a horse in multiplayer it messes up the other animal AI like wolves and bears etc on your Yland to where they will not respawn or attack you. Is the wildlife supposed to respawn? It can make it difficult to get animal hide for leather and is a source of food for survival game modes. I also wanted to throw out there it would be cool to have chickens for eggs as well as troughs to feed your horses. I know you guys have overwhelming requests for content and I am sure this has already been mentioned, but I just wanted to be sure.

It would be cool to see bigger Ylands with new biomes and infinite exploration since there technically is a limited amount of resources in survival, once a Yland is exhausted of its ore you go on to the next one, until you have hit your 10-12 then you need to start a new game.

Also with hostile NPCs will they be randomly generated / spawned once killed or is it going to be a one and done type deal?