Ane

Dev Diary #41

Hi there!

You know when it's summer time and your favorite TV show does a "recap episode" for you to keep track of everything that has happened so far? So today is one of those episodes :P

But no, really, I just wanted to take this chance to look back and see what we've accomplished so far from the moment the game was firstly released back in November 2015.

003_header.jpg

Egyptian Euphoria, released just a couple of weeks after the game was first out.

So it all started in November 12th, 2015. Originally Ylands was only available in our Bohemia Interactive store, as we wanted to "keep it low" and start gathering a bit of feedback. And since then... well, we've released 29 updates :)

• Egyptian Euphoria: the first items to the game were added, Egyptian themed in this case, including mummies.
  • Energy Exposed: the first iteration of the energy, that made it possible to create energy setups and have light.
  • Happy Holidays: a bunch of Christmas related items.

• Amazing Alchemy: potion making and clothes dyeing. And animals feared the fire from this moment on.
  • Gorgeous Gallery: paintings to decorate your houses.
  • Elementary Editor: the very first version of the Editor, that let you create your own scenarios.
  • Classy Containers: the first containers (you think you have it hard now? Think about the early ylanders :P)
  • Extended Editor: big features were added to the Editor, to make it closer to what it is nowadays.
  • Fancy Furniture: the option to sit and lay both on the ground and chairs and beds.
  • Happy Horse: first form of transportation in Ylands, the horse. Plus we introduced doors and keys.
  • Armored Appearance: a wide range of armors and weapons.
  • Wild West: gun shooting and Wild West themed items.
  • Enormous Explosions: explosives and catapults. And this is where we started adding Places of Wonder into the game.
  • Wicked Woodsman: the ability to cut trees down and lay traps. And the ever-so-useful Feedback Tracker was added to the game.
  • Enjoyable Editor: another bunch of Editor improvements. And we added more scenarios for players to enjoy.
  • Endless Exploration: the Survive mode changed its name to Explore mode and we introduced the whole "being able to sail to other ylands" concept.
  • Boats & Buccaneers: the option to create your own ships, even with cannons. Plus we added underwater Places of Wonder.
  • Playful Presents: the North Pole Factory scenario.

• Dangerous Depths: caves system, with mutated animals. For the first time it was possible to play the Explore mode in Multiplayer.
  • Fabulous Funfair: Funfair scenario. And we added the Codex to the game.
  • Wonderful Writing: we added books and the ability to write. Also, the option to sleep to be able to skip the night.
  • Stylish Sharing: the Ylands Workshop was introduced. And the option to choose where to appear after dying (again, you think you have it hard? :P)
  • Rainy Roads: being able to build your own cars, also using engines (in ships too), and the weather system.
  • Countless Colors: the painting system, padlocks, radial menu. And this is when the Ylands Store was introduced.

color2.png

A couple of weeks after the Countless Colors update, Ylands was released on Steam (Dec 6th, 2017).

Of course these are only the "main features", there are quite a few other things that were added here and there - 29 updates are a lot of updates after all :)

And many of these features wouldn't even be in the game if it wasn't for your feedback, so I think it's also nice to see how the game has been shaped thanks to you, and to see that we are all part of Ylands in a way :) I'd also like to take this chance to thank you for the feedback you've provided regarding the building - but more on that in the following weeks!

Going through all the things we've added to the game made me feel nostalgic, what about you? :D Do you remember the old times, when X feature was missing? What's the feature that made you go: "YES, THEY FINALLY ADDED IT!" the most?

And that's it for this week, guys! Hope you all have a great weekend!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The possibility of sleeping in multiplayer (yes!), the ability to exchange items, and the improvement of the map!
Thanks for your work, keep giving us some fun :D

The "Perfect Privacy" update:

- ability to play in offline mode;

- list of savegames maintained (only) locally;

- world saves no longer being uploaded to BI servers without our knowledge or consent...

wait... I'm early... that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for giving us so many good memories and fun times :D 

I notice that we the player rip through so much content quickly these days and this diary reminds me of just how much we have ripped through. Seeing the power of the editor however, I can see this game having great user generated content for years after it's release. Really look forward to what you guys cook up in this new update :D

Thanks again! 

Wow, I really was late to the game.  I came in on Countless Colors.

• Downvote 1

Oh wow, I just passed 4 big updates.. I'm getting pretty old in Ylands world xD, the "YES, THEY FINALLY ADDED IT!" moment for me is when 0.7 Cheerful Character, even though that's not as deep as I expected, but it's good start and atleast I don't feel lonely anymore in singleplayer.. :( :D

Soon there is another  "YES, THEY FINALLY ADDED IT!" moment for me, when more features come for Editor. I'm looking forward for that! :P

I'm more than just glad that I remember seeing all these updates ? Egyptian Euphoria was the first one I read about even though I started playing the game in December 2015. It has been very nice with you all! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And If I have to say what additions changed the gameplay for me the most... 

1) Containers. But I still don't use them as much as everybody else. When I see a video of a person starting on a new world, it's everytime a beach with furnaces and dozens of chests ? I just lay most of the items on floors or hang them on walls to have them ready. It doesn't lower performance as much as I would think it should, I haven't had any problems with item despawning and I think it looks more pretty. You can judge yourself.

2) Horses. The first thing I do when I spawn is that I craft a grass clothing. Then I craft the improvised axe. And the third thing is that I find a horse. And not just "some" horse. It has to be the brown chestnut one. Named Spoon. Don't ask why all my mares are named like that. It was very spontaneous and it stayed this way. I can't even imagine not having my trusty steed Spoon

3) Places of Wonder. I just love these. The best place to add more trophies to my collection. And the best place to screenshot because generation can be funny sometimes. I built one of my homes in one of these but it would help a lot if they generated inside the building grid. We could rebuild and repair all the fortresses and castles! 

These were the three most important additions for me. But I found something to enjoy in every update. ?  Thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

0.3 Wonderful Writing was when I joined, and it feels like forever ago but it really isn’t! 

What I remember the most was when the new weather system was implemented and being shit scared of the thundery storms ? as well as the cars, they were a heap of fun to test out

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1